Cold Weather Comfort

Blank

Long Time Member
Got up earlier than usual at 0430, to get my son off to the elk mountains. Our general season opener is this Oct. 15th. Figured since it never got above 35 degrees, and snow didn't melt it would be a good excuse to have biscuits and gravy, sausage patties, eggs and strong coffee!!!

93BB8D2B-E884-4E7E-9302-0944A143C54D_1_201_a.jpeg

6F20A20E-9F6A-47FF-8D40-72EA89E56AEF_1_201_a.jpeg

Looks great Blank. When you get a few minutes would you mind sharing your gravy making process.
I love sausage gravy but every time I try it, it tastes like flour mixed with a couple spoonfuls of finely sifted dirt, added for flavor.

If I use this stuff it tastes great but it ticks me off that I can’t make it taste decent with regular flour and milk.

FD30D99E-BE1F-4D88-AD81-CDFF9A66E1C1.jpeg

If you can taste the flour, you haven't cooked it enough. Basically, you just mixed 2 tbsp of flour in melted butter, instead of making an actual roux. It's important to use medium heat (be careful not to burn the butter), whisk constantly, and get it cooked. I have a couple really small whisks that are perfect for sauces and gravies. I drink skim milk, and you can't cook with that, so I use the wife's 2% or sometimes half and half fo bettter flavor

Thank you.

“whisk constantly, and get it cooked”

How long would you estimate it takes to get the butter and flour cooked sufficiently.

Foe white, or country gravy - just 2-3 minutes. When I do gumbo, ettouffee, or other dark brown rouxs, they might be 6-7 minutes to brown

That's why you make it in the pan after frying your sausage. White country gravy would be gross on breakfast, if it tasted like chicken or beef. Now on chicken fried anything, that would be different!!!

I quit. I’m a total failure, in spite of having the best instructor on the Forum. And OWD, I promise, if I’d have add chicken or beef broth, it would not have improve a single thing.

It still tasted like dirt. It wasn’t fit for human consumption.

I’ll just have to admit, I’m not a brain surgeon.

1C9A61BA-656F-4DFF-9909-D8EF250A190F.jpeg

0E089DF8-4442-4C8D-9B52-D5C825F5779A.jpeg

I quit. I’m a total failure, in spite of having the best instructor on the Forum. And OWD, I promise, if I’d have add chicken or beef broth, it would not have improve a single thing.

It still tasted like dirt. It wasn’t fit for human consumption.

I’ll just have to admit, I’m not a brain surgeon.

View attachment 55244

View attachment 55245
0/10. That looks like something my dog puked up

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom