CO Unit 78/80 advice

WCKyle

First time poster and I was wondering anyone had any advice on either of these units. Hunted 80 last year in 2nd rifle and saw a few elk but no many. Actually got into some bugling bulls on the last day but nothing I wanted to take. That country is rough and rugged. Will be going back this year to give it another try bc im more familiar with it. We tent camped and are in good enough shape to go anywhere we need to go on foot. I know it’s not a great unit but it’s more of a for fun hunt this year and a legal bull would be good for us on this one. Thanks in advance.

Hey brother, CO has the most intense website in all western states for big game hunting start there. No if your like me and would like to talk with someone can the game warden in the area your looking to hunt he can put you on some good areas

good luck
joe

Never been in 80, but I've hunted 77/78 3rd rifle several times, and like you hear with just about anything related to the outdoors.... OTC Colorado just ain't what it used to be. I have been very fortunate relative to most I know in Colorado OTC units, killed a ~280" 6x6 in 2012, and a 340" 6x6 in 2013 (year of the fires in 76 that we're thinking likely pushed him and many others over from that side - my uncle killed a 315" 6x6 the day before). Most elk I ever saw in a season on public land there was in 2013. The bull I killed in 2012 was the only elk I saw on public. Those trips were with an outfitter we've gotten to know very well who grew up there and knows the country and what the elk do as well as anyone. 2014 I went with a with a buddy and he killed a small 5x5, one of 3 elk we saw the whole trip. 2015 no bull, 2017 no bull and only saw about 3 cows and a spike the day before the season, no elk seen during the season. Meanwhile, uncle went with that same outfitter those years and produced similar results. Just riddled with hunters. Despite my success years back, at this point I consider Colorado OTC a camping trip with a rifle. I think you're much better served finding a unit that takes 1-2 points, getting familiar with it, and just going every couple of years. I know 77/78/771 went to draw for archery this year, but the draw hunts alone (archery, muzzle, 1st and 4th rifle) had a bull tag quota over 3000. Now, there were a lot of leftover archery tags, bundle that number with unlimited OTC in 2nd and 3rd rifle, and I can't figure how a bull ever makes it past his first set of horns as a legal 4x4. It's sad really.

WCKyle, you gearing up for your hunt? Figure out where you're going to be yet? Happy to offer up some additional advice on 77 if you're going to be in there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom