CO Moose down!

marley

Very Active Member
I killed my #1 bull this morning 10 minutes into the hunt but I’ve been watching this bull for 6 weeks. Awesome hunt with 4 friends, my brother and my son. The 7 of us packed it all out in one awful 3 mile pack out but none of us would’ve had it any other way. 150 yard shot with my muzzy. 50” wide and rough scores 180”. The first pic was from 3 weeks ago.

FEF6163A-D47C-4BB1-A254-3D53D7DCB53E.jpeg

99236693-6A9C-43BB-9217-20091434CA17.jpeg

BFD7AC65-9A3E-462E-AAA4-2F94EDE78CC3.jpeg

08BE1055-33CA-4E17-BB02-6FA4B7BD588E.jpeg

Wow what a bull! It’s always exciting when all your scouting pays off! 150 yards is a great shot. What type of sights were you using? Congratulations!

Congratulations Marley!! Knew it was not if but how big!
Look forward to your upcoming sheep hunt!

That is an absolute stud bull and you earned it my friend! For those of you who don’t know, Marley scouted his butt off for this hunt and had the unit totally dialed in. Congrats again on a well earned trophy of a lifetime.
Hoopscoach

If you get him officially scored I'll be curious to see if B&C counts that left side as a single or double browtine. Based on forward projection, vein pattern, and the main bay that Alaska Dept of Fish and Game uses I would think that would be a 2x2 on the brow tines.

Regardless, that is just a stunning bull.

wou
If you get him officially scored I'll be curious to see if B&C counts that left side as a single or double browtine. Based on forward projection, vein pattern, and the main bay that Alaska Dept of Fish and Game uses I would think that would be a 2x2 on the brow tines.

Regardless, that is just a stunning bull.
Would that affect the score at all? Wouldn’t the measurements be the same whether it’s a split brow or not?

I thought I had commented but I must have been distracted by your huge bull.

Well done, marley, on a fantastic trophy!!!!!
I looks bigger than my Canadian and I'm plenty proud of that.
Yours is a helluva Shiras moose!!!

Zeke

wou

Would that affect the score at all? Wouldn’t the measurements be the same whether it’s a split brow or not?
Yes it will affect the score. If it is a single brow, then the length of the palm would end on the edge of the main palm, and would cost you probably 6-7" on the palm length.

Last edited:
32BA69F1-3B32-42C3-831F-1353CEB99DB0.jpeg

I’m clueless on moose so I appreciate the info. Would the paddle length measurements not go where I’ve marked in red with the single brow? (I realize this measurement would go in the backside of the paddles)

I am far from an expert on B&C scoring moose, but my reading of the materials on https://www.boone-crockett.org/field-judging-moose and the scoring charts would lead me to think these would be the lines for a single brow determination, and that your originals are pretty good for if it were a double brow on both sides. Which is why you see so many comments from folks that know better than I on the B&C scoring that if you care about the book, don't shoot a single brow bull.

I think this is a classic example of why B&C/P&Y are seriously messed up in how they score moose (and caribou). Overall I like the system for being able to provide a common language for gauging how big an animal is, but for moose and caribou the system is seriously flawed.
32BA69F1-3B32-42C3-831F-1353CEB99DB0.jpeg

I killed my #1 bull this morning 10 minutes into the hunt but I’ve been watching this bull for 6 weeks. Awesome hunt with 4 friends, my brother and my son. The 7 of us packed it all out in one awful 3 mile pack out but none of us would’ve had it any other way. 150 yard shot with my muzzy. 50” wide and rough scores 180”. The first pic was from 3 weeks ago.

View attachment 52092
View attachment 52091
View attachment 52094
View attachment 52095
View attachment 52098

View attachment 52092
View attachment 52091
View attachment 52094
View attachment 52095
View attachment 52098
Marley,

That will hurt the score but that bull is a stud and will still make all time B&C. Nobody in their right mind would pass on this Shiras. I shot my Shiras last year in UT at 17 yards, he had split brows and was officially scored at 160 4/8 all time B&C. Awesome job.

View attachment 52804

I’m clueless on moose so I appreciate the info. Would the paddle length measurements not go where I’ve marked in red with the single brow? (I realize this measurement would go in the backside of the paddles)
although......these lines aren't parallel enough to the inside edge......the point between the brows will be correct. The other ends will move to the dips closer to the inner edge.....until bohntr shows up to correct me......lol....you can cross an outer bay for palm length

Last edited:
I score quite a few Moose and I believe Homer is correct on moving the upper part of the line into the dip so that your line is parallel with the edge of horn. Your Bull really has it going on with palm width, that’s a lot of antler

Marley,
Congrats on the bull! Thanks for sharing the story. Always nice to see a shiras story that involves packing them out.

I agree with homer and hawkbill, you have to measure from the tip towards the inside of the palm. Let us know when you get it officially score.

The new manual just came out, there are a lot of drawings and new working info on scoring Moose. Once again Marley that’s a heck of a Bull

7B8AD580-8F71-4537-944B-40B2E5DE057B.jpeg

JB is spot on…..as usual! (At least with scoring stuff :) )
Tremendous Shiras, congratulations.

Awesome bull. Glad you got him. I passed on a bull 50 inches last year due to one split. Ended up with a much lesser bull, and to this day it burns me. B&C is great, but when you have a 50 inch Shiras at 25 yds, DUMB is all I got.

Great bull.

You killed a moose and a big horn in the same month. That is awesome. Congrats. I hope to kill those in a lifetime much less same year.

Congrats on a great bull. Scores are just numbers. If you like the way it looks take em! Most people wouldn't know what the score means. It's an awesome, huge bull regardless of score.

It's too bad B&C doesn't just weigh antlers and horns! You got an amazing shiras! I really enjoy success stories where scouting hard pays off. Congrats!

Moose are one of those species that a lot of guys don't know how to field judge. Hawkbill's post w/photos explains a lot of the mis-understanding about spike forks. There actually are hardly ANY B&C shiras in the B&C books with a spike tine....it's just the way they are scored. Believe me, your bull is impressive with the wide paddles!

I had a shiras tag in Wyo years ago and actually passed up some truly monster bulls just because they had a spike rather than 2 forked brows....and I knew they wouldn't make B&C. The bull I ended up harvesting wasn't near as impressive but made book. My bull had brows with forks around 12" from the main beam. 12 x 2 = 24. That's 24" just because the bull had forked brows way out towards the tip of the narrow palms.

I really think a bull like yours and some of them I saw would look WAY more impressive on the wall. I guess it comes down to what's important to the hunter. To me B&C was important. I got pretty darn good at field judging by the end of the summer.

I had a shiras tag in Wyo years ago and actually passed up some truly monster bulls just because they had a spike rather than 2 forked brows....and I knew they wouldn't make B&C. The bull I ended up harvesting wasn't near as impressive but made book. My bull had brows with forks around 12" from the main beam. 12 x 2 = 24. That's 24" just because the bull had forked brows way out towards the tip of the narrow palms.

I really think a bull like yours and some of them I saw would look WAY more impressive on the wall. I guess it comes down to what's important to the hunter. To me B&C was important. I got pretty darn good at field judging by the end of the summer.
Thanks Jim’s. I didn’t really know how to field judge when I started my hunt but when I saw my bull about 6 weeks before my hunt I knew he was a monster. I didn’t know what he would score but I was all in on him and spent the next 6 weeks keeping tabs on him. He was 3 miles in and I found him 7 times. I had him officially scored today and his gross score is 177” with a net score of 169” putting him in the all time B&C book even with the single brow.

Do you happen to know the palm width and lengths of your bull? Those 2 measurements are a huge chunk of the score. Your bull’s palms are long to the bases and you get a few additional inches of palm length past where the palm extends past the base.

Your bull is fairly unique because bulls with a spike brow would only have a palm length measurement close to even with the base. Your bull’s antler is webbed on the entire one side past the brow so you get added palm length as if it was forked.

Do you happen to know the palm width and lengths of your bull? Those 2 measurements are a huge chunk of the score. Your bull’s palms are long to the bases and you get a few additional inches of palm length past where the palm extends past the base.

Your bull is fairly unique because bulls with a spike brow would only have a palm length measurement close to even with the base. Your bull’s antler is webbed on the entire one side past the brow so you get added palm length as if it was forked.
The B&C measurer is going to email me the score sheet. I’ll get those numbers soon.

I didn't realize moose could get that big in the L48. As someone else said, @ 50 inches you are pushing Alaska Yukon trophy caliber.. Congratulations!!

Congrats Marley. What an awesome bull. Youi did well as you always do.

Congrats to you also DJ1 - great bull also.

Thanks to both for sharing.

Unbelievable. Congrats. Crab claws on the brows are less impressive but increase the score correct?

Wow, what an impressive shiras! Congrats!

Take a look at post #61. It shows exactly how palm length is messured with the crab claws.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom