CO Archery OTC

BadgerBucky

I am curious if anyone would have an educated opinion about what CO OTC archery units are likely to provide the most chances to work bulls, and generally interact with elk?
Here's why- I used to live in CO and have been building points since just before I left 15yrs ago. I haven't had the chance to keep my skills up and suddenly realized it'd be pretty dumb to drop almost 20yrs of points with zero recent practice (I'm a DIY guy). So I found two weeks vacation open in the first half of September and I'm heading out to put my boots on the ground. My goal isn't the biggest bull -but, I'll take one if I can get lucky! Mostly, I want encounters that I can learn from and put into practice when I do pull a great tag soon.
This time around, my dad's coming along for comic relief and some gold panning/scouting helper missions. That means all day-hikes in and out from a tiny camper for a base camp. I hope there are a few guys out there with some quality ideas, let's hear 'em!

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you ?

But seriously if I tell you here there will be a 1000 other guys listening and then it won’t be a good area any more.

So I will just give you a starting point. Pick one of the following cities: Pagosa Springs, Durango/Silverton, Gunnison, Grand Junction, Glenwood Springs, Meeker, or steamboat springs. Research the National Forest or BLM near there and go hunt. They are all about equal depending on the year.

Go on the Colorado Parks and wildlife website and look for regional hunt guides. That will give you some good starting points

But watch out for fires! ?

Last edited:
txhunter, I truly appreciate the response. Sounding off so late, I wasn't sure I'd get even one! I probably would've gotten a few more responses if I asked where NOT to go. I could've zoomed in on those real quick!
Next time, I'll start my planning earlier. This was pretty much a last minute realization that I need time on the mountain practicing. Regardless, I'll be setting camp somewhere this weekend in beautiful country!

Go for it and good luck! We make out own way in the world be it in school, business, or in the woods. Find yours! I PMed you

I've hunted CO OTC archery for about 15 years, my main comment is do not expect much interaction by bugling. Hunting pressure on public land is intense and the elk are generally very call shy. At least that has been my experience, your results may vary. Early in the season you might get some bulls to come in silent, so be watching for that if you do try calling. There are lots of ways to hunt elk that don't revolve around calling, be prepared to cover ground until you find elk or fresh sign.

Definitely learn to cow call. I have had luck bugling only on private land, but cow calling is worth a try anywhere.

Now that you mention it, I actually remember that from before. I would've had to learn that the hard way all over again! Thanks!

And in case you haven't heard the SW units (Durango, Pagosa Springs, etc.) are no longer OTC. Some still might be available as leftovers, but you should check before you make plans.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom