Colorado 44 4th

jwooley7mm

After many years of saving points, I ended up cashing them in on Colorado 44 4th deer. Hoping for some snow, I know this unit has the potential but is highly dependent on some weather. Hoping to talk with some who have had this tag, and would share their experience. Thanks..

Look at the archives from last November. Adventurewriter did a very nice job recapping his experience. I'm sure if you pm him, he will also have some pointers.

Congrats on the tag man!

I can't comment on hunting 44 as I have only been in the unit a few times and never with a tag in my pocket. I have been apart of a few high point hunts though and the one word of advice I can give you is to be patient and have fun! So many of those guys that burn 20+ points on elk or deer get way to stressed out and end up killing early just so they don't go home empty handed. Me personally I would hunt as long as possible with that tag in my pocket and let it rip on something that got me really excited or nothing at all!

Shoot there are a ton of 0 and 1 point units you can find "good" bucks in over the next few years!

>Congrats on the tag man!
>
>I can't comment on hunting 44
>as I have only been
>in the unit a few
>times and never with a
>tag in my pocket. I
>have been apart of a
>few high point hunts though
>and the one word of
>advice I can give you
>is to be patient and
>have fun! So many of
>those guys that burn 20+
>points on elk or deer
>get way to stressed out
>and end up killing early
>just so they don't go
>home empty handed. Me
>personally I would hunt as
>long as possible with that
>tag in my pocket and
>let it rip on something
>that got me really excited
>or nothing at all!
>
>Shoot there are a ton of
>0 and 1 point units
>you can find "good" bucks
>in over the next few
>years!

Good advice.

5 days actually isn't a whole lot of time to dink around! It will pass by fast. If it were me I'd be up there early scouting to give you more days to look things over and possibly find a few bucks. 44 is totally weather dependent so pray for deep snow and cold temps to get the bucks down and a little more active. 44 can get gumbo mud so have 4 sets of chains and/or an ATV to get around. It can often be feast or famine during the late hunts in 44. Be prepared for a tough hunt if the weather is warm, full moon, crunchy snow, etc. If it's one of those 1 in 10-15 years with decent snow it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks to all you guys that replied and gave advice, I'm heading over there this weekend to do a little scouting of the country, and get away from this HEAT!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom