Childhood diabetes

1989Cohunter

Very Active Member
My 5 year old was just diagnosed. We are now spending a few days at children’s hospital to level him back out. I’m wanting to know other peoples experiences with this. It’s a huge learning curve.

My daughter was diagnosed with it when she was 10 years old. She is now 28 it’s been a tough go but she manages it pretty good. It’s definitely life-changing for the whole family. She has good days she has bad days. Five years old that’s tough. Do your research and get all the support you can find. Good luck I know what you’re about to go through.

My wife’s friend has a young son dealing with this too. There are apps , he must have a little embedded monitor, and they monitor him with that. Remind him to eat whatever he needs to.
He plays sports now I think? He seems like a normal kid to me. Maybe look into it? Probably already know; but , you can do this!
God bless your family. Take care.

We can banter back and forth and make fun of one another in a good spirited way. I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone on this forum, especially their family. Hope you both are able to work thru it to a long happy life for your children.

We’ve learned a lot at children’s. It gunna be hard but we will be fine. I have no doubt it’s going to be hard. But we will make it, there is a lot of tech to help support. I’m just drained but don’t have the time to be.

Rough road, it will take time and a effort to get a grip on it. Everyone is different so books and Apps will only do so much. It's a work in progress.

Rough road, it will take time and a effort to get a grip on it. Everyone is different so books and Apps will only do so much. It's a work in progress.
We are going to do it the hard way for awhile to get a grasp of it all. The little wins so far make things a lot better.

I have a nephew that got slammed with type 1 about 5 years ago. He is 22 now. It has been a rough go for him because of how much it changed his lifestyle. He went through a phase of not wanting to live. He still struggles to take care of himself now that he has moved out of his parents home. There been a few scares with him passing out and being saved only because he was with friends when it happened. He’s a fit kid. Just got hit with a virus that attacked his pancreas and started the whole type 1 journey.

Just got word last week that my sister in-law now has type 1. She is 39 years old. Very rare To get type 1 when you are older. She almost died before they could diagnose her. No one knew what was wrong. She was losing weight fast and always tired. Finally, she started slurring her speech and could not tell my brother who she was. He and his son drug her in the car and raced her to ER. They said her numbers were over 1,000 and there is no reason why she should still be alive and a good chance she would not recover before they can get her numbers back down. God willing, she survived and is on a rough road to recovery before she embraces her new lifestyle. She is still too weak to do anything on her own. But she is surrounded by those who love and support!

Major take away from all this, and like others have said, educate yourself through the experiences of others, and have that support group at all times to keep the little ones going!

Really sorry to hear about these youngsters going through this at their age. It isn’t fair. Hang in there! The best thing you can do for them is keep on loving them and being their #1 support system! There may come a time or two that they don’t want to go through those challenges any more. But they will remember you and all others who have sacrificed so much to see them through and that alone will keep them going strong!

Wow, Sorry to hear this from all you that are effected by this in different ways. Sure makes a person think about others and what they are or may be going through. Wish you all the best. Hang in there. Sure makes any of my problems seem minimal. Just sucks when things like this effect and happen to the young. On a more positive note, my sons played ball and I coached a kid that had this and was always poking him self and needing to give himself the shots. We all just kept an eye out for him. He always did well and never missed out on anything the others were doing, just had to do wait he needed to do to stay in check. Still great friends with him nd his parents to this day. ?

Welcome to the diabetes club! One of my sons was diagnosed at age 7 (he’s 16 now), and my daughter was diagnosed at age 13 (she’s 15 now). I’m also a Type 1 diabetic and have been for 28 years, so needless to say our home is filled with diabetic supplies, insulin, test strips, etc. It’s certainly a lifestyle change, but it doesn’t mean your son won’t be able to live a normal life. My kids play high school sports, they hunt, fish, swim, and do everything they want to. Just gotta learn to count carbs, and ensure that the insulin amount matches the carb amount. Once you get the shots figured out (I assume with a pen), I’d recommend getting an insulin pump as soon as you can. Fewer shots, and much better control.
Also, get involved in your local JDRF. You’ll meet tons of people and your son will meet lots of friends just like him. We always say that Heavenly Father only gives Diabetes to his toughest kids! Best of luck, and feel free to reach out if you have questions.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 8 yrs old. I turn 41 this year. I’ve been lucky. Pretty easy to maintain and never had the desire to rebel against it. Definitely needed the help of my family and friends And hunting buddies. Everyone was great though. As crazy as it is…..….I think it’s a blessing to be younger when diagnosed. Because then it’s just life. I took shots for 27 yrs and then got a pump. Highly recommend the pump once you get your head wrapped around it. There is No reason for diabetes to hold anyone back from doing anything these days and with as many people that are being diagnosed seems like your not left on an island alone being the only one with it. It can and will be hard but if you can try and make it no big deal he won’t think twice about it. You’ll do great. Good luck. Feel free to hit me up anytime. 801-834-2557

I will say as of now, it’s hard but we have wins everyday. He has been doing well with the changes so far. My wife and I have a lot to learn but it’s ok.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom