Co. Unit 21 again, after 3 yrs

nocwalker

Hello all! well after n3 years we are ready to draw Co. unit 21 archery again. In 2018 we drew a pair of archery tags and planned on coming out early in the season. right around the time the draw was happening I lost my job of 30yrs and we found out my wife had lung cancer while recovering from a smashed vertebrae in her back ( yes, 2018 Sucked). my wife wanted us to still go to 21 from Pa. for this hunt after her surgery. I just could not do this ,period. So we turned the tags in and kept our points wanting to draw them again. I've had 2 jobs since and hope I'll be well settled in this year with enough time off etc...

As of right now it is the plan to draw these tags again and come and visit you guys out there. I had received a few messages to help get us started and certainly appreciated it. I will be re-visiting those messages and re make contact. will have many questions as we move forward, some just downright plain questions. I know lots of guys frown on never being in a unit and drawing a tag but, its our only choice, its not possible for middle class guys from pa to get out there and scout before a hunt (wish we could, we'd love it). we are serious hunters, mostly suburban whitetails. We are both good and not afraid of wilderness.

I just wanted to let you guys know I'll be poking around and asking some questions, and to Thank you guys in advance

and by the way, my wife is doing GREAT !!!

Thanks bill v

This is what I posted in early 2018

Hope some of you guys can steer me in the right direction.

Me and my hunting partner have 11 NR deer points. I know thats too many in most peoples minds but, we didn't care as we were accumulating them figuring we can hunt where we want when we're ready. Its time! we haven't hunted out west for a few yrs now since I drew my Wy ram tag in 2014,that hunt drained me financially and fullfilled me hunting wise. I'm finally out of it and ready to come west again.

I had originally thought 61 would be the hunt to do but have recently decided 61 would be tough and decided on unit 21(for now while I do more research)

If you think there is another hunt I should consider, please let me know. I know that many would say do an early archery hunt above treeline, but, The elevation takes it toll on me and am not considering a unit like that.

Question: is unit 21 ok for early archery with a goal of 160 to 170 bucks?
The reason I ask is: so many suggest to hunt 3rd and 4th season, the deer arn't migrating from another unit ,are they?

Some notes to understand us:
1. 2 of us, bowhunters from Pa.
2. mostly DIY will consider trespass if available
3. archery but will hunt with bows during a gun season
4. will be driving out and can bring an 4 wheeler and wall tent
5. 1st time muledeer hunters
6. Dont need 200" bucks, will be very happy with classic look 4pt deer
7. can not scout, hope to find some scouting help
8. member, CBA,UBP,UBNJ,P&Y,ECWSF etc.. try to help as much as I can

I need to call the CPW (one of the things I need to do) Is Meeker the office that I should call for unit 21?

Thanks in advance for any comments and help.

Nocwalker

Wish I could return the favor in giving info on the above unit in return for speaking with me acouple years ago regarding the sheep tag. Really appreciated it. Never been to that unit though your asking about. Good luck in your research.

I had forgotten that I drove through the unit one time in summer with the family as we were heading to Glenwood Springs from Flaming gorge on our return to Denver for a flight home. Drove that long road from Rangley to RT 70. stopped at a few spots to see the hieroglyphics. Very dry.

Question:
1. is that what the terrain is like in the whole unit?
2. is the terrain the same as the book cliffs in Utah? lots of videos of BCliffs for me to study
3. snakes? anything poisonous we will need to know about?
4. what tribe made those drawings on the rocks?

Thanks Bill V

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom