CO unit 76 archery elk

buttwhacker

Finally drew an archery elk tag in CO's Unit 76. I am planning a couple scouting trips out there this summer. I dont expect any "free-bees" on peoples honey holes but any info offered is much appreciated. The hunt will be a DIY backpack hunt on foot. I know it is a rough, high country hunt and also realize this unit is not much different than any others; the further from roads and public pressure the better chance at an opportunity at a mature bull. Thanks in advance and good luck on your hunts.

Jay Leasure
Nebraska

I film elk all summer and fall in 76. You can call
me at 970 252 1294 Roy in montrose

Butt, you just made the best friend a guy with a 76 tag could wish for. Go back and see the pics Roy has posted. Maybe not archery friendly but awesome.

By the way, how did you decide on that title. I try to keep my sexual preferences private. LMAO

I am aware of rocketman and his awesome photos. I will call you rocketman. I did an AK halibut trip a couple summers ago and I caught a couple barndoor size butts, thence the nickname "Buttwhacker". Thanks

Jay

Rocketman,

I'll be calling as well as I'm in the same boat. I tried sending you a PM a few days ago but I don't think it took. I was told you sell your DVD's and that sure sounds interesting.

When's a good time to reach you?

Thanks!

Alan (aka Herron)

I hunted the muzzleloader season a couple years ago and would be happy to share what I know. PM if you would like. Best of luck...

Congrats,
You will have a good hunt in 76 pretty much anywhere you go. I also drew my 76 archery tag. PM me if you want some tips.

Hey Jay...sent you a pm. let me know if you did not get it. Kind of new at the forum thing. I will repsopnd to the other pm's when I have a bit more time to type. Take care...

OK, here goes.

Hey Jay, Go Big Red. I spent 6th to 11th grade in Omaha and actually have a wedding there on Aug 30th (1st game of new Pelini era and they are having a wedding?). I will fly back to Albuquerque on the 31st and drive up to Creede, Co (center of unit 76) that afternoon. I was already there the first week of June. We have been going there for 17 years now a at least 1 week a year (a 2nd when lucky) for vacation, great place.

Totally unrelated, my brother got us into elk hunting and found unit 76 was great maybe 15 years ago,(so, the vacation spot now doubles as elk hunting spot, nice). I get to do some scouting but don't usually get to see elk like in Rocketman's posts. Our first time up there hunting, we got a 6x6. My brother pulled the trigger that year but I say he is mine. I did the scouting, picked the meadow, did the calling and talked him out of shooting a 4x4 first. We have passed on plenty of smaller animals since the 6x6, its the one place I have hunted that we always knew we see a few animals and have choices.

My brother has got in 3 hunts and this will be my 3rd, hopefully not my last with the way points work now. Two years ago, my brother pulled the trigger on an unbelievable animal during muzzle loader season. We looked for him for three full days. Neither of us had ever been involved in losing an animal before, it sucked huge. We went for a fishing trip the next spring and spent most of our time looking for him again.

Rocketman, I spoke to you before that hunt. If you don't mind, I would like to call you again. Thanks. That goes for PM's to the rest of you too. I found MM years ago and have always been a reader, thanks to Littlefoot, Rocketman, BOBCATBESS, etc., but now is the time to get in my "research".

This will be my first time archery hunting up there. I have 2 or 3 honey spots, and know some generalities about stuff west of town within a hike from the vehicle. I wouldn't mind talking to first timers about ideas and any experts about "expanding" my knowledge (like I said, could be my last time there). I work Sun-Wed, 7-7, but I'm around home most of Thur-Sat, 505-898-6416. I got work arranged so I can be up there 8/31-9/6, 9/11-9/20 and 9/25-29th. Now its time to practice shooting and calling.

Wes

I also drew a 76 archery tag along with my dad, we cant wait!!!
anyone has any info they would like to share im all ears lol
hope everyone has a great season

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom