CO Sheep

SanJuan

I've been trying to get a better look at this ram since the first time I saw him a year ago. He didn't turn out to be as big as I thought but still a nice ram.

What do you think on age and score?
9604D60A-2C36-4B58-A225-8875179A0664_1_201_a.jpeg

Nice looking ram. Bases probably 14.5-ish and a somewhat tight curl, but he would be hard to pass. Looks like 8 or 9 years old. Any other pics, like a straight-on side view?

That ram's about as big as he's going to get. He's a beauty. Shoot!

Do you know what he scores? Is he dead?

Good mass makes his curl look tight, looks like he drops below his jaw line, tough to judge with 1 pic.....

165--170 ?

Robb

He looks to me to be 9-10 years old. More pics would certainly help with that.
As for score, he looks pretty similar to this ram I saw found in July 2019 in New Mexico (sorry for the pic - phone scope at 0.5+ mile). I saw his unofficial green score sheet after the season and he grossed about 184 with 15.5" bases.
Based on that, I'd say your ram is probably high 170's.

NM_Sheep_2019.jpg

If you zoom in on the photo it looks like he has around 9 rings showing. I'm guessing he's broomed off his lamb's tips which are at least 1 additional year? Mass is a large chunk of the score and pretty tough to judge with just one view. If you look up the harvest reports in the unit he hangs out you can likely get a feel for what the bases are for mature rams.....it's usually genetics and the majority of rams in a unit have similar bases once they reach 3/4 curl. I'm guessing his bases are under 15" but his mass is held well for all 4 mass measurements. If mature rams in the area have bigger bases than 15" he likely scores more than what is posted above!

This particular ram will likely loose around 6+" of his net score due to being broken off on one side (around 3" on each side). It's too bad the B&C does that but that's how it goes. If you want to give the ram credit for the broken side he will score better!

He's a gorgeous ram and I wouldn't get caught up with the score. There aren't many Colo sheep units that produce rams like this one. In fact, there aren't many rams shot in any given year in Colo that are 9+ years old! There may be a couple units where you can find a ram this size or larger but you'll have your work cut out for you! Nice Colo ram!

Thanks for more pictures. In my opinion 14.5 bases, supper tight curl, but he carries his mass nicely, I did write down numbers and come up with high 160’s. I will stay with 9.5 years old and he would be hard to turn down in a lot of sheep units. Is he the biggest Ram you have seen in this unit

Yes he's the biggest ram I've personally seen in the unit although my uncle killed a 176 ram in there in 07'. This ram had a buddy with him in the spring of 2019 that had a deeper drop and looked good but I never got a really good look at him.

These are true native Colorado Rockies as this herd wasn't extirpated at the time of European settlement like so many others were.

There have been some 180 type rams killed in the unit but they are few and far between and I haven't heard of anything that big in a few years.

Last edited:
Just thought I would throw out the numbers behind my guess so that it doesn't just seem as an absurd random number guess.... I just think he's shorter as that's a pretty tight gap in the center of his curl and above his jawline... I wouldn't call you a liar if you thought he was 170-72 that said as he could be longer, pictures are deceiving, I'd rather judge a sheep looking at all angles same as antelope.. On another note, I wouldn't personally pass this ram if it were my own tag...

31 14.5 13.5 12.5 11 L
35 14.5 13.5 12.25 10.25 R

Just thought I would throw out the numbers behind my guess so that it doesn't just seem as an absurd random number guess.... I just think he's shorter as that's a pretty tight gap in the center of his curl and above his jawline... I wouldn't call you a liar if you thought he was 170-72 that said as he could be longer, pictures are deceiving, I'd rather judge a sheep looking at all angles same as antelope.. On another note, I wouldn't personally pass this ram if it were my own tag...

31 14.5 13.5 12.5 11 L
35 14.5 13.5 12.25 10.25 R

I like the estimates here, just think the mass may be over 14.5 on the bases and I don't think the c2 loses a full inch.

I think closer to 172-173...tough to tell.

I also agree unless I knew of another much better ram, this one wouldn't get a pass.

I think I know where this ram is at, and until a couple of years ago I’d say no way under 170. I think he’s upper 160’s though, and 9.5 years old. I’m an expert on the internet. ;) He’s a great looking ram. I wouldn’t hesitate.

168-172 gross my guess. Especially if 14 1/2 bases are par for older rams on the unit. Old nice Ram shoot away. Not an expert, shot one rocky and guided my nephew on a hunt as well. Great memories.

The ram in my avatar scored 188'+ dropping well below his jawline and 16" bases. He aged at 12 years.

Compared to my ram, I'd say he's in the mid-160s. Nice mature ram!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom