Cold Hand Problems

smokingfire

Has anyone found a good layering system or a good pair of gloves/mittens that have kept your hands warm when sitting and glassing in freezing temperatures? I don't have the greatest circulation and can't seem to keep my hands warm when sitting and glassing in cold temps.

Try using a hand muff with some Hot Hands hand warmers. They are the ticket for those cool mornings and you don’t have to fool with thick gloves / mittens or trying to take one off to shoot. Several companies make the muffs, but FHF makes a nice one.
3EE2967C-FCDB-4225-AAB0-EC60D01D5A4C.png

Most of my hunting is eastern whitetails from tree stands. I'll put a hand warmer in my glove. Sometimes in the palm. Sometimes on the back of the hand. That seems to work pretty good for me. Some of my gloves have a thin trigger finger, and some I actually cut the very tip off.

My problem is cold feet in a tree stand - poor circulation after a couple of surgeries. And keeping hands warm while riding an ATV is a problem as well!

I’ve always found mittens to be warmer than gloves. I like the Army surplus wool ones with the trigger finger separate. If my first finger gets cold, I just move it out and join it with the others to warm it up.

All my horse riding buddies like wool gloves inside bigger over sized leather ones. Good elk hide ones are twice as thick leather, but still very soft and pliable.

First lite or Kuiu down mittens will solve your problem. Buy a little bigger size than needed and add lightweight wool liners for extreme cold temps. I own the kuiu down mittens and can honestly say my hands have never been cold while wearing them. They aren't built with heavy material so be careful, but for glassing/sitting they can't be beat.

When I worked in a freezer we wore wool liners under leather insulated mittens.

Google freezer wear companies, they supply the deep freeze workers.
Most is too hot if your moving, but stationary it’s great

Hand muff that belts around waist. A couple hand warmers and you are good. No gloves or light weight gloves. Pull hands out and ready to shot. Buy at Walmart's, sportsmens, Cabelas, ect.

I'm certainly no expert on hand muffs but I've never seen a version that you could use while glassing. As others have said, wool gloves inside windproof, water proof mittens. The most important thing I ever learned for keeping hands and feet warm is to wear a good insulating beanie on your head.

This is a problem for me. It doesn't have to be very cold for my hands to lose all strength. One time I went for a hike and it wasn't that cold. I got back to my Jeep and didn't have the strength to turn the key to start. Glad nobody was there but my dog and he couldn't stop laughing.

It's the main reason I like to hunt just the muzzleloader season here which is around the 2nd week in Sept. Temps are usually mild.

Cabela's has a thin pair of gloves with a rubber spiderweb on the palms, long wrist cover that goes under the jacket cuff. An Under Armor knock off. I wear those, and cover them with an insulated leather gloves/ mitten combo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom