CO unit 61 first season success.

Pjsherpa

Got my bull opening day. Second best bull I saw. I found him in a deep canyon where he thought he was safe . Saw a lot of small bulls off divide road but no shooters for me. So I started looking in the canyons where people drove passed and found few bigger bulls, no 350” +. Don’t think it’s a trophy unit but you have a great chance in getting a good 6 point. 11 points I used.

D77CC088-290B-4762-A769-D8186A84FB54.jpeg

Congrats on your bull! :)

Hunted it last yr late season. Saw 2 good bulls and took the second best (340 6x7) on the last hour of the last day. There's plenty of good bulls in 61.

Its a big rugged unit with deep canyons and heavy brush. Not much pressure if you scout, check out leads and glass where a big bull would go.

The key is to scout early, get away from pressured areas, use good glass and make the most of your time. You might have to switch locations, and don't be afraid to ask others where they've seen elk.

Unconfirmed but a local told me a 360 class bull was taken by another local during the last season.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I know of one 5x5 got shot he went 320”. Saw him everyday before the season started while scouting. Shot my bull opening afternoon. Tossed the antlers in barn to collect dust and have a freezer full of meat . Glad I’m out of the point game in CO.

Congratulations, it’s a great bull and will be awesome to have all that meat!

Got my bull opening day. Second best bull I saw. I found him in a deep canyon where he thought he was safe . Saw a lot of small bulls off divide road but no shooters for me. So I started looking in the canyons where people drove passed and found few bigger bulls, no 350” +. Don’t think it’s a trophy unit but you have a great chance in getting a good 6 point. 11 points I used.

View attachment 15139
Congrats!! I didn’t know u could draw that tag w 11 pts? But I hadn’t looked at draw odds for Residents but I think it’s 20 something pts for NR

Congrats on your bull. I might have to give up the chase for a tag in unit 201, and try unit 61 some day.

Again, nice bull!

Sweet busted up bull. I love that character! Fun to imagine all the battles that led to that.

Question: how far do people think a bull scouted in pre-rut (late August) might move during the rut (mid-late September) and by early October? Can you find them in the same canyons in 61 all rut or are they moving to different canyons and drainages to find cows?

He just wanted to be talk of the town. Its lame but to each their own. I imagine you're one of em ol mean bean and the bada$$ bunch?

Congrats pjsherpa hunted that tag last year and lucked out on an outsized bull (>350) for the unit. Fun! hunt.

Like i said to each their own
I'd pay money to see you try to fit that in the back of that cab without sawing off some horn.....Pretty sure you'd look like the clown....

I have nothing to do with that bull but I'm pretty sure I could arrange an opportunity for you to look like a fool....

Also to the OP, Congratulations on the bull!

Last edited:
I'd pay money to see you try to fit that in the back of that cab without sawing off some horn.....Pretty sure you'd look like the clown....

I have nothing to do with that bull but I'm pretty sure I could arrange an opportunity for you to look like a fool....

Also to the OP, Congratulations on the bull!
That thing would easily fit in the back of that truck with a camper shell. I have the same truck

So are you saying this guy went elk hunting and didn’t bring any ice chests or gear with him? Is he supposed to put the antlers in the bed and then put the ice chest with all the meat from the elk and all of us hunting gear on top of the camper shell. Dude you’re making yourself look like an ass.

That guy looks like an ass id do whatever i had to not let eveyone in the world know exactly where i killed a bull of that caliber and then parade it around. And yea plenty of room to put gear in after its in there inside the rack

That guy looks like an ass id do whatever i had to not let eveyone in the world know exactly where i killed a bull of that caliber and then parade it around. And yea plenty of room to put gear in after its in there inside the rack
If you look closely you'll see the tails on that bull are straddling the topper from nearly outside to outside.... The glass and tailgate are more narrow than that wise guy.... not to say it might be wider than the tails....

Just keep digging your hole and go crawl in it....
IMG_6709.jpg

This bull is an anomaly for this unit... 90% of the bulls harvested are likely sub 300"....

Last edited:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom