Colo Antelope 81

Servehim

Very Active Member
Hey guys, the Colo MM forum has much to be desired with their participation. Any NM guys have words of wisdom on 81. I drew with 14 NR pts and have maps in hand and potential starting points but know very little. I will be reaching out to Prime Beef as he has already helped me. Thx Jim

LAST EDITED ON May-30-15 AT 09:02PM (MST)[p]Never hunted antelope in 81, but, there was a decent Mexican restaurant in Monte Vista about 4 years ago. Dos Rios. Guacamole Enchiladas. So good I had them 2 nights in a row. That wasnt a good idea.

Always good idea to line up a good place to eat when your hunting an new area.

Dang, 14 points for a antelope tag in CO??

Mexican food is high on my priority list...Thx. Yep it takes 14 to drew that. Just want to get as many quality hunts as my points provide then Get Out of the points chase in Colo. focus on my home state of NM

Years ago I did an OTC elk hunt in 81, so forgive my lack of memory. I once saw a pretty nice heard out there. If I remember right it was off of FR 103 heading from HWY 17 towards Osier. If you do not know where to catch FR 103, its over by Fox Creek. Like I said, that was a few years back and one time.

>Mexican food is high on my
>priority list...Thx. Yep
>it takes 14 to drew
>that. Just want to
>get as many quality hunts
>as my points provide then
>Get Out of the points
>chase in Colo. focus
>on my home state of
>NM

I hear you Jim. I probably will stay in CO for the deer, but, sure like to get out of some of the other states.

Hey Paul, yep cost a bundle to stay in the point game in 6 states as I have...however lightning can strike as my brother drew a tremendous Muzzy elk tag in northern Nev. can't wait to be his official meat packer. I might hold off in AZ as the schedule getting pretty packed and im married to a Red Head...lol

>LAST EDITED ON May-30-15
>AT 09:02?PM (MST)

>
>
>Dang, 14 points for a antelope
>tag in CO??

Yeah, ridiculous, isn't it? I couldn't draw a hunt with 15 that only took 9 five years ago.

Should have put in for Jim's hunt ;-). I might do that next year.

>Hey Paul, yep cost a bundle
>to stay in the point
>game in 6 states as
>I have...however lightning can strike
>as my brother drew a
>tremendous Muzzy elk tag in
>northern Nev. can't wait to
>be his official meat packer.
>I might hold off in
>AZ as the schedule getting
>pretty packed and im married
>to a Red Head...lol

At least CO does not cost as much as AZ and NV to build points in. People complain about NM, but, those two cost big $ every year to stay in the game.

Jim,

I grew up in Alamosa and used to see pronghorn frequently in the La Jara Reservoir/Hot Creek area. I left the San Luis Valley about 15 years ago, so I don't know how things are now, but that area worth a look.

Calvillos in Alamosa for Mexican.

>
>Jim,
>
>I grew up in Alamosa and
>used to see pronghorn frequently
>in the La Jara Reservoir/Hot
>Creek area. I left
>the San Luis Valley about
>15 years ago, so I
>don't know how things are
>now, but that area worth
>a look.
>
>Calvillos in Alamosa for Mexican.

I think someone needs to start a thread about best Mexican food/places to eat in NM.

Jim,

I live here in La Jara, I currently have 12 points so I should hopefully draw next year. Let me know if you need any help.

Aside from lots of points and good mex. food is the ant. hunt any good,for me a good ant. hunt does not matter how many pts. it takes as long as I have enough when ready to go.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-15 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p]SH, I drew the NM side MZ tag again, so will be throwing quite a few vueltas in that country over the next couple months...go thru 81 quite a bit by way of course

Hit me up if you need any current beta for the CO side

Laters,

Adam

edit**---and Dos Rios is more NEW Mexican like here, Calvillos more old country...both are pretty good, but I prefer Rios for the food and location

Overwhelmed by the NM MM team. Thanks to all. Responded with PM . 2 great Mexican food recommendations and I guess my next question would be ....which one is hotter and is closer to Sadies???

Damn Adam you got that tag two years in a row!! Congrats. I have been trying for that tag for 30 + yrs and have NEVER DRAWN... Very big goats in there as I'm sure you know. GL
Jack

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-15 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]>Damn Adam you got that tag
>two years in a row!!
>Congrats. I have been trying
>for that tag for 30
>+ yrs and have NEVER
>DRAWN... Very big goats in
>there as I'm sure you
>know. GL
>Jack

Two years in a row? That's really nice, but it shows you one of the problems with the way NM issues their goat permits. For one thing, only 17% go to residents, which is pathetic. Considering how hard it is to draw (for most of us), they should also make it so you have to wait (10 years?) before drawing again.

Yep, NM with its sweetheart deal to landowners is pathetic . I haven't drawn a goat tag here in 20+ yrs. My son drew a youth hunt 3yrs ago but that it. I'm on board with your frustration level Prime. Thanks again for the starting point for my Colo 81 research .

Oh golly, here we go...PM responded SH, you're welcome to get in touch anytime. But I'm gonna stay out of the "its not fair!" direction the topic has taken, so please excuse me. We've all had our share of hard luck draw stories I'm sure, but I don't think this topic is really the place to vent about it.

Anyway, congrats on the tag Jim, youre gonna have a great hunt!

Cheers,

Adam

Come on guys... its NM... No Points... Just the way it is and I for one like it this way. If you draw you hunt ! The point game in other states sucks also! Allways one more point needed.
Jack

>Oh golly, here we go...PM responded
>SH, you're welcome to get
>in touch anytime. But I'm
>gonna stay out of the
>"its not fair!" direction the
>topic has taken, so please
>excuse me. We've all had
>our share of hard luck
>draw stories I'm sure, but
>I don't think this topic
>is really the place to
>vent about it.
>

No, it isn't fair. Not by a longshot. Name another Western state that issues the majority of their antelope tags to non-residents.

NM recently changed their bighorn and elk draws to be more favorable to residents; the antelope situation needs to be changed, too.

And this IS, after all, an open forum. Venting is allowed (up to a point).

Probably not the forum / format to whine ( I started it seeking NM guys to help in Colo). LOL. I for 1 don't want to see a points system in NM , the concern is the perceived special perks LO get on Antelope tags.. Still all ears on 81 in Colorado but am blown away and feel so blessed to guys I've never met willing to help me on this tag. WOW

Couldn't agree more Jack, our great state is one of the last "luck of the draw" holdouts, where lightning can strike anyone, anytime. Much preferred to the pyramid scheme of diminishing to nonexistent returns points systems invariably become.

BTW---cute PM Prime, thanks for the chuckle :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom