Coati in AZ

R

redrabbit

A friend and I would like to hunt these coon/monkey hybrids in the next month. I have only seen some coati once several years ago in unit 29. Now that whitetail season is over, I wonder if any of you lucky tagholders have run across these critters and would like to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Doug/RedRabbit

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-04 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]I know I have seen them in the Chiracuhuas 3 or 4 of times. Mostly in West Turkey Creek, Cottonwood, and John Long canyons. Talk to the ranchers in there. I've heard stories of coatis attacking their dogs by dropping down out of the trees on top of them.

for whatever reason you can only shoot one per year. they're a stinkin' pest too. my grandad's brother was a government trapper for over 40 years, retiring in the early 60's. he didn't have anything good to say about them. over the past 40 years or so, they've been on a northerly migration. used to be you would see them in the galiuros and maybe the santa terresas, but that was as far north and as high in elevation as they got. then they covered the pinalenos, too (mt graham). the pinalenos had a heck of a turkey herd when i was younger. now there are none. not one damn turkey. according to my ol' uncle, when he started seeing coatis on graham, he quit seeing turkeys. they get the eggs and the babies. i've seen them as far north as tenney mt. hope they don't start getting the turkeys in the white mt's too. there are a lot of them in the juan miller area, on the road to the lower blue. i had a late bull tag in 27 3 years ago, and saw them all over the blue. a friend saw one on sierra montosa, near vernon. don't know what the game and fish reasoning is as far as limiting them to one a year. they aren't really native to the areas they're starting to invade and they will cause a negative impact on the the small game in the areas they move into. the cedar springs area in unit 31 has a lot of coatis, as does all the klondyke/araviapa country. they're an interesting animal to watch, but i sure hope they don't have the same effect in the northern country that they had on mt graham.

everytime we run dogs for lion, the dogs end up catching a few of them. They can sure tear up a dog in no time. We have a guy coming in from NY for a guided coati hunt in a month. I cant imagine anyone paying money to shoot one of those, BUT you never know. 33 has a ton of them!!!!!!!

Lance

I have seen them just South of Honeymoon in 27, I called in a bunch while bear hunting one year and had no idea they were up that far North. The most I have ever seen is in 33, the Catalinas. The Catalina's were covered up with them before the fires. I haven't seen one since, they are probably all living down in Oracle eating trash and housecats now. I don't know about killing them I was always told it was bad luck. 36B has good numbers of them as well.

Bret M.

Lance I'm surprised you even want to go after them things since they have been bad luck in the past.

when i was a kid my dad caught one in a bear trap. i mean a real bear trap too. 30" jaws. talk about a mangled mess!

It's interesting what you said about the predation on turkeys. I wonder if they have had an effect on the reintroduction of the Goulds turkey. I regards to the northward spread, my taxidermist has said he saw one dead on I-17 between Camp Verde and Flagstaff. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I can tour southern AZ and get ambushed under the trees.

Doug/RedRabbit

nasunari.jpg

They usally travel in 'troops' of 5-10, but I have seen as many as 35 in one group.

Lance

We saw a group of 30+ in unit 32 in Aravipa (Turkey Creek)last month. They were moving very fast when the bullets started flying. They are just like racoons with long tails and noses. I think they make a striking trophy.

tom_kevin_coati_resize.jpg

Go tear them up. Ed, www.swhounds.com

I saw one on the shore of lake pleasant 15 years ago. A friend see's them in the Bradshaw mtn.s, also at Childs on the Verde river.

I ran in to a couple of those things on the lower gila a couple years ago and had no idea what they were. Im from back east and ive never even heard of them before. Ive been trying to figure out what they were for two years now. thanks for clearing it up. Mountaineer

My hunting partner saw one this morning in unit 33. I never saw it because of the big mesquite tree. But, I thought it was strange that we (he) only saw one.

My son and I were hunting javelina in 34B 5 years ago and came across 50, give or take, in a canyon south of Karchner Caverns.I believe the canyon is called Dutch Canyon.The group came down into a lower hillside above me and moved back up when they probably saw me. I hunted this area in the mid-70's when I lived in Tempe and returned here with my oldest son, Hunter who shot a pig with a pistol at 15 feet the first hour we were their.I hunted 3 more days without seeing a pig.Seeing the coaiti's was exciting since I only saw 3 the 4 years I lived in AZ.I now llive in WA. state.

I saw one about a month or so ago while mearns quail hunting just outside of Tucson, up in the Catalinas. The thing lrt me get within about 20 feet or so from it before it took off. Being new to AZ( moved from west TX) I would have me a nice coati trophy to put in the house! Several of my coworkers said that they have seen them down off of Ruby road south of Arivaca. Next season, I will definately have one bagged.

Hi - I'm a graduate student at the University of Arizona in Tucson. I'm working on my masters on Coatis ? especially their movement among mountain ranges. One thing we're doing is tracking their movement north using genetics. I was wondering if any one has a coati mount, skin, or meat that they might be willing to share for my study. All I would need would be a very small piece (1 cm x 1cm2) of tissue, and I would send you all the necessary shipping materials, including postage paid. I would also need to know where you shot the coati (what mountain range, the more specific the better). We?re going to be doing a lot of trapping, but we need all the samples we can get. Can anyone help? Thanks so much.

diehardhunter,
Yes they are here in NM. I live in Silver City and saw some just a few weeks ago in the Saddle Rock area. About 25 or so.
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

i have not shot one, but when i was quail hunting with Redrabbit, i was about half squeeze on before his dog ran in the sicht picture so i thought id stop!it was weird it was all by itself,and it was in the bottom of a wash by madera canyon area
Casey

I've seen them in 32, 36a,36b, and 36c. The males are darker, and travel alone, The females and young and travel in groups, and are more red in appearance. Everytime I've seen them they were moving along, like they were on a mission. I killed one in the Grahams one time. I gave away the pelt and wish I'd kept it. I think you'd have to be pretty lucky to go out specifically for one and get it. Good Luck!

I havent been there for a couple of years but hunted in 30A - Dos Cabezas for 4 or 5 years and we always saw them. Sometimes several packs in a day. I think there are a lot of them around there because of all the mine shafts. Just take the road toward the mountain from the town of Dos Cabezas. Park below the locked gate and start hiking. It is okay to hike up the road. Foot traffic is okay. Lots of luck. You might even see a bear or a lion. CB

is u of a so hard up for students that they have a degree in coati mundi? can ya get a degree in javelina or skunk or anything else smelly? from my trappin' experiences as a kid, i could probly teach skunk.

RLH,
Just because you smell like a skunk and you have white hair does not mean you could teach anyone anything about them. Bwaahahahaha!!!

Bret M.

just cuz you look like a coati mundi and lost in a card game with a javelina don't mean you ain't igernut neither. i was world champeen skunk trapper when i was a kid. only time i smelt like a skunk was after gettin' blasted. it's a peril of the trade.

everytime we run dogs for lion, the dogs end up catching a few of them. They can sure tear up a dog in no time. We have a guy coming in from NY for a guided coati hunt in a month. I cant imagine anyone paying money to shoot one of those, BUT you never know. 33 has a ton of them!!!!!!!

Lance
Do you do guided coati hunts, if so I am very interested, I called 2 in and missed the shot and have not been able to find any since

I know it's a old thread but that doesn't mean he is dead, I was alive then and I am guessing you were to so why would you think several are dead? I don't think many 70+ year old people are posting and even if they did they would be 88. It's not a post from 30+ years ago. Plus others read it that might know someone who guides for coati.

you are right about that but I must warn you......I haven't seen any of those names pop up as posters in a looong time

I was hunting Couses deer (Circa 1990) and saw a troop. It was before I knew a thing about them and had to research what I'd seen when I got back home to Utah.
My best description to my local friends was "monkey-ferret" since I had no idea what I'd seen. Few believed me! haha

Zeke

PS. Yes, 2005 is quite a long time ago:ROFLMAO:

I was hunting Couses deer (Circa 1990) and saw a troop. It was before I knew a thing about them and had to research what I'd seen when I got back home to Utah.
My best description to my local friends was "monkey-ferret" since I had no idea what I'd seen. Few believed me! haha

Zeke

PS. Yes, 2005 is quite a long time ago:ROFLMAO:
Same here Zeke.....I was south of Arivaca close to the border glassing when a troop of those monkeys showed up in my glass....real head scratcher at the time....36b about 2000

Would people call these ring tail cats sometimes? The reason I ask is I seen a picture on the wickenburg bulletin board that looked similar and that's what they referred to it as.

Would people call these ring tail cats sometimes? The reason I ask is I seen a picture on the wickenburg bulletin board that looked similar and that's what they referred to it as.
Ringtails are different. https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...na-royalty-free-image/520103204?adppopup=true

coati:

Same here Zeke.....I was south of Arivaca close to the border glassing when a troop of those monkeys showed up in my glass....real head scratcher at the time....36b about 2000
One year during the Dec. deer hunt in that unit south of Ruby, my oldest son & I were walking bewteen low ridges & stepped right into about 50-60 of them. They were all around us -- on the ground & even in the trees. I've seen them there several times, but that was the biggest bunch ever.

I always wanted to shoot one & have it mounted, but every time I see them, it's early in the day when a shot would disturb my deer hunt.

BTW, 36B is my fav unit for Coues deer. All my bucks except one from the Chiricahuas & one from Mex. came out of that unit.

I guess I'll keep this post going even though it is old.
What RLH said in post #4 except the turkey are back. I occasionally see them where I hunt in 31 (Mt. Graham~Pinalenos) but I get a fair amount of my cameras. I've seen them in small groups, by themselves and in really large groups. The best time was when I was with my daughter and we snuck up on a big group in a apple orchard. I'll bet there was a 100+ in the trees and on the ground eating apples.
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom