CO Unit 40 3rd season elk

Land Hunter

My father drew CO unit 40 3rd season elk. He's 78 years old so we wanted to burn the points to give him an experience before time runs out. He's taken 20 bulls in ID over the years but never a 6 point. He can hike about one mile if not terribly steep. Is getting him on elk a possibility with those limitations? I'm not sure how good road access is for spotting from roads and then going after anything we find in an accessible spot. I hate to turn the tag in because there probably isn't another option down the road with his health. I'd love to get a guide and private land but that's too expensive for him. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My father drew CO unit 40 3rd season elk. He's 78 years old so we wanted to burn the points to give him an experience before time runs out. He's taken 20 bulls in ID over the years but never a 6 point. He can hike about one mile if not terribly steep. Is getting him on elk a possibility with those limitations? I'm not sure how good road access is for spotting from roads and then going after anything we find in an accessible spot. I hate to turn the tag in because there probably isn't another option down the road with his health. I'd love to get a guide and private land but that's too expensive for him. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Pm sent

I scouted dutring 3rd season in 2021 for 2 days last year. To get a 6 point bull within a mile of the road will take some luck and patience. From what I saw elk were away from roads and on private, although they do move. You will make memories. Good luck

dang 20 bulls with no 6pt. talk about bad luck. Here's a 40 bull shot on west side in mellow terrain.

Screenshot_20220606-183855_Gallery.jpg

From what I have heard, unit 40 is not a unit I would be trying to get a 78 yr old with mobility issues a bull in during 3rd season, unless private is an option. Mostly likely you will have a nice walk in the woods and no elk. If you really want an elk, I would turn it back in and shoot for a better unit for him next year. Sorry it’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the truth as I see it.

Or take out a loan for a once in a lifetime elk hunt.

Last edited:
You’ll have a very hard time getting on any 6 point, especially a good one, with those types of limitations.

That seems to be the theme. It was a last-minute decision when I found out he has 18 points. What units would you recommend with 18 or less points? Overall, I think he needs to be on private land.

Beautiful bull Colorado, hats off....totally agree that 3rd season bulls will make themselves hard to get to.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom