CO 68 4th season 2021?

Utahlefty

Like many (most) point sitters, I'm strongly considering cashing out those points (21 right now) this year or next year in Colorado.

As a NR, I'd hire a guide and and that presents an additional complication: most of them are already booked a couple years out on good units I'd have a chance of drawing.

68 4th would likely draw and the guide I like has availability.

good plan or better to wait and see down the road?

Like many (most) point sitters, I'm strongly considering cashing out those points (21 right now) this year or next year in Colorado.

As a NR, I'd hire a guide and and that presents an additional complication: most of them are already booked a couple years out on good units I'd have a chance of drawing.

68 4th would likely draw and the guide I like has availability.

good plan or better to wait and see down the road?
Utahlefty you have a lot of choices with 21 pts. I would personally wait until the point creep year disappears. A lot of people maybe cashing in this season and will allow you to draw a better unitnin the future. Just my opinion

I don’t know anything about 68, but you’ve got a lot of options with 21 points. I guess the hiring a guide does limit you some in where you can go.
Maybe you can do it without???

Not to bum you out but if you've not done so, look at the 1st page of the CPW deer stats page. If you have 21 now, adding up the people at 20 last year and above after last years draw, I get 994! So, my take would be to apply but not be too discouraged if you don't draw as there's just so many people with "high" points and I've seen lots of people speculating that point creep the next couple years could be shocking. I talked to CPW today and they said they've had several callers say they want out of the points game and wanna cash out so I'd not be surprised to see some significant point jumps especially in the more higher end units this year due to the later dates. I'm in a similar (but not as bad) boat as you but a resident so I can relate! My 2 cents says put in while you can as deer numbers have been on a decline and the current CPW strategy of killing off the bigger buck to "control" CWD seems to say to me that it's only gonna get worse with time...... unless you have 10 or more years that you wanna wait and see if it ever turns around.

I cashed in16 pts last year on a hunt I could have drawn with 3-4. I'm tired of chasing that damn point creep!
Did it end up a good hunt or are you regretting it some?
You’re right about the point creep thing. Chasing a hunt is probably a waste. Can’t ever catch up. My dad drew back in 2002 and had been chasing that same hunt before throwing in the towel 2 years ago and going somewhere else. He’d still be chasing it and even farther behind if still at it.

I’m buying a point again, so I’m hoping at least a couple bucks survive for a later date!
I wouldn’t hold your breath... think CPW’s plan is to kill every deer possible so they won’t go to waste once they start dropping those large coyotes all over the land.

I think cpw makes enough $$ from non res otc unlimited bull tags that they don't care about deer. Trying to kill off deer so cwd doesn't affect their "cash bulls"

Let’s see, the wolves will take care of the elk and CPW is taking out the deer... What will be left, predator hunting? No, like here in California they’ve taken most of that away too. Looks like the left has won again?? Won’t be any reason to have a gun soon I suppose? But don’t worry CPW will survive with government money cause they’ll tax the he’ll out of us. ?. If this offends anyone I’m sorry but sometimes the truth hurts. Trying not to be political, just factual.

Thanks all! I'm going to apply for 68-4th for deer and 61-4th for elk with the plan to switch the elk to 3rd (we hunted 4th last year) if I draw both.

Now if I also draw NV 231 elk that'll really throw a wrench in things! :)

Let’s see, the wolves will take care of the elk and CPW is taking out the deer... What will be left, predator hunting? No, like here in California they’ve taken most of that away too. Looks like the left has won again?? Won’t be any reason to have a gun soon I suppose? But don’t worry CPW will survive with government money cause they’ll tax the he’ll out of us. ?. If this offends anyone I’m sorry but sometimes the truth hurts. Trying not to be political, just factual.
World class turkey, lion and bears.

Honestly I like this groundswell to use up PP’s. They have been entirely too cheap and easy to accumulate.

I can think of many reasons to have a gun other than hunting, but yes what their doing to the game is ridiculous.

Muleyxtreme, you’re correct, there are “many” reasons to own guns. I guess that didn’t come out just right as I should have said it would give them an excuse to take our guns.
Utahlefty, I apologize for my rant on your thread without giving something constructive towards it. I think you’re making a good decision from what little I know about that hunt. Good luck.

Did it end up a good hunt or are you regretting it some?
You’re right about the point creep thing. Chasing a hunt is probably a waste. Can’t ever catch up. My dad drew back in 2002 and had been chasing that same hunt before throwing in the towel 2 years ago and going somewhere else. He’d still be chasing it and even farther behind if still at it.
It was a great hunt! We saw lots of bucks and we both killed nice bucks...my buddy's taped out at 197 4/8! Mine didn't score as good but was 29" wide. We saw lots of bucks but these two were the biggest. The only regret I have about the points is I didn't do it sooner! I can hunt this unit every year. I chased points and creep for so many years! NOT WORTH THE WAIT! I'm 69. I was in no-man's land and got tired of it. Plus...I'm 69..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom