CO unit 61 3rd season

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
Anyone willing to share info on 61 Muleys? I'm really thinking about burning pts on it this year. I've never been on a guided hunt, but may this year...always been a DIY guy in the past.

Thanks

I hunted 61 in 06. Stay off divide road and hunt low on the mesas. Can be very good and DIY not a problem. Private is on very South end and that's where the guided hunts take place. Some big canyons to the South hardly get touched. Sourkraut

I don't know your circumstances, if distance is the reason you want to go with a guide or not. My .02 Colorado is an easy DIY state. You just need to plan for that particular unit. Do all your online scouting. If you can plan a summer trip to get to know the area, do it. If not don't worry about it. Show up a few days before the hunt opens, scout things out, you should be good to go.

I agree stay off of the divide road, hunt lower elevations on the Southern portion of the unit. But don't rule out the North. North is not as accessible. There are several pinion juniper areas that have been railed sometime ago. PM me, I will to discuss more particulars. I have only hunted the unit 2 times and it has been several years ago. I don't know what current herd conditions are like. Good luck.

It would be distance and a new area I haven't hunted before, if i go guided.

Really don't want to waste the points... I wouldn't be able to do the scouting like I would want to before a hunt.

I'm on the fence though, I could put the guide fees towards really nice optics instead...

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback so far. I'll send a couple of pms

I hunted there last year 2nd season , big disappointment . We saw 12 bucks in 6 days, nothing bigger than a small injured 4 point. I found out during the hunt they are doing a Mountain Lion study in the unit and allow very few lion tags. 3rd season is probably better, but I wouldn't burn points to hunt there for deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom