Cold weather sleeping bag.

fatrooster

Long Time Member
Having trouble finding a quality -20 degree sleeping bag. Preferrebly down insulation but I'm open to other ideas. Bag will be for a 6'2" man that weighs 270 lbs. This will be used for backpacking up to several days at a time. Needs to be lightweight and needs to be able to squeeze down to a packable size. Thankyou, fatrooster.

Got 1 at Cabela’s -40 big man bag
Been my best friend at night in the mountains for 20 years never been cold night, when hot hands came out I start throwing 1or 2 in the bag makes a difference Bag not cheap around 400 buck I use it about 60 days a year the fibers has not crushed
Cabela’s sold to bass pro They don’t have the good stuff anymore t

Having trouble finding a quality -20 degree sleeping bag. Preferrebly down insulation but I'm open to other ideas. Bag will be for a 6'2" man that weighs 270 lbs. This will be used for backpacking up to several days at a time. Needs to be lightweight and needs to be able to squeeze down to a packable size. Thankyou, fatrooster.
I vaguely remember selling you a Western Mountaineering bag several years back, but I could be completely mixed up. Either way, I’m sure they would have something that fits the bill, but certainly not budget friendly.

Wow, backpacking when -20 would be a bit spooky? Western Mountaineering would be tough to beat for down. If you are looking for "quality" you will likely pay a premium price.

Hot Hands is almost a must in that cold of weather. They will come in handy for sure.
we would call it a 2 dog night.

Hunt30, that was an eberlestock bag you sold me and its still part of my arsenal and does a good job sir. I have family coming from Florida to hunt Nevada and although we will be hunting in temperatures around 5 to 10 degrees at night and do not really need a negative 20 degree bag what I really need is a bag that works at its ratings. So in other words, a 0 degree bag does not really mean its good for 0 degrees. Unless you spend $800.00 a bag you really don't know what you are getting. I went with the Kifaru slick bag which is a company I've had good luck with.
Thanks to all of you for the replies. You gave some good options. Fatrascal

I agree with littlebull. I went on a quest to find a cold weather bag because I was miserable at night in the bag I had. It was rated for 0 and I was cold at 40. I called Wiggys and ordered a -40. WOW. I really can’t use it at all, it is way way to hot at anywhere near 0 to 20. Ive sleep in it three times and put it away.

I’ve never used it at -40 so I can’t speak to its effectiveness at its rated temp but that sucker is impossible hot at normal winter weather in Central Utah.

It’s not very backpackable but I’d sell that thing for a third of what I paid for it, it’s worthless to me.

I sold my Wiggys last year to a guy who was planning on sleeping in a van in one of the ski areas with no heat. He had researched the bag and knew what he was getting into. I had owned the ag for about 25 years and drug it all over Alaska, BC & Alberta. It was still like new.

Last edited:
Plus Again For Mr. Wiggy
Best sleeping bags you can get.
I have trusted my life to those bags.
I have slept in weather so cold you were scared to go to sleep.
It will handle -30,I know for sure.
But on a seriously cold day you may not crawl out until noon.?
I have several friends who live in Alaska and they have all used them for many years.
I would not say used them.
More like lived in them.

Last edited:
Big Agnes makes some Great bags I bought a -20 Elk Park a few years back it is under 5# . I always roll up a fleece blanket & pack incase it's gonna be colder than -20 & also doubles as a pillow. Make sure that you get a good quality pad to go with the bag. I noticed on my BA the -20 rating is only achieved with a pad

Check out North Face Tundra -20F poly bag very warm.

+++ for Wiggys
They have a awesome sale rt now and you can’t beat there lifetime warranty ?
Their “lifetime warranty“ is subject to the mood the owner, Jerry Wigetow, is in. Ask me how I know, this was in person , face to face with Jerry the Jerk.

I learn something new every day on MM.
For sure, I just learned why that bratty little 3rd grader, cover at the Elementary, came wheeling around the corner and smacked into me, stepped back, looked up and said, “what’s up………. dawg?”

I think Stink meant the only sleeping bag made in Grand Junction, at least since Marmot Left. I’ve got a Wiggys and I’ll never get another one, cold spots with no insulation and Jerry the Jerk doesn’t stand behind his products . My Western Mountaineering bag is many times better.

Again Mr. Wiggy isn’t a friend of mine but……just cuz he’s a knothead doesn’t make him wrong, on everything. Apparently he has had some major contracts with the military in Alaska. If true, it’s might be worth considering what he claims.

Without regard to cost, when it comes to wet and cold…… a dry bag, filled with an appropriate amount of down, nothing is better, especially when you do the warmth to weigh ratio. In other words, it’s the best solution for back packing because it’s light weight and warm, as long as you can keep it dry.

Synthetic is much the opposite……..heavy and warm, with the added benefit that, according to Wiggy, you can still survive if your synthetic bag is wet or even damp. I’ve never slept in a wet bag but they say down bags are basically worthless once they get wet.

That was the reason I bought the Wiggy bag. Especially since I’m no longer willing or able to back pack a bag into camp so the weight was never going to be a problem.

For what that may or may not be worth.

I have a Wiggy.
I’ve crawled in wet more than once and dried out over night.
Slept in -30-40 and been fine.

Beanman got a bad deal from Jerry many many years ago.
I get it, but what was that 20 years ago?
Gotta get over it.

wiggys bags are overrated and overpriced. The last thing I would want to buy is something that the military uses gear wise. Those contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder. I’ve never heard of them being military issued, it is possible.

They are heavy and bulky. If money isn’t an option go with a western mountaineering bag or a feathered friends. If you’re on a budget look at the marmot bags, REI bags, north face, etc.

I have a Wiggy.
I’ve crawled in wet more than once and dried out over night.
Slept in -30-40 and been fine.

Beanman got a bad deal from Jerry many many years ago.
I get it, but what was that 20 years ago?
Gotta get over it.
It was at least 20 years ago. Thing is, there are so many good choices out there that a person need not put up with a notorious liar. I’d go with a Kifaru bag if I had to have a continuous filament synthetic bag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom