CO unit 40 muzzy hunt

Ynothunt41

I drew a unit 40 muzzy tag. I will be there 5 day before the season and will hunt the whole season. My question is are the bull normally bugling good every year in this unit? I hunt a place in WY and some years it just doesn't seem like they do a lot of talking. I appreciate the info.

They should be going pretty well by then. I hope you have access figured out, because it’s very tough, early when the Elk are up on top….. And I’m not one to cry wolf about these kinds of things, like happens on Internet forums any time you ask about a Unit.

They should be going pretty well by then. I hope you have access figured out, because it’s very tough, early when the Elk are up on top….. And I’m not one to cry wolf about these kinds of things, like happens on Internet forums any time you ask about a Unit.
Thanks for the info. No I don't have access figured out yet. That's why I'm going early to learn and hopefully find some areas before the season starts. The reason I am asking is it makes it a lot easier to find them if they are talking.

Dont want to rain on your parade, but you should have figured out access out before you applied for a 40 tag. Especially muzz.

It is hit or miss on public.

That is a rough hunt. 5 days before muzzy…the archery hunters will be moving them around a bit before you get there and while you are scouting. In my experience in that unit, the elk will be pushed off the main FS area by the start of your hunt. Look for edge areas that are hard to get into or try and find some private access. They may or may not be bugging.

It’s probably too late, but access to private is key. There are areas you can hike into but…getting an elk out without losing most of the meat will be very hard unless you have a team of guys to help pack.

It’s probably too late, but access to private is key. There are areas you can hike into but…getting an elk out without losing most of the meat will be very hard unless you have a team of guys to help pack.
Got Ya, I see where you are coming from. Trust me I will not let elk meat go to waist. Now that I have killed a few elk my family and I are not big fans of beef. To us elk is way better. If I had to pack all night that's what I would do. I have a head lamp and on X and will have water and a few snacks with me. I think I will do fine especially if the elk are talking (that's why I was asking) as that makes it a lot easier to locate them since there will be no snow. Thanks for your comments as it gives me more to prepare for.

I have been on a few ranches, up on top of the plateau in early September, and I would LOVE to hunt those bulls during the Muzzy season, on private….. However, the access to public, outside of the one little block of Forest is just about non-existent, that I know of.

There may be some good pockets of Elk off the top. I don’t know because I haven’t been in there in September. Perhaps someone can give you some local knowledge.

You had to have burned a lot of points on that tag. For a Non Res, it’s essentially once in a lifetime. If I were you, I’d make damn sure I had a good plan before early August, so you have the option of returning the tag and getting your points back. It’s that much of an issue. Just my .02.

Best of luck to you. If you go, I hope you kill a big’n

I had the third rifle tag there last year and I went scouting in mid October and there were elk screaming all over the place then. I imagine that they will be vocal during the muzz hunt.
As for access I hunted some of the higher elevation forest service during mid November and found elk, and even heard bugling. Most of the elk I found on forest service were cows, spikes and raghorns. It was frustrating hunting up top, you would see lots of elk but there is so much private up there. They were almost always on the wrong side of the fence.
I ended up hunting some lower elevation blm and had success there. I don’t think the elk will be that low during the Muzzeloader hunt. Good luck, it can be a fun but frustrating hunt.

I have been on a few ranches, up on top of the plateau in early September, and I would LOVE to hunt those bulls during the Muzzy season, on private….. However, the access to public, outside of the one little block of Forest is just about non-existent, that I know of.

There may be some good pockets of Elk off the top. I don’t know because I haven’t been in there in September. Perhaps someone can give you some local knowledge.

You had to have burned a lot of points on that tag. For a Non Res, it’s essentially once in a lifetime. If I were you, I’d make damn sure I had a good plan before early August, so you have the option of returning the tag and getting your points back. It’s that much of an issue. Just my .02.

Best of luck to you. If you go, I hope you kill a big’n
Thanks El Gringo...I know it's not going to be easy but no way I'm I turning the tag in. I did burn a lot of points and glad I did now. That may change my mind after the hunt. I think if I work hard enough I will do fine. I shot a bull in the mid 330" several years ago and don't expect to shot one that big (yeah I know they are there and bigger). I'm just looking to have fun and shot a decent bull and bring back some meat. Again I'm just hoping the bulls are talking, That will help A LOT.

I had the third rifle tag there last year and I went scouting in mid October and there were elk screaming all over the place then. I imagine that they will be vocal during the muzz hunt.
As for access I hunted some of the higher elevation forest service during mid November and found elk, and even heard bugling. Most of the elk I found on forest service were cows, spikes and raghorns. It was frustrating hunting up top, you would see lots of elk but there is so much private up there. They were almost always on the wrong side of the fence.
I ended up hunting some lower elevation blm and had success there. I don’t think the elk will be that low during the Muzzeloader hunt. Good luck, it can be a fun but frustrating hunt.
Thanks for the info T bone!! I'm glad you filled your tag. Yep that like some of my hunts that I have been on before. I know it can be frustrating especially when you burn a lot of points. That's why I'm trying to keep my expectation in check.

Thanks El Gringo...I know it's not going to be easy but no way I'm I turning the tag in. I did burn a lot of points and glad I did now. That may change my mind after the hunt. I think if I work hard enough I will do fine. I shot a bull in the mid 330" several years ago and don't expect to shot one that big (yeah I know they are there and bigger). I'm just looking to have fun and shot a decent bull and bring back some meat. Again I'm just hoping the bulls are talking, That will help A LOT.

Mind sharing how many points it took ?

Never really any certainty on the rut. But there should be some talking going on. Like others have said before; the most difficult task your going to have is finding finding elk on public land and how to logistically get to get to them during September when majority of the elk are on the top in the sea of private land.

You have to really not have a clue to let meat spoil in the mountains, even in warmer temps. I know a guy who killed a good one on public a few years back. Good luck on your hunt! Would love to see a pic of a bull if you get one.

Never really any certainty on the rut. But there should be some talking going on. Like others have said before; the most difficult task your going to have is finding finding elk on public land and how to logistically get to get to them during September when majority of the elk are on the top in the sea of private land.
Thanks Coloradoboy, I know you must burn a lot of fuel in your truck and boot leather. I have a lot of respect for guys like you that put a lot of work into hunting.

Use that ONX now and look for roadside access up miserably steep country. I drove thru some country and saw how difficult it will be and opted on dumping my points. especially because of point creep. Id hunt private lines near known outfitters as they will bump elk off private periodically also deep canyons! I hunt an OTC hot weather unit and fin elk where water and shade are close by and watch elk rut in 90 degree sun at noon so hunt as often as you can handle and sit on elk you find in shade but be ready to at any second. good luck

Yep I have been looking at OnX a lot. I marked some spots to check out. I will look for spot just like you are talking about. The thing I hate about mid day is it seems the wind swirls more but if your not in woods you can kill them. Very good advice, Thank you MtnHillbilly!!!

Just remember, this is a once in a lifetime hunt for you. Starting with zero it will take you at least 35 years to draw next time. So you should at least consider private trespass or hiring a guide. I know I will when I finally draw a Utah tag

Just remember, this is a once in a lifetime hunt for you. Starting with zero it will take you at least 35 years to draw next time. So you should at least consider private trespass or hiring a guide. I know I will when I finally draw a Utah tag
You are right It is a once and a lifetime for me. I will burn my point on lower point units from now on. I would rather burn my points on public and try myself than get a outfitter but that's just me . I have a good outfitter in Wyoming that I plan to go with next year. I'm not a big fan of going with outfitters but I told my buddy I would go. Thanks for your input and good luck!!

Best of luck to you. Please let us know how the hunt went. I’ll never save the points for that tag, but I’d be interested to hear

You don't need access to private. Sure it would be nice, but definitely don't need it.
I grew up on that unit, so I will respectfully disagree. The chances of shooting a big bull without private access is slim. There is always a chance of getting lucky and catching a bull moving through from private pressure, but the big bulls absolutely know where the private is and live there.
If I’m burning 22 points, I don’t want a rag horn. I’m not trying to discourage the OP hunter, but I don’t want him to think there is a lot of great public land to hunt. The higher forest access is a small area, there is a lot of BLM lower, but from my experience they don’t push down until later.
As others have said, I’d find deep/nasty draws adjacent to private, or fingers coming off of the top flats. As far as bugling is concerned, it is hot and miss. They can definitely be a little call-shy.

I grew up on that unit, so I will respectfully disagree. The chances of shooting a big bull without private access is slim. There is always a chance of getting lucky and catching a bull moving through from private pressure, but the big bulls absolutely know where the private is and live there.
If I’m burning 22 points, I don’t want a rag horn. I’m not trying to discourage the OP hunter, but I don’t want him to think there is a lot of great public land to hunt. The higher forest access is a small area, there is a lot of BLM lower, but from my experience they don’t push down until later.
As others have said, I’d find deep/nasty draws adjacent to private, or fingers coming off of the top flats. As far as bugling is concerned, it is hot and miss. They can definitely be a little call-shy.
I will say this. I don't have experience on the muzzy hunt. All I know is I could have shot big bulls numerous times numerous years on public during third season. I should have stated that my experience is during November in my original post. However, I'm sure there are people that still get it done on public land during the muzzleload hunt. However, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Yes and no. I found a few with very small pieces of private 500-700 that wanted $3500 for access. The guided ran around 7K and the better spots take a few years advance booking.

Thanks for your input!! I'm not discouraged at all. One thing I know is if I go I have a chance. If I don't go I have no chance. The harder I work the better my chances. I will give it my all and see what happens.

Sorry for the delay...I did not get to hunt. My father in law has been having heart issues so I didn't get to hunt. I do want to say thank you for your help for those that gave me info!!
Sorry to hear that, family first always. Outfitter in the area has been posting some very nice harvest pics, and was hoping you had success. Hope the FIL gets doing better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom