Clay Shooting

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I’m starting to do more and more. A few years ago, I would go only once a year. Now it seems like I go once a month. How often do you guys go and what do you use? I use a Browning BPS 20 gauge, but I just bought a Mossberg 590 A1. It’s a tactical, but still fun. I’m not too serious about the rules regarding types of shotguns, at least for now.

Interesting story. I was talking with another guy today about this and he told me a story about a rich guy from Michigan that went to one of those game farms where you can buy Phasants, Chuskers and a guide can take you with a dog and have a lot of fun. This place also has clay shooting so you can practice. He said the guy was in a hurry but still wanted what he paid for so he demanded to be let into the pen where the birds were kept so he could quickly shoot his limit. He then went to the clay target area and figured he was owed a box of clays, so he unloaded on a cardboard box of targets on the ground. He said thank you, tipped the guys and left.

I used to enjoy shooting trap but it cost us (me and wife) a fortune. Shot by the ton, shells by the pallot, etc. Registered a bunch of targets in competition....8000 a year or so, probably ended up with close to 200,000 targets. Then grown up stuff happened.

I can't really answer how much a guy needs to shoot to stay in form. If you compete, its weekly. Dove hunters, its $100 worth of shells and targets a couple of weeks before the season.

Browning and Beretta make good entry level guns.

I shoot quite a bit of trap. Not so much registered ATA targets anymore but still shoot a lot of practice. In the summertime ill shoot atleast once a week, 5-10 rounds of trap. If you reload or buy cheap shells, you can get them for about $5.00/box +/-. Trap guns can be bought at all prices from a few hundred dollars to $30,000. My parents and myself, we all shoot Perazzis. They're great guns and will last lifetimes.

Great guns indeed.....and you learn how become a gunsmith too. ;) Nothing points like a Perazzi.....(y)

I'm shooting rifle more lately than scatterguns but my brother an I usually shoot once per week, sometimes 2x. approx 100 rounds each trip. Sheet is our game of choice since it forces us into somewhat hunting angle shooting. IMHO
Sporting clays is even better but it's not always available where we shoot.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom