CO deadhead rules?

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
Anyone know what the regs. are for finding a deadhead in CO? Have a friend that found a nice 6 pt. likely shot during archery season but they didn't find an arrow or anything and it had been worked over likely by a bear. He wasn't sure about whether you need to call CPW or ?

If it were me. I would take pictures of the scene and mark it on a GPS. Then I would haul the head out and call the CPW asap. They will most likely let you keep it if they don't suspect foul play

yep, just go get it.
Only time I get concerned is if I find it while hunting and it is somewhat recent (few days). Then I'd call the warden to give him a heads up so you are the one initiating contact not him at the game check...
I always take a pic of the site too, just to show its been decaying and wasn't me poaching for a rack...

With any situation when you initiate contact with warden they understand and allow things that you could get a ticket for normally.

For instance, we found a gut shot doe one year. She had intestines dragging on the ground. Didn't have doe tags, but I shot her anyway to put her down. We took video of her first, then shot her, took meat out to camp. Called warden and told him to come out, cause I needed to be fined for poaching a doe. He understood and asked if any other hunters were around that had a doe tag. Neighboring camp did, we asked and they accepted the meat. They had to contact the warden too but all parties ended up happy. No tickets were issued. (I was very happy about that part...)

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thanks Guys. That's what I thought but wasn't sure as I know some states are very picky about them. My buddy brought home a nice 6 pt....probably 320ish which is the biggest rack I've seen in the area.

Most of the above is true. DOW gets dibs on highway kills and illegal kills... Do NOT kick that hornets nest or you will prompt an AMAZING interpretation of what constitutes a highway kill or illegal kill!

Funny how this interpretation is directly proportionate to the size of the bones on his head...

Take it home, display it, enjoy it, but do not go to the DOW.

>Most of the above is true.
> DOW gets dibs on
>highway kills and illegal kills...
> Do NOT kick that
>hornets nest or you will
>prompt an AMAZING interpretation of
>what constitutes a highway kill
>or illegal kill!
>
>Funny how this interpretation is directly
>proportionate to the size of
>the bones on his head...
>
>
>
>Take it home, display it, enjoy
>it, but do not go
>to the DOW.

I don't think roadkill are legal though to take the rack from, that is one exception. Could be wrong though. Got me interested, going to see if I can find it :)
Mntman

In regards to roadkill, all I could find was a person must get a permit within 48 hours of roadkill to keep the carcass/meat. Could not find anything specific on the antlers... Sooooo, yes you can keep antlers from road kill????

Article XI #20 C.2 is interesting vs what is in big game regulations. It states tag must be notched immediately but only be attached to carcass/meat at camp or immediately prior to being transported by car.
That is what we always do anyway, notch tag and put back in pack so it isn't lost till we get to camp/truck. Always thought it was supposed to be attached immediately too at kill site.

Mntman

what we have here is a FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE LUKE... Dibs means first option, which can be exercised or not...

If it is a two point they will not exercise. If you find a 220 five miles from a two track it will be a road kill in their professional opinion.

As I understood it this discussion has NOTHING TO DO WITH MEAT. Of course this is MM, I could be mistaken!

Years ago the "Boulder buck" who had made many magazine covers was killed on the road, he now resides at 6060 Broadway... dibs got exercised. What I couldn't believe is they did not measure him and split the skull... just in case?? Guess they do realize the caliber of their help.

>
>what we have here is a
>FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE LUKE...
>Dibs means first option, which
>can be exercised or not...
>
>
>If it is a two point
>they will not exercise.
>If you find a 220
>five miles from a two
>track it will be a
>road kill in their professional
>opinion.
>
>As I understood it this discussion
>has NOTHING TO DO WITH
>MEAT. Of course this
>is MM, I could be
>mistaken!
>
>Years ago the "Boulder buck" who
>had made many magazine covers
>was killed on the road,
>he now resides at 6060
>Broadway... dibs got exercised.
>What I couldn't believe is
>they did not measure him
>and split the skull... just
>in case?? Guess they
>do realize the caliber of
>their help.

dam, a little pissy are we? Nothing I stated in my response was sarcastic or pissy to you. I even stated I'd could be wrong and was going to research it. Then I said "all I could find"... nothing regarding to rack...
Dam go back into your squirrel den and chew on your nutz for some time.
Mntman

Squirrel. 1st of all, I would not be caught hauling a fresh dead head out of the woods this time of year without contacting someone. Seems like a sure way of getting accused of something.
2nd.. Mtnman was just trying to help clear things up and provide info. In your first post you bash the dow, in your second post you bash this site.
If you have nothing positive, helpful or no straight forward question to ask ,why even comment? Leave the bashing at the door. We are all on the same team :)

Bashing??? You thought that was bashing? The original poster wanted to know if he should call the DOW, you said yes and I strongly disagree based on actual facts. (aka the way the world really works) MTmn got off in the weeds with carcass highway salvage rules which were not even pertinent to the subject (and a whole different can of worms)...

Now THIS is what bashing looks like... I will post a couple paragraphs from an article I wrote that, once I got started, turned out to be like a "chapter" then morphed into more of a "short story". You, being the moderator of course, will just delete, such is the beauty of the internet.

The CO DOW are simply criminals, criminals of the worst sort, they use their power of their badges and guns to steal and intimidate, taking what they want, when they want, and never being held accountable. After all how can you break the law when you get to decide when a law is actually broken?

This very brief story is why the OP should not call the DOW, if you want more, just ask, I have lots of 'em!

Another deadhead story went as follows: A local fellow was out looking for deer after the seasons had closed and found two bucks locked together from fighting. One was dead and being drug around by one that was barely alive. He did not want to get into trouble and called in the professionals, who showed up and sawed off the rack of the live deer enough to free him and he ran away, so far, so good, right? The finder asked about keeping the head off of the dead buck (it was very big) and was told that because it was a ?Sampson buck? it was DOW property. This is where I got involved when his relative told me the story and asked what he should do.

I explained the highway/poaching/natural death rules to him and told him to demand the head back if he really wanted it, he did.

He ended up all the way at the main office in Denver before he finally got somebody who knew the actual details of this law and the word was passed down to give him his deer back from the evidence room?NOW! But it would seem that it could not be given back to him because it was not in the DOW evidence room. The DOW guy would have to drive to his nephew?s house in Denver and grab it off of the wall, where it had ?accidentally? ended up hanging on a plaque. Rumor has it that this round trip was accomplished in near record time!

Same team as the CO DOW?? First of all the way I hunt hunting is a solo sport, there are no "teams" The DOW are
supposed to be the referees, and they are crooked as hell...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom