Christmas Trees

BCBOY

Long Time Member
Just got my Christmas tree this morning. Walked out the door and cut a nice Doug Fir in the patch of bush next to the house. How many of you guys still cut your own trees? Or is buying one from the Boy Scouts your tradition? I suppose that there are actually some that pull an artifical out of the attic every year.
My tradition is to cut one and drag it home every year. I guess it makes it feel more like the holidays that way for me. But most of all, IT IS THE MANLY WAY TO CELEBRATE THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT!!! (Bark like Tim the Tool Man Taylor). Not, like all you gift swappin', sweater knittin', cookie bakin', "Eye on the Queer Guy", Girly Men know much about that!!! LMAO!!!

BC I am from Az. and we used to put in every year to get a permit to go up to the mountains and cut down our tree. It was a great yearly event. We could put in for 10 permits in a single draw so we would end up going with a large group of friends. I don't know whether it made me feel any more manly(arrgg...arrgg...argg..),but I did used to kid everyone about how hard it was to find the true trophy trees, and how it took a skilled hunter to get the true trophies! I miss those days!

Tree Farm for me! It would be cool to walk out and be able to cut your own though.

"Not, like all you gift swappin', sweater knittin', cookie bakin', "Eye on the Queer Guy", Girly Men know much about that!!!"

I've been away for awhile, so I'm not too sure what that's all about. Guess I need to do some browsing huh? Or do I really want to find out?

BTW- BCBoy, I sent you a pm.

Later-

BCBoy, do you trim the tree yourself? By trim I mean decorate.

usmap3.gif

KS,
With the hassel I always seem have trying to get the thing to stand up straight and not fall over (normally lots of cursing which is part of the holiday spirit), I normally leave the triming to my wife and kids. LOL!

I do not pull the artificial tree out of the attic.... it's in the basement! I spend enough time falling and cutting firewood trees that I'm not real interested in more.

We use to ride our horses up to a nice little patch of nobles by Mt. Adams and haul em' out. I still cut my own, but it is a little closer to home.
Eric
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

Fake all the way!!!!. It's neat, clean, and easy!!!. but what do you expect from a cheesehead???. Canada probably doesn't have indoor plumbing yet!!!LOL!!!. BC, We us to go out every year and cut our own but since the kids have gotten older (teens) it's gotten allot easier to have the fake tree. It does sound kind of weird though when the kids ask " Dad when are you going to get the tree out of the attic"??. Merry Christmas...........

PB,
I can remember years ago my bro and I came home from College for the Christmas break. My mom wanted us to go get a tree and my bro and I wanted a much needed horseback ride so we took the horses. We found a nice bushy fir and drug it behind the horses. When we got home one side was completely bare of needles. Man, was mom pissed. LOL! But she stuck it in a corner with the bare side to the wall and it didn't that bad. LOL!

Haahaaa... It works a lot better if you wrap it in an old chunk of canvas, or if there is a lot of snow. A budy of mine went out with his horse to get a tree (all liquored up)an wound up dragging it top first. Needless to say, it was in sad shape when he got it to the trailhead. I think that tree trunk sat at the trailhead for about 4 years. Haaahaaa... what a dingus!
Eric
Bird-01.gif
075313.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

BCBOY:
Good to hear. It's manly to cut and drag it, but not to decorate. Have a very good Christmas. You're sure to have a white one up there. Thanks for taking some ribbing. Are you sure you don't want a little gift exchange!
Matt

usmap3.gif

Hey BC, you better be careful of them squirels in the tree. You'll have a Christmas Vacation scene on your hands.
We have always bought a tree until this year. We have 10' ceilings so a tree that doesn't look like a runt is almost a $100. So we decided to send the $200 and not have to worry about it for a long time. Guess I'll have to buy a pine scented air freshener.

dang, bc, i'm sorry i read your post...i was gonna send ya a little something for xmas, but you kinda broke my spirit

bc...i took your advice and went out and found some wood and cut it up and brought it home...gee, i feel better already

fa54ef65.jpg

fa54ef60.jpg

Nothing but a real tree for me. About this time every year I wait till a very dark and stormy night and walk over to the city park down the block. They have some well manicured pine trees that are prime for the taking at this time. Got my eye on a nice 7 footer with hardly a limb out of place. All in the Christmas spirit.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-03 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]Some of my best family memories are chopping down the Christmas Tree every year. We'd make a long hike back where the snow was deep and it was easy pickin. Boy do I miss doin that. Mom and Dad had to do it on their very own for the first time since me, my brother, and siser were real little kids. All three in college now...mom cried.

BC

We bag a trophy swam spruce every year. Took a good one on the weekend. Will have it mounted in a week. Should look good in the living room.

Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Have a great one

Chuck

Well BCBoy that's some serious lingo your using there.
I'm with you though -if you don't go out and get your own tree why even bother. What's with an artificial tree?????
I'm going to get mine on Saturday. I think I can get it right from my property.
Steve? What's with all the abbreviations? LOL, LMAO, etc
Did you get my email? I just sent you a note to see if it got through and I haven't heard back.
Apparently some young fellow (22) got his first buck - with a bow - and it is supposed to be bigger than any of the ones Brent F was involved with. Have you heard about that one? I have to get over to Harley's and see some of these.
God Bless.

Teacher,
I got your email and I sent you one back. In the email is a pic of the one whitetail that Brent helped the guy get. I've heard about the other one but haven't got pics of it yet.
You got to read some previous posts on the Mule Deer Forum to understand some of the other things in this post. The abbreviations are internet talk. LOL means Laughing Out Loud. LMAO means Laughing My Ass Off.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the clue in. LMAO
Talked with Martin J. last night. He went out with his bow the other day. Had quite an experience. Says he saw the biggest mule buck he's seen in ten years. He has seen some nice ones too. The thing was standing 25 feet from him but he couldn't draw his bow - everytime he moved the buck would take off.
I don't think I got you email.
My sister in law sent me those pics of the albino moose. There is no doubt about it - it's white. I heard it was bad luck to shoot one of those. Is it even legal - if it was a bull?
God Bless.
HAGD

Rumor has it that this is the tree that Deerking "harvested" from the local park. He sure knows how to pick'em, that things gotta be a Booner for sure. Dont know about you folks, but I wanna know how he got that tree in the house!

treecut.jpg

Mike
at235.gif

Dakota
LMAO! I think there is more wood in that one tree than it took to build my dinky house.

As long as the rumor mill is turning might as well keep it going. Here is the tree that OSOK and Buckspy will trade gifts under this year. No wonder they were adamant about not participating in the MM gift swap.

prelit_pink.gif

Mike
at235.gif

You guys are way too funny. LMAO! I wish I had a scanner to scan some of my heli-logging pics. They could come in handy on a post like this. LOL!

Teacher,
I'll send the email again.

Used to get the "Chevy Chase" tree every year with my Stihl, but since my baby girl developed asthma and is allergic to pine/fur, we put up the fake thing yearly. Sure do miss the smell of a fresh tree. Make up for it though cutting the hell out of firewood yearly...

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that DK mentioned that the tree he had picked out was well manicured and "did not have a limb out of place"! Apparently he likes his Christmas trees typical as well. Our tree is a non typical with numerous kickers and such. Our tree has great mass around the base but gets really spindly at the top.

Drummond

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom