CO 19/191 logistics

jjgaw

2023 will be my first time hunting CO. Looking at a couple different units and seasons. I’ve been eyeing 19/191 for a while now using BaseMap and Gohunt. My question about 19/191 specifically revolves around camping options in this unit. I have a 6x12 trailer/camper that’s fully insulated, heated etc. Would it be doable to just use my trailer as camp to stay mobile and hike in deep everyday? Or should I plan on backpacking in and tent camp? And if I’m using my trailer will I have issues getting it up and down most of the roads?

Like I said, I’ve made my eyes bleed looking at maps but it’s hard to get a true idea of the terrain. It doesn’t look too rough where I’ve been looking at. My expectations aren’t crazy high, but i do want to be able to get away from the crowds and shoot a mature deer. I’m not going to shoot a dinker just to fill my tags. Any help I’d appreciated, thanks.

You would be fine.. I would use your trailer/camper as a base camp and hunt from there either by foot or vehicle. There are plenty of main roads that can get you back in. OnX and google earth help me more than maps now days.

What season are you hunting? Would dictate need for an insulated trailer or not, some roads are easy to navigate and some roads I wouldn’t dream of taking a trailer on. That said good luck with mature deer, it is ground zero for Cwd, and the deer have been hammered up there by bears and cats, not to mention the overly generous tags and later season dates. There is some super gnarly terrain in both units next to the poudre, but don’t set your expectations too high. There is a reason it is an easy to draw tag

3rd season most likely. I’ve shifted directions after speaking with a DNR officer in the area. The overall conclusion of the conversation was id pick a different if I were driving 16 hours. I’ll take that advice and run with it. Thanks for the replies all.

3rd season most likely. I’ve shifted directions after speaking with a DNR officer in the area. The overall conclusion of the conversation was id pick a different if I were driving 16 hours. I’ll take that advice and run with it. Thanks for the replies all.
Not sure, but if you spoke with Justin he is a good guy and a straight shooter. He wouldn’t steer you wrong

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom