Coconino NF closure

AZ8

Heads up: Coconino to shut down on Wednesday 8am. Expect the others to follow suit.

176403A8-5DDD-4492-B720-3319DD5F1A37.png

Last edited:
I think Arizona is on the brink with resources spread thin throughout the state.

Although most of these fires now were caused by lightning from this past week, Im glad they're shutting down the forests eliminating human caused.

Smoke here in Flagstaff is thick as pea soup with ash on my vehicle windshields.

Wednesday is calling for rain. Let's hope it's not the dry lightning we had last week.

Dang it! Kaibab NF is also shutting down on June 23 - there goes my July 4th camping/scouting trip on North Kaibab; but I'm glad that human/vehicle (i.e. UTV/ATV) disturbance will be shut down. C'mon monsoon! Hopefully it will open up before archery opening in 59 days.

Could it be closed during unit 12 archery season? If so what would a hunter do, Hunt the BLM?
What about the early rifle, will it still be closed if there’s no rain by then?

Drawing a bead on Flagstaff area. I hope everyone there is ok. For those of us who live in risky areas, fire is a scary thing.
0159D4EE-8C29-483A-B86A-EFB20F431714.jpeg

Chevelon is blowing up too, right at the lake. My childhood stomping grounds...Hunted, hiked, fished and camped there for decades! That was even my patrol area when I was with the forest service. Great times with an engine crew back in the 80's!

It'll come back, but not in my lifetime.

Keep safe everyone. After being evacuated twice in the last few years due to California fires I don’t wish this on anyone.

309507-jsn2w9cyqg-3e82ad134bb85a11b98ac2c3cbd24a43.png
GAME AND FISH NEWS
June 22, 2021

Northern Arizona Shooting Range closed
until further notice
Northern_Arizona_Shooting_Range_-_RS.jpg

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona Shooting Range will be closed indefinitely due to fire danger, dry conditions and persistent wildfire activity that have forced a full closure of the Coconino National Forest.

The range, located about 20 miles east of Flagstaff, will cease operations beginning at 8 a.m. Wednesday, June 23. The range will reopen only when conditions improve.

The 160-acre range, which features rifle and pistol ranges, as well as stations for trap, skeet, sporting clays and five-stand, is owned by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission. The range is maintained and operated by the Northern Arizona Shooting Foundation.

For more shooting range information, visit www.northernarizonashootingrange.org, or www.azgfd.com/Shooting/Ranges/. For the latest updates about conditions in the Coconino National Forest, visit www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD924914.​

Found out this morning that the Coconino National Forest closure has been lifted as of 6:00 AM this morning (7/6/21). Still no open fires allowed!
I will be heading up this week to see how much water is around and range conditions. I drew an archery Bull Tag this year and I hope conditions are improving.

It's still dry. Can't speak for the entire region, but here in Flagstaff we've only had 2 rainstorms.... about 10 days apart. It's gonna take consistent storms to fill up most of the dried up tanks. Let's hope July gets going with the rain!

Kaibab NF also opened up today - will be headed there this weekend to do some scouting/camping. Still waiting for draw results - what's the buzz?

Kaibab NF also opened up today - will be headed there this weekend to do some scouting/camping. Still waiting for draw results - what's the buzz?
Again the AZGFD draw got a little screwed up with overcharges on the sheep tags and some messed up charges on JR tags. Did you have a CC charge?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom