CO 66 3rd success

Stevo

Well, not the giant I was hoping for with burning my 23 NR points, but it was the best buck I saw. Lots of deer were seen all over the unit. Just not the age class and size I was hoping for. No regrets, I had a great time.
20211114_164903.jpg

20211115_104115.jpg

That’s a great buck! Truth is the units in Colorado are overrated for the most part. The good ones will produce solid bucks like you killed. Most people think spending 20 points plus equals a 200” deer, but just isn’t the case. You did well, and should be proud of that buck and hopefully had a great time to remember, that’s worth the points in itself.

Solid buck for any hunt. Great mass on him ! I got pointed out and did not draw cannot wait for next year, will try it again.

Good looking buck and congratulations.

I had the second season tag in this unit and people were shooting two points to 23” 3x4 bucks after spending a decade plus of points on the unit. It was the craziest thing that I had seen and it did not make sense to me at all given the hype of this unit. Everyone I talked to was disappointed after having the high expectations of what the hunt was in comparison to the amount of points and money they put into the unit. As “County” stated above A lot of points do not equal 200” bucks but I have hunted general units in Utah that would have completed with what I experienced in regards to buck quality. Many disappointed hunters for sure but I found my satisfaction in other ways outside of the quantity of the bucks so I still went home with a smile. In the end, I found a buck that was different that I put my tag on. No shortage of deer in the unit but don’t go to the unit thinking you can find 150” deer on a daily basis. In 12 days of scouting and hunting I did not see a buck over 169” nor did anyone that I talked too. Most bucks were tiny spikes to 130” bucks, I seen about 5 bucks between 140”-150” between scouting days and during the hunt and one buck that is 169” at the end of the hunt. You have to have realistic expectations of this hunt in my opinion if you want to have fun. I have a new plan for Colorado in that I will be hunting more often for fun with no expectations of big bucks. If I’m still disappointed then I will save my time and money. Beautiful area. Have fun.

hunted 68 3rd season this year and hunted 66 3rd season two years ago helping a friend. Quality is down everywhere in Colorado and after the later seasons this year and the future few years, quality bucks will be even more rare. Not likely to change for years if ever. I agree a lot of people are shooting small bucks in these trophy units. Big Muley deer are becoming more rare these days.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom