Chuckar

according to f&g nonlead required for upland game except for dove quail snipe, chukar is a quail and they all will be nonlead in 2019.

Game warden lives two blocks from me finally caught up with him. His response was chuckar was not listed in the regulations. Chuckar will treated like a quail. I shoot a over and under so it will tough to write a ticket. He said chuckar will be the same as quail non lead until 2019.
Now thats in my area might want to check, with your warden in your area.

Chuckar is a partridge not a quail. If your game warden says it's good then hopefully a different one doesn't check you. My wardens say differently

Lead is not allowed for hunting Chukar. Here's a Q&A taken directly from the DFG website:

"Steel shot for chukars
Question: A friend told me that we are now required to use steel shot when hunting chukars (Red-legged Partridge). Is this a new regulation? Since these are introduced non-native birds, why shouldn't they be treated similar to the Eurasian doves? Please let me know because I would not want to get a ticket. (Chris J.)

Answer: As you may know, we are in the middle of a transition to nonlead ammunition for all hunting in California. As of July 1, 2016, nonlead ammunition is now required for all hunting on CDFW wildlife areas and ecological reserves and when taking upland game birds with a shotgun, except for dove, quail, snipe and any game birds taken on licensed game bird clubs. In addition, nonlead shot is required when using a shotgun to take resident small game mammals, furbearing mammals, nongame mammals, nongame birds and any wildlife under the authority of a CDFW depredation permit.

In regards specifically to chukar (which are related to Red-legged Partridge but a different species), you are required to use nonlead shot when hunting them with a shotgun from this season on unless you are hunting at a licensed game bird club.

According to CDFW Upland Game Bird Senior Environmental Scientist Karen Fothergill, there is no species-related or ecological reason for the manner in which we are phasing-out lead ammunition. Rather, in order to implement the nonlead legislation in a way that is least disruptive to hunters, we coordinated question and answer sessions at sportsmen?s shows, held meetings with hunting organizations, hosted a series of public workshops throughout the state and sent letters to major ammunition manufacturers before we finalized the implementation plan.

For more information on the laws and phase-out of lead ammunition in California, please visit our website."

He is not writing tickets. Is boss say it would be a education transition period. He told me have at it. I will shoot lead, until otherwise.

>He is not writing tickets. Is
>boss say it would be
>a education transition period. He
>told me have at it.
>I will shoot lead, until
>otherwise.

It's a worthless law anyways.

sierra you missed the comma after snipe, and quail are in the same family as chuckar the phasianidae family and that will hold in court until 2019.

>sierra you missed the comma after
>snipe, and quail are in
>the same family as chuckar
>the phasianidae family and that
>will hold in court until
>2019.

I didn't miss anything. As i mentioned in my post, the Q&A was taken (cut and paste) from DFG's website. It may or may not hold up in court, but clearly DFG disagrees with you.

as I read the ca. hunting mag. 2016 addition page 5 there is clearly a comma after snip in 2 locations on that page.

>as I read the ca. hunting
>mag. 2016 addition page 5
>there is clearly a comma
>after snip in 2 locations
>on that page.

I don't see how that changes things.

only because it does not exclude dove ,quail,snipe only on private bird clubs.and the chuckar is still in the quail family.

Use a fast steel load (1500+) and you'll be fine.

I used 1 1/16 oz #4s(2 3/4") 1550 fps for first shot, then 1 1/8 oz #4s (3") @ 1550 fps for 2nd & 3rd shot.

I was surprised how well they performed out to 45 yards. Lots of stone dead birds, probably from tighter pattern of lead.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom