CO 3rd Season Success

wallow

After 22 years of banking points, I decided to go after a big buck in CO. Based on season dates and research I narrowed it down to units 66 and 67. I really wanted to hunt this year so I decided on 67, which takes less points to draw. Turns out, I made the right choice because I probably didn't have enough points for 66 based on point creep.

I arrived a few days before the opener to scout the unit and turned up a few decent bucks. Lots of 140-160 class bucks on the unit. I'm not really that caught up on score, but I was looking for a special buck. I spent the next 6 days covering a bunch of country and glassed a good number of deer. Conditions were warm and not much rut activity to speak of. Hunting pressure was pretty heavy with elk hunters in the area as well.

Ended up finding this buck on the evening of the 17th pushing some does around. Right when I saw him, I knew he was the buck I wanted. Heavy dark horned typical muley. Even better is I had my nearly 80 yr old dad with me on this hunt. Lot's of great memories and a storybook ending.

CO Buck w Dad.jpg

CO Buck MGS.jpg

IMG_0983.JPG

CO Buck Skyline.jpg

Sounds like you had a great hunt, and pictures to prove it! Nice you had your dad out there. Congrats on a great buck.

Great bucks. We hunted 3rd in unit 3, but I don't know how to post pics from my phone. Two of us tagged out with small bull elk and one pretty good buck and one smaller 3x3. We saw lots of game and were happy. As we were on heavily hunted public land we really didn't expect trophies. In my book, any bull elk is a trophy.

You did good based on weather and what I seen in 66 as I hunted 3rd in 66 and just couldn't break the 25 26 in 4x4 seen lots of deer just nothing worth the 24 points had fun and took a good buck

Congrats on the buck! Those eye guards have some character.

seen lots of deer just nothing worth the 24 points had fun and took a good buck
This is a common theme for all those Gunnison basin units for the last 10 years or more it seems. Bundles of points and lots of sad hunters. I just don't see it being like it was prior to the winterkill in 2007, and again in 2013? I commend you for not shooting one to shoot one though.

After 22 years of banking points, I decided to go after a big buck in CO. Based on season dates and research I narrowed it down to units 66 and 67. I really wanted to hunt this year so I decided on 67, which takes less points to draw. Turns out, I made the right choice because I probably didn't have enough points for 66 based on point creep.

I arrived a few days before the opener to scout the unit and turned up a few decent bucks. Lots of 140-160 class bucks on the unit. I'm not really that caught up on score, but I was looking for a special buck. I spent the next 6 days covering a bunch of country and glassed a good number of deer. Conditions were warm and not much rut activity to speak of. Hunting pressure was pretty heavy with elk hunters in the area as well.

Ended up finding this buck on the evening of the 17th pushing some does around. Right when I saw him, I knew he was the buck I wanted. Heavy dark horned typical muley. Even better is I had my nearly 80 yr old dad with me on this hunt. Lot's of great memories and a storybook ending.

View attachment 60155

View attachment 60158

View attachment 60159

View attachment 60160
As always best with Dad there to see it.....congrats

Awesome buck!! Congrats and very cool to have you dad right there with you, your dad is in great shape for his age. Thanks for sharing.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom