City of Grand Junction Land Access

JDhunter

Hi all,

I've called CPW, BLM, City of Grand Junction and still cannot get a straightforward answer so I figured I would ask here, assuming that many have asked the same question.

The question is this: Can I hunt on land owned by the City of Grand Junction? If so, great. If not, am I allowed to walk through it to get to BLM and National Forest where I am allowed to hunt?

Being from Arizona, I can only E-scout. But before I apply for hunts this year it would be nice to know whether I can even access the areas that I've been researching on maps.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Where are you talking about? I don’t know of more than a couple places that you describe and it’s not great opportunity. No you can’t hunt on their land and the place I know of it’s clearly signed.

Last edited:
You can't hunt in Grand Junction.

What do you want to hunt?

As mentioned...you wouldn't be gaining anything....for elk, deer, antelope, dove, rabbits, or squirrels.

This shoulda went in the Colorado section.

What part of AZ?

He’s maybe talking about the old Sommerville Ranch which the City of Grand Junction bought for it’s water. It is leased and no you can’t hunt it.

Is this not in the Colorado section? Looks like it is.

Anyways, This is the area I was thinking about. On OnX you can see that there are shaded sections of land labeled City of Grand Junction. I'm fairly certain I can't hunt it, but am I allowed to walk/drive through it in order to hunt the BLM behind it?

1585749690334.png

Iting,

I live just north of Horse Mtn in your map. The City property and surrounding BLM is low altitude desert. There is pretty much nothing to hunt there, it is barren during hunting seasons and pretty much any other time of year.You want to hunt prairie dogs? There aren’t even very many of them there. Above that on the high flanks of Grand Mesa there is also some City property commonly know as “Sommerville Ranch”. I have to assume that is what your are really wondering about. By Whiskers Pond there is a 4 way corner, corner jumping is not legal in Colorado, you aren’t the first to have thought of that spot I assure you. It has elk and is leased both for grazing and hunting, you can’t cross it legally.

BTW, this thread was first posted in the General section, it got moved.

Last edited:
Thanks BeanMan, the "New Forum" label was a little confusing.

But I appreciate the info. I figured there would at least be a few resident deer hanging out in the cedars above that desert stuff. Back to the drawing board I guess.

The biggest deer I ever saw, on the hoof, I saw in that map. I don't know what he was. He was with a 5x6. They ran across an asphalt road, down by the river and stopped to look at me. I was watching the 5x6 and said to myself, you better look at the other deer before they run off....they hauled butt when they heard my jaw drop. I never got a count. Alls I know, is that the 5x6 was a runt by comparison.

They were down in the orchards and you can't hunt the area....except maybe w/a bow. Then, I'm pretty sure that the landowners would only let "friends" or people they trust in there as it is fairly thick w/houses.

That area is pretty "Deserty", lot of sage.

I'm not sure if the City of Grand Jct has rangers may be contact? I would also contact the local sheriff's office since they are likely the guys that deal with handing out trespass tickets?

Mesa county so 970.244.3500.

Afaik....GJPD has nO Rangers and does not get out there much...but, then neither do I. So, how in the hello would I know.

I have never seen any deer in that sage. But, up by Craig, CO, theres lots of deer in the sage.

Also, call the CPW in GJ. Ask for the DWM (game warden) for unit#41. Ask for them to have him call you.

Also, there are about 10x the number of deer in the Craig area, so seeing deer is sage up there doesn't mean that you'll see them in sage down here...

What part of AZ?

The City of Grand Junction properties that you are asking about are leased to The Van Winkle Cattle Company, that’s who you need to talk to about it. I have driven my ATV through it hundreds of times since I live three miles from this. No one has ever bothered me on the low elevation properties. You will get in trouble if you trespass on the higher elevation properties.

I decided to go for a ride through there today. The areas that look like they would hold deer are marked no trespassing, you could ask the VanWinkle Ranch on facebook about how they would feel letting you hunt. The area with water on Whitewater Creek is for the most part on City property. There are some pieces of BLM along there that probably have deer. Stick to water and you’ll find deer in this unit on low elevation.
E5AE83C4-B7C0-4E2E-9167-D5BD1FA8E9B6.jpeg
33835D46-32D0-4404-876B-7C2BA94BCB09.jpeg
B2CE8B1D-E296-48E9-BC61-5E1E68A58764.jpeg
E34A39A4-C0AD-487D-AEA7-22E52448814D.jpeg

Thats awesome BeanMan. As long as I can just get through to the BLM back there, I can figure out where to go out from there. So that's good to know!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom