Colorado 22pts unit 66 4th season?

Kwelp45

Does anyone know if they increased tag numbers for CO 66 4th season? I applied for that hunt with 22pts and It appears to be a bit of a gamble with "only" 22 points! It appears they have been increasing the tags for that hunt the last couple years. I figured with possibly less applicants from the covid-19 uncertainty and with a increase in tag numbers I might have a chance. With the season dates changing like they will in the future I figured it was a good time to try to cash in the points. I have been researching the CO units and there certainly are a lot of mixed reviews on all the units including 66. It looks like 67 4th was more realistic with 22pts but from harvest numbers 66 seems more reliable. I've never hunted 66 so it will be an adventure if I get lucky and draw.

Last edited:
I think you probably did the best you could do by applying for 66 4th season non-resident.
Who knows if they will increase the tag numbers. They might. With five non-resident tags available and all things stay the same you should draw. However by looking at the 2019 stats there will be over 200 non res applicants statewide with 22 or more points going into the 2020 draw.
That’s not counting the people that have been buying bonus points only. I couldn’t find that statistic.
I expect there will be a lot of people wanting to cash out their points this year but as long as nobody new decides to jump on 66 4th this year you should be in good shape.
That is a big “IF” though!

I was in the same boat with 22 NR points.

Who knows what’s going to happen with application numbers/hunting this year in light of the current pandemic. Colorado‘s deadline this year came at a time of great uncertainty as to how things were going to play out. I‘m thinking the applicants trying to take advantage of the later season dates this year might have been offset by those freaked out enough not to apply so maybe a wash?

With Gunnison closing their county to locals only right before the app deadline I was also nervous to apply for a tag. Figured I could always eat the tag fee to have my points reinstated but was worried about not gaining a preference point for this year. That would be quite a setback.

With the later season dates this year, I ended up taking a flyer and applied for 44 3rd season. If Eagle County follows suit and also closes their County to all but locals hopefully it will be reopened by the time the season rolls around if I am lucky enough to draw the tag.

Good luck Kwelp45 and the rest of you guys/gals in this year’s draw!

Horniac

^^^^^
Yeah I saw that. I know I had a buddy (new hunter) apply for CO for the first time so he is one of those added applicants. No point fees for deer, elk, antelope and a NR cost of $82.78 for the small game license, $10.23 for the stamp, and the $9/species app fee still makes it fairly reasonable for a NR to apply. For a NR youth under 18, the license is only $1.26 plus the $9/species to apply (no stamp required). Super cheap!

With that being said, an increase in applications would assume that these are new applicants with no points entering the draw for the first time? Assuming last years applicants just applied for preference points/tags there would be no increase in applications. I guess we will have to wait for the draw reports to see how many applicants actually applied for a tag vs just preference points and the number of added residents vs nonresidents...

Horniac

Yes, I agree. I think many are new applicants. I put my daughter in for the first time this year. The unit I want takes 2 points, so if they put in last year (for points), and this year, they have a chance at it next year with 2 points although that would probably drive it to 3 points (I'll have 4).

Lots of things to consider that is for sure with lot of "Ifs" involved. I guess its just a waiting game now. Time will tell... Good Luck to all!

Based on my research 66th 4th has taken a minimum of 23 points for NR the last two years after it jumped from a minimum of 19 points required in 2016 and 2017. Who knows what it will require this year with the later seasons coupled with the outbreak of the corona virus.

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Well..... I don't know much, But I know for a fact that 22 preference was not enough to get a tag for Colorado unit 66 4th season Mule Deer. Maybe next year! Good Luck to all that have drawn! Post pics please.

Well..... I don't know much, But I know for a fact that 22 preference was not enough to get a tag for Colorado unit 66 4th season Mule Deer. Maybe next year! Good Luck to all that have drawn! Post pics please.
Fourth season tag numbers dropped from 20 to 15 in 66 this year.

Applications across the West increased this year.

I too hoped to cash in but I think with many staying home, life didn't get so busy they forgot to apply.

I put in for a hunt that had a 40% chance of drawing last year with 10 points. I had 11 and was unsuccessful.

But I have a plan next year.

Inthrut, the CPW posted the post draw report. 4th season unit 66, 4 tags available for NR. (1) 27 point drew, (2) 25 point drew, and 1 of 4 applicants with 24 points drew. Crazy.
Sorry.
I was fortunate to draw one of the nine resident tags with 21 points. PM me after the season and I'll let you know how my hunt went.

I did not draw a 67 4th season with 22 NR points. Pretty bummed. Point creep was significant on those 4th season deer. They decreased tags from 20 to 15 in 67 I believe.

Inthrut, the CPW posted the post draw report. 4th season unit 66, 4 tags available for NR. (1) 27 point drew, (2) 25 point drew, and 1 of 4 applicants with 24 points drew. Crazy.
Sorry.
I was fortunate to draw one of the nine resident tags with 21 points. PM me after the season and I'll let you know how my hunt went.
Crazy how this worked out. Might have to change things up next year... Good luck

The old move the dates back but reduce the number of tags trick.....
At 23 points it will be an interesting application process next year. It will be even more difficult to predict what will be needed to draw as they move the dates back further and manipulate tag numbers. Good luck to all of those who drew tags.

20200615_142252.jpg

Congratulations on the Draw MG209. Please post an update of your hunt and post some pics after your hunt if you have the time.

Does anyone know if they increased tag numbers for CO 66 4th season? I applied for that hunt with 22pts and It appears to be a bit of a gamble with "only" 22 points! It appears they have been increasing the tags for that hunt the last couple years. I figured with possibly less applicants from the covid-19 uncertainty and with a increase in tag numbers I might have a chance. With the season dates changing like they will in the future I figured it was a good time to try to cash in the points. I have been researching the CO units and there certainly are a lot of mixed reviews on all the units including 66. It looks like 67 4th was more realistic with 22pts but from harvest numbers 66 seems more reliable. I've never hunted 66 so it will be an adventure if I get lucky and draw.
Not the 180” meca of years past lots of bucks but few break 170” near blue Mesa reservoir. Look elsewhere for trophy B&C class

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom