CO 14 points NR ideas????

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Yes I am reaching for some new ideas. I have chased the early above treeline tags only to have unit(s) tank. I have followed the Gunnison basin closely - winter kill. I am looking for rifle mule deer hunt that will let me see lots of good buck (120-150) and, if I hunt hard and smart, 180 being a realistic goal, 160 very likely.

DIY, not opposed to a trespass fee of $1k or less, love to backpack and in good shape. Any season ok.

I would love some secrets but realistically I am just looking for some new units to look into.

Thanks,

DonV OH

I actually think you are in a great and terrible spot at the same time, considering this winter, how units change, and the amount of time you've waited.

Some of the units you have had on your radar might of had a bad winter die off or they're not as good as they once were? I would be calling Bios in those units and getting a feel for what a 4th season hunt might look like this year. They should be able to narrow it down for you.

Good luck!

I would like to have your problem(and points)?.

There are plenty of great units you could pull with that many points. I will offer this advice: I wouldn't let the winter discourage you too much from the areas you have been watching and researching. I hunted a unit in the Gunny Basin that was probably hit the hardest by the 07/08 winter. I saw many more good shooters in 08, than I did in 09, 10, and 11.

If you have a unit you have been watching and waiting for, go hunt it this year. Who knows what next year will bring.

Good luck and happy hunting

I agree, I think the very young and the very old are the first to perish in a bad winter, so this might be the best year for awhile in those areas

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Don, you might look at 61 third season, contrary to what some may say there are still good bucks in this unit. Hunt low near ag land on west side near Nucla. Not a backcountry hunt though if that is what you are looking for.

I have experience hunting with in the High Country Buck Holy Cross Wilderness (44) and I have experience hunting the High Country Buck Hunter-FryingPan Wilderness (47).

Granted I used my bow for my success.

http://baretopllamas.tripod.com/

Plenty of pix and area camping options at my page.

If someone wants intel on unit 43--Snowmass Wilderness I have plenty of experience chasing bow elk during the High Country Buck dates hunt option.

Robb

I'm going to follow your post closely Don, Im not far behind you in points and I want to play sooner rather than later.

33 or 70 4th. Show up a few days early and cover country and glass. Find concentrations of does, and then slow way down. I think 160 + is easily doable if you take your time and watch the does.

There are super bucks in nearly every unit, and November they get silly.

I am in same boat and am looking up north. Closer to home and a migration type hunt with good access if they stay high due to lack of snow and great access down where they winter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom