CO Unit 44/66 4th Season Required Points?

Foreman400

Hi All,

Getting close to crunch time! Any thoughts on how many N/R points it is going to take to draw a 44 or 66 4th season tag this year? I anticipate some point creep and with many mags and podcasts telling everyone to 'burn them" this year it will be interesting to see how many high point holders apply. With very limited numbers of 4th season tags it might take more points than I originally planned. Appreciate your thoughts. Thx.

Looks like last year it took 24 pts min for both units for 4th season. Plus five would put us @ 29 pts. Looks like there are many N/R with more than 26 points (myself included). I may have to rethink my application strategy.....

Thanksgiving is the wild card this year and a few other future years. Will those non-residents with that many points burn them and hunt instead of having turkey day with the family? I kind of think they might not burn them and the 4th might not jump much, but who knows with so few tags, anything can happen...heck it could actually go down. I think 3rd season may jump more then the 4ths.

It’ll be interesting to see, but I wouldn’t expect INSANE jumps. A buddy of mine has 15 points applying for a 3rd unit that took 12. My opinion was that he’ll draw it. It might take 13 or 14 this year as a few more folks jump in, but won’t increase a lot.
I honestly believe a lot of people sitting on large numbers of points are those who aren’t “that serious” about mule deer hunting. They jumped into the game many years ago when Huntin Fool pushed it nationally to buy points, buy points everywhere, for everything. Many of those folks just aren’t that serious about mule deer hunting. They bought points cause the magazine said to. They still don’t know for sure where to go and what to do when they get there.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not putting them down, I’m just stating that lots of people sit on large numbers of points who just aren’t all that serious about CO mule deer hunting.
Same holds true in other states.
Therefore, my opinion is that it won’t jump insanely. Some yes, but not insanely. It’ll be interesting to see though.

But I also think I’m going to land a tag off the reissue list, so maybe I’m going crazy.:)

It’ll be interesting to see, but I wouldn’t expect INSANE jumps. A buddy of mine has 15 points applying for a 3rd unit that took 12. My opinion was that he’ll draw it. It might take 13 or 14 this year as a few more folks jump in, but won’t increase a lot.
I honestly believe a lot of people sitting on large numbers of points are those who aren’t “that serious” about mule deer hunting. They jumped into the game many years ago when Huntin Fool pushed it nationally to buy points, buy points everywhere, for everything. Many of those folks just aren’t that serious about mule deer hunting. They bought points cause the magazine said to. They still don’t know for sure where to go and what to do when they get there.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not putting them down, I’m just stating that lots of people sit on large numbers of points who just aren’t all that serious about CO mule deer hunting.
Therefore, my opinion is that it won’t jump insanely. Some yes, but not insanely. It’ll be interesting to see though.

But I also think I’m going to land a tag off the reissue list, so maybe I’m going crazy.:)
I agree i think some people just like having a bunch of points to say they do. If they were real serious they would have never gotten that many in the first place. After all you have to hunt to kill deer. And hunt alot to kill some big ones

some good thoughts!! everybody is different for sure....when i started collecting points i was getting over the counter muzzy tags every year and hunting elk ...then had 2 kids...work and life took over...then my hunting buddies started dropping off...literally and figuratively...now i have a bunch...where do you go? then you get mellower sometimes when your older!!

I guess you can lump me into this group. However, I didn't start buying points because of a magazine or just to say I have a lot of points. I was encouraged by a friend whom at the time was going to CO most every year or two to put in for PP. I did so not planning to go every year or so, but to buy points for if and when I was ready, then I could use them on a higher quality unit. At the beginning it cost very little, now 22 points later it's gotten more expensive. Over time I've even considered to stop putting in for PP, but knew how much it would set me back in the points game if doing so. I actually put in for a specific unit that was doing pretty good at the time. I that time it was taking 8-9 points to draw it, which I had 10-11 at the time. That year I put in there was a point creep and I didn't make the cut.

At this time, I plan to put in this year for a hunt that I had enough puts this past year to draw. We will see if the point creep will knock me out of the drawing or not.

During the time I was buying points I went to Kodiak Island for brown bear,three moose hunts, two goat hunts,Dall sheep hunt,Quebec caribou hunt,Alberta cougar,Alberta whitetail and mule deer. I bought points for when I retired. I’m 64 now and used Wyoming points for 58 elk and 60 antelope and have max points for Wyoming deer. I wanted to hunt everything not just mule deer. Hunt whitetails here in Ohio and have hunted whitetails
in lots of the neighboring states. If I lived in a western state I think I would have hunted all the neighboring states just like a lot of you
do. You are right.Mule deer was never my #1 goal but it would be nice to take a nice one. I’ve got 19 points.

Yea if u think u r getting one this yr off the reissue w the new process u r crazy lol! I’m not complaining cause I’ve had three bull tags off it but I think those days are over

Question for the experts!
In unit 66 and 44 the 4th season non-resident deer quota is capped at 20%.
For those units third seasons the cap Is 35%.

At what point does the nonresident cap drop from 35% to 20%?

I think the creep is pretty unpredictable this year, but it feels like the higher point tags will creep that much more, simply because there are so few tags that it takes fewer apps to make it jump a point. I agree the Thanksgiving aspect of it makes 4th unpredictable, and 3rd is likely to jump more than 4th. I have 20 and applied for a 3rd season tag in a unit that took 16 last year, and I'm sweating it thinking I may not draw. If I had 10 points and was applying in a unit that took 6 last year I'd feel very confident in my draw odds. What will be really interesting is to see if some of these likely 4-5 point creeps actually go backward next year and take a point or two less again.

:) Are you that confident because of the loophole, what if it is closed this year?

Rich
“The loophole”.......shhhhh, no one knows that secret loophole. What’s your secret loophole and I’ll tell you if it’s my secret loophole.
I don’t even think “they” know about “the loophole”, so how could “they” close it? Maybe your loophole will be closed, but I think mine is safe.

If you think it is just luck that all the good tags go to the same people every year your not paying attention. I have a feeling you know what I am talking about.

Rich

That’s funny guys with no points bashing guys with points and thinking they really don’t like to hunt Mule Deer. Bottom feeders, keep on guessing

I think every hunter has his own priorities in regard to hunts and pref/bonus pts.

Some hunters may have their eye on drawing one unit that has been just outside their reach of pts to draw. Other hunters may take advantage of other hunts they enjoy closer to home. If you are like me, there are always scheduling conflicts and the fear of drawing too many tags in any given year.

I apply in several states that are a long drive or flight from home. Scouting new areas is always a challenge when they are so far away. It is sometimes spooky burning a pile of pts in fear of not having time to devote to scout and hunt the unit effectively. I have a pile of deer and elk pts in Nevada. If I lived close and had local knowledge of the units I likely would have burned my pts years ago!

The Colo loopholes sound interesting??!!!

I think every hunter has his own priorities in regard to hunts and pref/bonus pts.

Some hunters may have their eye on drawing one unit that has been just outside their reach of pts to draw. Other hunters may take advantage of other hunts they enjoy closer to home. If you are like me, there are always scheduling conflicts and the fear of drawing too many tags in any given year.

I apply in several states that are a long drive or flight from home. Scouting new areas is always a challenge when they are so far away. It is sometimes spooky burning a pile of pts in fear of not having time to devote to scout and hunt the unit effectively. I have a pile of deer and elk pts in Nevada. If I lived close and had local knowledge of the units I likely would have burned my pts years ago!

The Colo loopholes sound interesting??!!!
I think you’re right with many guys chasing particular hunts and point creep just keeps making it difficult to ever catch up. If you look at all applicant numbers, not a real large percentage of top point holders draw tags. It appeared to be in that 10% per year, so there are definitely a lot of people chasing hunts, otherwise far more top point holders would be drawing each year.
The question is, will all a bunch of those folks who have been chasing particular hunts but haven’t caught up to those hunts, jump ship on that hunt a burn points on a different hunt?

On the plus side, I know guys with a boatload of pts. that are burning this year and don't have a plan. 1 guy I know just has never paid attention so he said he's just gonna get a point. Kinda think he's waiting to retire so he'd have more time to hunt maybe. Another guy that's near the top just can't do it this year due to personal circumstances. I'm also wondering how many point holders are actually dead! Kinda sobering, but since they don't take your points away unless you don't apply for 10 years, tells me there are likely some high up on the list that have passed but will still be on the list.

You both need to stop talking right now!

Back to point creep please
I know exactly how you feel. There was another topic on the Utah forum where guys just kept yapping and keeping the subject alive hotspotting the unit and it was right in the middle of the application period.

Ok, I'm back to point creep, wow, there will be a lot of point creep this year.

Rich
So do you think it’ll be people who’ve been buying points only all these years who will jump in, or folks who’ve been unsuccessful chasing hunts that’ll just apply for different hunts that take fewer points? Or just a mix of both?

Mix of both. All of the doom and gloom about the dates and that Colorado is going to fall off a cliff after the late dates. All the magazines say burn your points. If you were ever going to use your points on a late season hunt, the dates will never get better. I am also judging it on how many calls ranchers I know are getting this year about vouchers. I have also been hit up more this year than any other year on where to burn my Colorado points.

Also last year they added tags to some units, like 100 to 66/67, however none of the added tags went to 3rd or 4th. They were all added to the earlier seasons. I expect more of the same if there are increases, or maybe adjustments in tags to some earlier seasons. I know there was pushback on the late seasons by outfitters and some locals, so I don't know how that will manifest itself in allocations.

Most of the 3rd and 4th season tags that folks want, have very few tags. They will be the most volatile in point swings. Any season with 100 tags or fewer will see the most action. Some 4th season tags have 10 tags and 1 person could upset the apple cart.

Rich

Lostinoregon makes some great points. A lot hinges on what the cwd does with tag allotments. If tags remain the same there will be point leap. If tags are reduced it will take even more pts than last year to draw.

If it’s a mild fall with warm and dry winter it will still be a tough hunt. If it’s a cool fall with lots of snow it could be a slaughter.

There are a lot of “ifs” but it doesn’t look good for trophy mule deer in Western Colorado in the long run

Those units that took RESIDENTS 6 points, (I believe, going by memory, its in the CO big game proclamation) minimum average over a 3 yr period to draw way back in 2009 (yes, wish they would run off more current years) is where it splits.

There are a lot of “ifs” but it doesn’t look good for trophy mule deer in Western Colorado in the long run
Look at it this way, when we do finally get a trophy, it’ll be that much more special because there are fewer of them. The rarity is what’s makes it a trophy, no?

Until the cpw puts a star by the unit there is a 80/20 split. Some units have taken over 6 or what ever the minimum for years and haven’t converted to 80/20. I have always wondered why they haven’t changed but it’s great for nonres!

Another thing nonres may want to consider is if pts leap and the split goes to 80/20 in a bunch of units there will be fewer tags available to nonres.

Ideally winters won’t be as harsh and the cpw implement wildlife habitat improvement projects on critical winter ranges that boost deer numbers and tags available to hunters! More deer....more happy hunters.....more $ for the cpw!!!

Trophy is in the eye of the beholder! B&C have minimums. To make B&C takes a special buck or species of any kind that I personally would considered a trophy of a lifetime! What is unfortunate is colo has been re-writing the B&C books for muleys the past 15 years and that soon will only be known as history of the glory days of the past!

Last edited:
Look at it this way, when we do finally get a trophy, it’ll be that much more special because there are fewer of them. The rarity is what’s makes it a trophy, no?
Not what happed in Montana, soon you will be calling any buck with four points and spread better than ear wide a trophy.

I think what you are seeing with the point creek are a bunch of guys aging out/retirement age and ready to do a hunt. For me I have been grabbing points in several states and just pick a hunt each yea that I think I can draw. Last year creep caught me but that was ok since I just drew out an Iowa deer tag. This year with some luck I be in CO Unit 2 Muzzy. Next year it will be time to use up my max deer point in WY. Following year I should be able ti draw my UT deer tag. All fun and if I don't draw out west I'll just kill my share of whitetails and bear out east. All is good.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input. Hoping that creep is not as bad as I fear it might be. Now the waiting begins...
Like many, I have been accumulating points across the West for a long time. So hard to believe that I was still in college with no kids when I started to build CO deer points. Now both my sons are college graduates. How time has flown by! Two kids, kids youth sports, kids HS sports, kids college football, work, family, still managed to fit in plenty of hunts and dream about a 4th season CO high quality hunt some day! As mentioned by others, I love having a bunch of CO points in my back pocket. Many overcrowded and low quality OTC type hunts in ID, UT, MT and CO were made a little better dreaming of the CO hunt I was building points for. I may have waited a little too long, now prospects are not nearly as good as several years ago, but it is still better than work or other options! Best of luck to all in the upcoming drawings!

I agree, My ex brother in law is sitting on 25 Colorado resident points

Heard a rumor that I need to followup on but it won't matter now that the deadline has past. I heard they were cutting deer tags by 25% in an area I was interested in. I hope to get ahold of the guy today so it's just a rumor but this guy tends to know some key info from when I've talked to him previously. If so, my odds certainly went down a bunch as the top units just don't have a lot of tags to begin with. In 2019, I went to a CPW meeting and they had copies of proposed tag numbers but since there were no physical meetings this year, I didn't happen to see anyone posting numbers. I'll post later

Heard a rumor that I need to followup on but it won't matter now that the deadline has past. I heard they were cutting deer tags by 25% in an area I was interested in. I hope to get ahold of the guy today so it's just a rumor but this guy tends to know some key info from when I've talked to him previously. If so, my odds certainly went down a bunch as the top units just don't have a lot of tags to begin with. In 2019, I went to a CPW meeting and they had copies of proposed tag numbers but since there were no physical meetings this year, I didn't happen to see anyone posting numbers. I'll post later
I applied for a 4th season tag last year. The tags in that unit got cut from 20 to 15 (after I had applied). I believe I was 1 of 4 with my points that didn't draw. I applied in a neighboring unit this year 3rd season. Now just wait and see.

I applied for a 4th season tag last year. The tags in that unit got cut from 20 to 15 (after I had applied). I believe I was 1 of 4 with my points that didn't draw. I applied in a neighboring unit this year 3rd season. Now just wait and see.
Stevo - Are you talking unit 44 or 66? From what I see, unit 44 has had identical numbers in '18, '19 and '20 for both 3rd and 4th season. 20 total tags, 13 resident tags in 4th season and 11 resident tags in 3rd season.

Friend talked to the Warden for 44 and said they had proposed to cut tags for 3rd and 4th from 20 total to 15. So, not sure if the Commission accepted that or kept it at 20. At this point I guess it doesn't matter.

Unit 44 seems to be one of the few in the state that they are trying to keep the buck quality up for deer
If they do reduce the tags to 15 that will make it a max point draw probably.

Stevo - Are you talking unit 44 or 66? From what I see, unit 44 has had identical numbers in '18, '19 and '20 for both 3rd and 4th season. 20 total tags, 13 resident tags in 4th season and 11 resident tags in 3rd season.
I applied for 67 4th season last year. Didn't draw with 23 NR points.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom