Christensen Arms Ridgeline 300 Win Mag

Hunterman1966

My son let me borrow his rifle for my upcoming elk hunt in Utah. I loaded up some ammo for his gun and I'm not grouping very well out to 300 yards. I loaded 68 grains of IMR 4350 using a 200 grain Nosler Accubond. I've read a few articles to change powder to possibly Hodgdon H1000 or would a 180 grain projectile be best?

77gr H1000
Hornady 212gr Eld-x
Federal 215 primer
3.4 COAL
AVG 2989fps
SD 7
ES 12
28" pipe sub MOA
Start at 76 and work up. I pushed to 79gr and Avg'd 3038 with minimal pressure but accuracy reduced to 2"

I have worked on loads for 3 different ridgeline rifles. They all liked the H1000 , Berger 215 hybrid combo with the federal 215's or CCI250's primers.
Best results have been loading them between -.01 and -.04 thousands off the lands. Depending on brass, I would start around 74 grains and work up.
If you want a factory load, try nosler trophy grade with the 180 accubond or the Berger loaded ammo with the 215 hybrid.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get some H1000 along with the Berger's. Every place I've checked here in Utah is out of H1000.

The Berger 215 grain hybrids list them as a target projectile. Will they work okay on big game? Also my rifle has a 1-10 twist. I believe the hybrids said 1-9 twist. Will this be a problem? Also explain what lands mean. Thank you.

H1000 is really hard to find nowadays. There are a lot of opinions out there on the Berger bullets for hunting. Personally, I have never had one fail on me and I have never seen one fail.

I was a big fan of the 210 hunting vld. The one thing I didn't like was they were really sensitive to seating debth. The "on game performance " was amazing. When they released the 215 hybrid, I contacted Berger for some information. Per Berger, "they are target bullets by design ".

I loved these bullets and they shot unbelievably well. I ended up staying with the 210's. I had a friend that bought a ridgeline and asked if I could help him with load development. He insisted on the 215 hybrid. I gave him the "these are target bullets spill" and was not changing his mind.

He reported excellent accuracy and great terminal performance. I called Berger again and they stuck with "target bullet " but did say people were hunting with them and reporting good performance.

I did a quick search and found well documented testing on this bullet used for hunting. The gentleman doing the testing was Jeff Brozovich. Goes by the name of Broz on most forums. I would highly recommend you look over his data if you are questioning the effectiveness and decide if it's a option based off your expectations.

I have used these bullets with great success. All rifles I tested with 10 twist barrels have stabilized these bullets. When referring to "off the lands", I'm am talking about the distance from the bullets contact with the rifling of the barrel. Christian Arms 300 win mags will accommodate the Berger 215's nicely. I personally do not like my hunting bullets to contact or be jammed into the rifling so I keep them off at least -.01.

I would also like to mention. I believe Berger load data lists around 71 grains of H1000 as a starting load.

I have noticed there are some "hot batches " of H1000, so you should always start low and work your way up.

The Berger 215 grain hybrids list them as a target projectile. Will they work okay on big game? Also my rifle has a 1-10 twist. I believe the hybrids said 1-9 twist. Will this be a problem? Also explain what lands mean. Thank you.
The 215 is a proven killer on Elk, shoot it with confidence. Where in Utah are you? I may have some H1000 I could part with.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom