CO Unit 22 3rd Season Deer

backinthegame

Hello everyone...Utah hunter here, I've got a unit 22 3rd season deer tag in my pocket this fall, and just starting the first stages of research. I've never been on the unit, and do understand that it's not the greatest tag in the state. My dad also has the tag, he's not getting around like he used, decided we needed something that wasn't too physically demanding, and 22 fits that bill. Not expecting to hunt giant bucks, and not needing to either.

If anyone would be willing to share a little info in terms of where to start I'd be happy to reciprocate on something here in UT, I know quite a few units here fairly well. A bit time-crunched this year as I also have a NV rifle deer tag. I know...poor me. Haha

Returned the PM's...thanks guys. E-scouting is a big part of what I do in new areas and getting intel from folks who have been on the ground is a huge help.

here is a little one out of a not so good area 22
20171104_165845.jpg

Also just want to say thanks to everyone who has sent PM's with great info. I know it's somewhat easier to gain intel on units that aren't easy draws, people seem a little more willing to help out in cases like this, but either way, the hunting community is awesome!

I'll be there second season. Still doing my research and collecting info. Excited to get back to Colorado to hunt!

I took all of the points and put in and drew the fourth season in 22. Plan on arriving early and start scouting many days in front and find the best that I can. Any advice would be appreciated, but don't want to hijack the thread as backinthegame was first one up. Thanks.

It was 2019 and I will tell my wife not to ware her hat when taking pics. we got three more that size in 2018.

Wonder why no one posts pictures here anymore???
haha the regulation clearly says solid orange. I don't think I would take the risk and while I agree it would be pretty crappy, it could happen.

As the no post pictures here... If they are such a thin skinned pre-madonna to get upset by a comment by a random stranger, they probably should be posting anything on the net.

I don’t want to seem like I am dissing the pic but I did notice it as odd. I wouldn't have noticed the hat if it was a normal camo one. Lots of people switch those out for pictures. But an orange camo hat (illegal to hunt with a gun) did catch my eye.

But ONLY after looking over that great buck. I just hope my drool doesn’t hurt my phone! Congrats!!

No way in hell he/she would get a ticket for that hat!!
I had an officer tell me I needed to change my hat a couple years ago, said it has to be solid orange. Mine was a orange/black camo pattern.

It's a stupid rule though and a waste of officer's time if they actually do write someone up for it.

Here is my 2017 22 2nd season buck. I messed up and didn't realize he was a stag, just seen a giant body, wide and super heavy, most of the heavy was the velvet. Still a good deer but I shot him the first night and wasn't quite ready to shoot one like that. Lol. He looked really good from 350 yards out in the rifle scope.
Screenshot_20210902-211902_Gallery.jpg

Here is a 2017 22 3rd season buck. Some how I came across this video a few years ago and recognized the guys in the video. I watched it all unfold from a vantage point about a 1/4 mile from them. 3 trucks stopped on the main blacktop rd, and doors started opening. The hunter never stepped foot off the road and actually used a very expensive gun rest(Ford F-250). Heck, I got my own photos through the phone scope of the “crew” walking to the deer.

Here is a 2017 22 3rd season buck. Some how I came across this video a few years ago and recognized the guys in the video. I watched it all unfold from a vantage point about a 1/4 mile from them. 3 trucks stopped on the main blacktop rd, and doors started opening. The hunter never stepped foot off the road and actually used a very expensive gun rest(Ford F-250). Heck, I got my own photos through the phone scope of the “crew” walking to the deer.
185"-20 Utah inches = 165" reality.

I took all of the points and put in and drew the fourth season in 22. Plan on arriving early and start scouting many days in front and find the best that I can. Any advice would be appreciated, but don't want to hijack the thread as backinthegame was first one up. Thanks.
I will be helping a old coworker on his 4th season tag there also. I had the tag in 2018 and it was a very slow hunt. We will probably run into you

Did this with a similar thread I made this year about a unit I drew in NV, updated after the hunt because when I'm searching forums for info it seems like these kind of threads rarely show the result and I always wish they would.

First off, a really big thanks to several guys on here who reached out with PM's, texts, phone calls. I was able to gather some good info going in and hopefully sent some useful info a few guys way in return as well. Always nice to get help from fellow hunters who have some experience in an area and are willing to share.

My dad and I had a great time in 22. My older brother also made it out for the hunt as well as a good buddy, very fun week! Weather wasn't great (well pretty great for comfort, not so much for deer movement) with high's in the 50's or even 60's. No snow. Hunting pressure was CRAZY. I was told to expect it so went in knowing there'd be other guys, but between buck hunters, doe hunters, and elk hunters it was really almost unbelievable how many people were around. Utah general season can be rough, this was twice as bad seemed like! That said, definitely felt like very few were getting off the roads at all. Tons of roads in the unit and I'm sure you can whack a buck from the road if you drive around for a week, but we did what we could to get away from the roads (not easy to do, literally a road on every ridge seems like) and didn't have to go far to find deer that weren't being hassled by other hunters.

We saw 10-15 bucks a day, many of which were dinks, but did find some good bucks. Nothing giant, but solid deer that we were happy to hunt.

My dad's buck we may have overjudged a bit, he looked pretty good from a long ways off and not quite as good once we got our hands on him but regardless a pretty buck and he was happy. A big reason we chose this unit was to hunt together in an area he could access and it worked out perfectly for that. Didn't shoot the deer from the road but he's 68 and got there just fine.

Had a super fun morning chasing my buck around for almost 4 hours as he checked every doe in the canyon (some multiple times), just running like crazy trying to dog him and keep up. Lost him a couple times in thick stuff, but kept turning him back up and eventually he found a doe he liked which let us get in position and eventually get a tight shot after some tense moments. So much fun! Won't score, but a super cool old buck.

Stayed and extra day because we didn't want to go home and ended up with a nice bonus find, matched set from a nice buck.

dad buck.jpg

buck 1.jpg

buck 2.jpg

buck 3.jpg

sheds.jpg

Nice it is sickening what they are doing to that unit. I did not realize that they were going to dump 500 doe tags in 22 for 2nd and 3rd. Glad you had a fun hunt.

Me too, had a good time and that was the goal! I am not even close to being in the know on this unit being a non-resident, but 500 doe tags does seem like a lot. We didn’t see piles and piles of does/deer. Is the justification from the state CWD?

Great bucks! Sounds like you guys had a great time even with the hunting pressure and bad weather. Pretty cool to find a matching set of sheds off a big buck like that

Me too, had a good time and that was the goal! I am not even close to being in the know on this unit being a non-resident, but 500 doe tags does seem like a lot. We didn’t see piles and piles of does/deer. Is the justification from the state CWD?
I have not got an answer on the doe tags. Reducing the buck population is all about CWD. But killing doe does not really affect CWD much. In unit 22 they have never had more than a 3% CWD infection rate.

An elk hunter killed a small 6x6 opening day that had CWD, or at least sure seemed that way. He'd called the game warden and was told to take the head and leave the carcass so they could come look at it. In the pictures he showed us it looked bad for sure. Didn't notice a deer or elk that looked anything other than healthy while we were there.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom