CO elk bullet from Accura v2?

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Alright everybody expert in mzzlloading: is powerbelt " copper plated" worth shooting at an elk? Having hard time finding out what bullets to use... In place of p.belt platinum aerotip 300 i used last yr. They are easy to load & accurate but worried about terminal performance.

I dont like idea of carrying more gadgets (bullet starter) with me ... If i cant get it started easily and worry about damaging bullet tip, i m lookin for better option. .

If you shoot cva accura in CO at elk: what bullet are u all using? Will monster No Excuses bullets load easily in accura? I will be hunting deer and elk in same season so looking for accuracy to about 150 yds. 300 or 350 grain bullet. Using Bhorn 209 pow.

Thanks all in advance!

Check out my topic I started back on May 31 on this muzzleloader forum titled (what bullets are these)
I like the way they load and they shoot accurately just haven't tried them on game personally. Others seem to have had good luck with them. They will likely be my go to Bullets for Colorado Muzzleloading.

I ce heard the Accura doesnt like to load Hornady fpb.. Federal bor lock are being discontinued... Which bullet loads easily in accura barrel?
Should i buy up federals i can find? Are they only discontinuing 300 grain or all their lead? Are federal coppers still being made? Do they perform and load easily?

Sorry for all the questions, i need to get on this to practice a bit this summer. Thanks

I shoot the CVA Accura v2. I'm using Thor bullets. You'll need to either get a sizing pack or try the self sizing bullets, which I have not tried.

I'm using the 300 gr Thor in 0.501 cal for my mzl in front of 100 gr of BH209 powder. I can easily get 1.5" accuracy at 100 yards if I do my part.

I've heard some not so pleasant results using the PB bullet, which is why I prefer a bullet that has better terminal performance. I'd hate to lose a nice bull all because my bullet let me down.

Good luck!

graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... It's the reckoning." Doc Holliday

>I ce heard the Accura doesnt
>like to load Hornady fpb..
> Federal bor lock are
>being discontinued... Which bullet loads
>easily in accura barrel?
> Should i buy up federals
>i can find? Are they
>only discontinuing 300 grain or
>all their lead? Are federal
>coppers still being made? Do
>they perform and load easily?
>
>
>Sorry for all the questions, i
>need to get on this
>to practice a bit this
>summer. Thanks

Where did you hear that the Federal BOR are being discontinued?

Hornady FPB are definitely being discontinued. Are you mixing the two up?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-19 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]Pretty sure they do, but don't own any CVAs. Frontiergander should know

txhunter58

You can still get the federal bor locks from Cabelas. The only way you are going to know if they will shoot good in your gun is to get some and try them. You will also need the proper bullet Jag or your ramrod to push them down the barrel.Don?t get the lead ones there are problems with the tips coming off.
The 270 gr. coppers are as close as you're going to get to a Barnes.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-19 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]Where have you heard about the tips coming out of the lead ones? Where they being shoved down with the wrong kind of loading jag?

With a jag like this:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/sho...nady-reg-sst-loading-jag/735140.uts?slotId=21
I would not think you would have problems with the tip coming off. Please post a reference to that kind of problem. I had the same problem with the FPBs tip coming off until I switched loading jags.

txhunter58

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-19 AT 05:14PM (MST)[p]High Country, I have an Accura V2 and I really like it for hunting elk in Colorado. I use BH powder at 90 grains (volume, a HOT CCI 209 primer, and I use the Federal BOR LOC bullet in 300 grain weight. I like everything about this Federal bullet. I do use a bullet starter with recessed tip on the end but the Federal is easy to load; accurate; and deadly. I would recommend to you the Federal BOR LOC bullet for hunting elk in Colorado. Cow Tag

>Just got an email back from
>federal they are not just
>continuing the federal Bor lock
>

Did you mean NOT discontinuing?
Thanks

Yep. He meant to say Hornady FPBs are being discontinued.

txhunter58

Thanks to everyone who has helped with my question! I ve oredered some Federal BOR loc 350 grain lead bullets and the Hornady SST loading jag. I ll let you guys know in a couple weeks how target practice goes.

Does this bullet like a lighter load of BHorn 209? Should i start with 90 grains? I know everyone will say " experiment to find what you like" but a starter load from someone with experience would be great. Is there some science behind choosing a powder load (amount)? Thanks

I have been using the Hornady FPB 350 grain (lead alloy) which should be comparable to the Fed BOR.

I used 90-95 gr of BH 209 and they shot pretty dang flat out to 150 yards. Killed 4 elk with that load.

txhunter58

I will be using the Hornady 350gr FPB this year in Colorado. I have killed lots of elk in Utah with them and they are a great bullet.

I assume you have a good supply in hand? I have a few packages that I probably won't use if you run out and can't find any

txhunter58

Shot 350 grain federal bor locs today. 1" high at 25 yds. Dead bullseye at 50 yds. At 100 yds i was all over target!

First two shots at 100 yds were about 12" high. 3rd was 4" low on vertical line. 4th shot was on horizontal line and left about 3"... Average of all of them is okay, but i only bought 1 pack of 15 and none around before i leave on hunt this thursday for saturday opener. I feel like i have to practice more at 100 yds, but i only have 8 bullets left.

There are some federal bor loc 270 grain available nearby. Will these bullets perform well on elk (i'm hunting elk and deer simultaneously)? I ll buy two 15 packs and shoot again, just wondering if any of ya ll have shot an elk with the 270 grain. Thanks. I know it s 11th hour, tough to find time with moving, working, home renovating!

i shot a deer at 42 yds through shoulder ( he was coming towards me down a small hill, just angled to his right to give a good angle into vitals, there was a large rock close to me on my left - soon to obstruct my shot as he continued to my left). The federal BOR loc 350 went through top of shoulder/scapula and through vitals and lodged under skin in his right side flank. It was flat by that time!

No chance at any elk, which is the main reason i needed to step up to a better bullet than the P.belts - i was hunting elk and deer simultaneously. The BOR loc shoots very accurately at 25, 50, 100, and out to 200 yds i was only a couple inches low of bullseye (after holding high). Using 100 gr of BHorn 209.

Very impressed with this bullet and can't wait to kill a bull with it. Next year!

Thanks TXhunter and Cowtag for helping me find a good replacement for P.belts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom