Cold Feet

chasemike

I need some help. In Idaho last year, I got caught in the open on a ridge, last year, trying to hike to the top. I layed for two hours, on the ground. My feet were so dam cold. The deer, were there, so I did not move. But, maybe has to do with age 53. What is a good boot system & socks? Thanks Mike

I have the same problem. I use Smartwool socks. They are great at getting the moisture away from your feet and still keep them warm. For me that's not enough though. I buy foot or toe warmers and put them in once they get cold. They'll last about 6 hours. Good luck.

Silk or underamour sock then heavy wool works for me.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

If your feet are getting damp from your hike they are going to get cold after sitting for a while regardless the boots you are wearing. A light wicking sock under a quality boot sock will help. A trick an old friend taught me was, (don't laugh, this works) spray non-sented anti-persperant on your feet or use a non-sented roll on, let dry then put your socks on. Also, make sure you clean your feet at night before getting in your bag. Wet wipes work great for this. The salt from your sweat breaks your skin down and makes your feet more prone to blisters.
Good Hunting!

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

"The salt from your sweat breaks down your skin so they are more prone to blisters" Huh?

Please read a book called "FIXING YOUR FEET" by John Vonhof. He is the definative authority on blisters, remedies and foot problems in general.

Not enough information in the OP to make a suggestion. Could have been any number of things or a combination. Wrong boots, wrong socks, boots too tight, feet got wet, other parts of your body (like your head/face/neck/hands) were not adaquately protected and insulated. Could also be a medical problem causing poor circulation etc, etc.

What were the conditions and what were you wearing?

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Hardcore,
I am no expert but if the book suggests soaking your feet in salt water, I agree. Then rinse them and thoroughly dry them. However my experience leads me to believe perspiration salt and grime will contribute to blisters. Again, I definitely am not a definitive authority on the topic, just basing my advise on a little personal experience.

Norkal

Get the book. There is an account directly on point of a high milage hiker/racer that doesn't wash his feet at all during events because he believes that the sweat, salt and whatever else protects his feet from blisters.

Blisters are mostly about pressure, friction and water. I don't think salt has anything to do with it.

As far as anti-perspirants or powders or lubricants go, I don't use them but the book is full of very experienced people who do. Then again there are just as many that use different techniques or nothing at all. It is a very individual thing is what I have learned and it has a lot to do with what you are doing and how conditioned your feet are. Cody Lundin at the Aboriginal Living skills School in Prescott doesn't where shoes or socks at all, ever, so who knows.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Couldn't agree more. There is no substitute for conditioning and proper fitting footwear. People living in what we consider a primitive life style are much tougher than I.

Norkal

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-10 AT 11:49AM (MST)[p]This worked for me "back in the good ole days" ... Wool sock covered by a plastic bag then a second sock. When sitting for a long time keep wiggling toes. If doing a lot of walking first the wool helps with the sweat. This was really good when snowy. Didn't cost a dime.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom