Colorado 54 muzz Deer

one_dryboot

Long Time Member
I'll be hunting 54 muzzleloader this September. I know this unit took a big hit a few winters back and has been slow to recover.
My question is... what can I expect for quality? Has it bounced back some with the last few mild years, winters we've had??
I'm not going into this hunt expecting to see 20-30 bucks a day like some units, but I am hopeful there are decent bucks in the high country and with some hard work and luck, I'll find a few to chase. It's awesome country and can't wait to make a few scouting trips in the next month.

Thanks.

I heard there are 30"ers every where!

And a few 40"ers!

Gonna be Warm!

And Loin Cloths are a Must!

No Pics though!

Just of your Buck!

Good Luck boot!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

We helped two buddies on an elk hunt 2 years ago in 54 during 2nd season. Three of us had a 67 deer tags and once we had killed our bucks there, we crossed the road into 54 to help them. Obviously we weren't focused on deer so we hunted quite a bit higher. I only saw a handful of deer. Most of which were respectable 4x4's. We did glass a VERY nice buck one evening about dusk. Comparing to the biggest rack I have at 26" wide, this buck would have easily pushed 31-33" wide and very heavy. Five of us looked at it before we could definitively say that it was a big buck and not a small bull. This was up high towards West Elk Wilderness. We are planning on hunting it next year and focusing on some of the draws that run down to Hwy. 50. The majority of the deer we saw were low and usually in the aspens. There was about 18-24" of snow up high which, I believe, pushed the bucks down early that year.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-15 AT 12:07PM (MST)[p]

Thanks for the info, jgriffin, maybe I'll turn that big boy up as I'll be in the West Elk high country.

Elkassassin, I've heard there are 30 and 40 inchers behind most trees, that's why I'm passing looking for a true monster. :)

And I will refrain from any loin cloth pics this time. ;)

Don't get too caught up in hunting "up high" in the wilderness. Not saying there isn't any deer up high but when I was in that unit last year I saw deer from the river bottoms on up, with some of the bigger ones low.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom