CO 2nd season success

Ridn9high

Had a great time hunting Colorado this year with my wife. This was her first time coming along on a deer hunt and I think she is ready to start building points for her first tag. She was a trooper, waking up early each morning, hunting with me all day, and coming in late to camp each evening. She was able to see a lot of wildlife and truly understand why I get so excited about going out of state on deer hunts.

Here are some of the bucks we saw during the hunt.

This buck was running with 4 other bucks Friday morning including a big 3x4. Never saw the big one during season, but saw this 4x4 a few times
1_zpsw2tzpelx.jpg

Saw this buck late Saturday morning as we were heading down the hill to another area. He was 30 yards, uphill from the truck.
3_zpshdofyvbk.jpg

2_zpscyevgfes.jpg

Watched these two bucks on a hill for a little while, waiting for the snow to let up on Monday
4_zpshgldnmnn.jpg

5_zpspijgq8fm.jpg

Had this one at 15 yards without a care in the world
3_zpsrfpkjxxb.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-15 AT 11:37PM (MST)[p]On Wednesday around 12:30 I found my buck bedded is some aspens about 400 yards, downhill in a steep canyon. I took a picture through the spotting scope and showed the wife. I told her I was going to make a stalk to get a closer look and see if I was ready to fill my tag. After a 300 yard stalk to a rock that was the size of a pickup, I was finally in position to look the buck over. After a couple minutes of watching him, I decided I would be very happy to end the hunt with this buck. One shot to the neck as he was bedded, and the hunt was over.

This is how I found him in his bed
9_zpsqq6qpjqd.jpg

After the shot
12_zpsctynkzdi.jpg

buck41_zpsbrrc7uz9.jpg

The pack out
66_zpsza0watwb.jpg

Finally back at the truck after two trips of packing

buck1_zpsxkytkgab.jpg

Thanks 270! I agree with you, I too love to read stories and see plenty of pics

Thanks RidgeRunner
I think she's definitely hooked now! Looks like you and I were in the same unit this season. That whole area is really neat and the scenry is amazing.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]Ridn9High,

You are correct in that area is some great scenery. We were in the same unit although it looks like you hunted a bit higher than we did. All we got was rain...Believe we shared a PM or 2 this summer about the Unit.

I'm going to start collecting points for my kiddos. Think this would be a great hunt for them.

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15
>AT 07:35?AM (MST)

>
>Ridn9High,
>
>You are correct in that area
>is some great scenery. We
>were in the same unit
>although it looks like you
>hunted a bit higher than
>we did. All we got
>was rain...Believe we shared a
>PM or 2 this summer
>about the Unit.
>
>I'm going to start collecting points
>for my kiddos. Think this
>would be a great hunt
>for them.

I scouted and hunted the low sage for two days and wasn't seeing much. Ended up going higher and saw more animals. I did hunt very high in the southern part of the unit for a couple days and got a lot of snow on Monday. Didn't see much down there as far as quality. Ended up killing my buck on Wednesday at 11k feet in the middle of the unit. We were camped at 8300 ft and got some snow at camp on Thursday. Wish I had time to stick around and see what started moving after that storm.

>>LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-15
>>AT 07:35?AM (MST)

>>
>>Ridn9High,
>>
>>You are correct in that area
>>is some great scenery. We
>>were in the same unit
>>although it looks like you
>>hunted a bit higher than
>>we did. All we got
>>was rain...Believe we shared a
>>PM or 2 this summer
>>about the Unit.
>>
>>I'm going to start collecting points
>>for my kiddos. Think this
>>would be a great hunt
>>for them.
>
>I scouted and hunted the low
>sage for two days and
>wasn't seeing much. Ended up
>going higher and saw more
>animals. I did hunt very
>high in the southern part
>of the unit for a
>couple days and got
>a lot of snow on
>Monday. Didn't see much down
>there as far as quality.
> Ended up killing
>my buck on Wednesday at
>11k feet in the middle
>of the unit. We were
>camped at 8300 ft and
>got some snow at camp
>on Thursday. Wish I had
>time to stick around and
>see what started moving after
>that storm.

We scouted pretty hard as well. Albeit we had some help from family friends who live right at Blue Mesa. There was 1 buck we really wanted to turn up down in the sage, but he did the disappearing act the 2 days before season and we the 3 days we were hunting.We stayed in the middle around the 8-9k mark. Saw enough bucks to keep us coming back each day.

Agreed on the storm and what might have been up and moving. Could have been interesting for those who hadn't pulled the trigger yet.

YES SIR........REALLY NICE BUCK & GREAT ACCOUNT OF YOUR HUNT/ AND WITH THE WIFE ....EVEN BETTER !!!!.....................YD.

Thanks you guys!

>Sweet hunt. Good on you
>getting the boss involved also.
>

She loved being apart of the hunt and seeing how it all goes down. I bought her points for Wyoming as soon as we got back and will be getting her in the CO points game next year. I would love to see her tag a deer in a couple years.

Nice buck, pictures, and story. Unless I am seeing something wrong, you would have been busted for improperly tagging.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom