Chili Recipes

completesportsman

Long Time Member
I have some ground venison in the freezer that I need to eat before it gets too old. Was wanting to make some chili.

Anyone have any good chili recipes for ground venison?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-09 AT 06:06PM (MST)[p]id like to know as well. cant wait for the responses!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-09 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]Chili is one of those dishes that is very versitile and must be made to satisfy the tastes of whom ever you are sharing it with.

I've seen hundreds of different chili recipes. It seems like the people from the east prefer a sweeter chili. Alot of the east coast recipes call for brown sugar, honey, etc... Southwestern tastes are way different, we like it hot and spicey. My self I'm an AZ guy but I like TX style chili the most. TX style is no bean chili. Cumin spice, garlic, onions, red chili & meat, lots of meat.

So here's my recomendation for you: Step 1: Figure out your taste. Step 2: Then visit this web site- www.chilicookoff.com (you do not have too join to access the recipes). Step 3: Start out with a recipe that sounds good.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
-Ted Nugent-

Thanks for the link, the TX chili sounds the best to me too!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-09 AT 12:40PM (MST)[p]I never make this one the same way twice, but one batch tied me for first in a chilli cook-off: Jack Daniels Sweet Venison Chilli:
1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2-3 jalepeno peppers, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 pound of burger
Sautee these in olive oil (meat separate), preferrably the night before

In a crock-pot, add the above ingredients, along with
2 tablespns of chilli powder(add to taste)
2 teaspoons of cumin
1 bay leaf
4 tablespns of brown sugar
1 cup beef stock or venison stock if you have it(more if necessary)
1 can kidney beans(I like my chilli more meaty, add more beans if you like)
1 4 oz can tomato paste
1 can of tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes

Let this cook 3-4 hours on low. Get a bottle of Jack and sample. Add 1/2 cup of Jack and stir. Sample the Jack again. Let cook on low a few more hours. Salt and pepper to taste. Keep some chilli powder on hand, but be carefull not to add too much. Keep some beef stock on hand to thin out as needed.

Copying this from my post a couple weeks ago. This is a chili I've tried and like it a lot. A unique smokey flavor from the liquid smoke.
This is a receipe I got via Matt Pelton (author of From Mountain to Tabletop) who said he's won several chili contest with it. So the credit goes to him.
Beartrackers Mule Skinner Chili
This receipe serves about 8 people so adjust as needed although the great thing about chili is, it is always better the next day so leftovers are great!
1 . Cut up 2 lbs of fresh meat into bite size cubes (no ground meat) and set aside in a large bowl.
2. Cut up 1 large yellow onion into slivers and fry in butter until clear. Place in the bowl with the meat.
3. Cut up 1 lb. breakfast sausage links into bit size pieces and fry them until browned, drain grease and add to meat.
4. Open 2 small cans of Pinto Beans (remove the juice) and 1 can of Black Beans (with the juice) and add to meat.
5. Open 1 can of Crushed Tomatoes or add 2 fresh medium size tomatoes diced. Add to meat.
6. Mince 2 garlic cloves and add to meat.
7. Put the mixture in a Crock Pot, Dutch Oven or Large Saucepan.
8. Start cooking on low heat.
9. Add ? bottle of strong malty beer.
10. Add ? cup of Honey
11. Add 2 Bay Leaves
12. Add 4 Tablespoons of crushed Black Peppercorns.
13. Add 4 Tablespoons of Tapitio, Valentina,or Cholula Hot Sauce or add 4 dried Chile de Arbors (available in the Latin food aisle of most grocery stores. This adds to the overall spiceness so season to your own taste/desire.
14. Add 2 Tablespoons of Molasses.
15. Add 2 Chicken Boullion Cubes
16. Add 1 teaspoon Cumin
17. Add 2 teaspoons of salt (add more to taste prior to serving)
18. Add 3 Tablespoons of Liquid Smoke mesquite.
19. Cook slow on low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
20. Remove bay leaves (if whole) before serving.

RE: Chili Recipes REAL EASY

The easiest chili recipe I've found (tastes great also) is as follows:
Ingredients: 2 TBs butter or olive oil
2 LBs leftover roast beast. (cut into chunks)
2 LBs browned ground meat (drained)
2 med onions chopped.
2 cans diced green chiles
1 24 oz bottle ketchup
1 can (32 oz) kidney beans
1 can (32 oz) diced tomatoes
In a good sized pan saute the onions in butter or olive oil
add the meat, chiles, ketchup,beans, and tomatoes. Bring to a
boil then simmer for 30min. If the chili is too thick add
soda or beer to desired thickness.
Add salt and pepper to taste. This chili is quite mild. If
you want heat add some diced jalapenos or favorite hot
sauce. If you like the cummin flavor add 1/2 ts of that. I
usually prefer to add more diced chiles rather than chili
powder for more chili flavor.
Give it a try. It works great in a Dutch Oven and is easily
prepared.

RE: Chili Recipes REAL EASY

Lots of Chile recipes out there. The easiest is go down to the local grocer and buy one of those jars in the salsa isle. Make sure you buy the Red chile Sauce (not salsa too tomatoey, make sure it is chile sauce) look for brands like Sadie's, Old El Paso, El Pinto, or some from NM. The sauce is already spiced. Cook your cubed meat, preferrably pork and just toss the sauce in.
Or you can use dry chile pods, reconstitute them blend them mix into the cooked meat after you add a tablespoon of flour and brown it. Then make it similar to gravy. Add garlic, cummin (very little), salt to taste and simmer until it resembles gravy. I use Sandia hot chile pods and make it NM style like you use in enchiladas. If pods are too difficult use powdered chile, dissolve a table spoon in hot water, and mix it into the meat similar to making gravy spice as above and enjoy! Or
Google New Mexico Red chile sauce for recipes.

Hey guys,

I know this is an old post but when I saw it I had to share.

I have tried a lot of different recipes for Chili and wild game and I finally found one that is very easy to make and is very good.

Makes a very good chunky chili with just the right spice. You can spice it up more or use less chili powder, depending on your preference.

I typically use Elk Burger, but Deer Burger works just as good.

I think I am going to make another batch this weekend now.

I have used the dutch oven method and a crockpot. Works fine either way, just make sure you use a large dutch oven or crockpot! This makes a good haul of Chili.

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

I got this from the NAHC website.

Hunter?s Chili
From Celebrating Wild Game
By: NAHC Member James Scheffelmaier
3 lbs. ground big game
1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
3 medium green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 T. dried parsley flakes
2 T. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1 T. black pepper
2 cans kidney beans, undrained
1 can pinto beans in molasses, undrained

In Dutch oven, brown meat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside. Cook chopped bacon and add to browned meat, reserving bacon grease. Saut? onions, green peppers, celery and garlic in bacon grease until tender. Add tomatoes, parsley, chili powder, salt and pepper to Dutch oven. Heat to boiling, cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour to blend flavors. Stir in kidney and pinto beans and cook uncovered for 30 minutes. Serve with garlic toast.

OSOK that's what so neat about this forum. It's not about how old this post is, it's about building the world's greatest online cookbook. This is a place that all of can come to for great tips and ideas.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

Grab some Wick Fowlers packages at the grocery store. If you like beans add the trappeys jalipinto beans with juice. The longer it cooks the better. I use the family recipe but the two alarm is a litle hotter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom