Colorado application process

I'm just venting a little but thanks for your offer. Always nice when someone offers help up front.

Process just seems a bit disjointed. Create an account. Buy the license and habitat stamp. Come back to put in applications. Refer to the guide book to find complicated hunt codes. Retype your hunters ed for each application. Etc.

I am very excited to hunt a mule deer this year. Have been saving points for 8 years so hopefully a fun hunt.

HMM, That is strange, their system has my hunter ED on file and never asks me for it again. Yes you need to have your hunt codes written down ahead of time helps.
I think if you start with the hunt codes first, it will prompt you to buy the required small game license before letting you check out and will automatically had the habitat stamp.

The one that always hangs me up is "select fulfillment method" I always forget to check the "mail to me" box.

Very difficult and time consuming process.
Made me Re-enter my hunter id. Even though if was on file.
Wouldn't let me enter any hunt codes until I bought small game license. Had to figure that out because there was no prompt.
And yes it was confusing and greatly increases errors to switch back and from regs. to application for hunt codes.
Difficult and confusing process.
But Colorado has never been user friend.
If you want to hunt Colorado you have use their process.

I've applied several times and don't remember it being that difficult.

Although the CO hunt codes may be complex, at least you can decipher them when looking at draw reports. Not like Arizona. The hunt codes change from year to year, and to decipher them, you gotta have the application booklet.

But hey, if we wanna play, we gotta play by each state's rules!

Good luck!

The issue is the small game license....it does not prompt you or allow you to add it on after applying for Big Game...you just need to know to do it first. That is how it was a few weeks ago...simple fix.

You don't have to buy anything ahead of time. Just have to have the small game in your cart. I did it all in one process. Put the small game and habitat stamp in the cart, then added my applications. Paid one time. Took 10 min.

It all boils down to taking the time to read the instructions. No, it doesn't prompt you to buy the license, but there is info everywhere (here, Big Game book, and on the website) that tells you about it.

The reason it doesn't prompt you to buy the small game license is that there is more than one choice for a qualifying license.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Might consider calling them on the contact number posted on the proclamation and talk to a ?live? representative. As stated above, have all your hunt codes and other pertinent information before calling. Fast and hassle free!

I agree, it is a pain in the butt compared to most states. I had to put in hunter ed number repeatedly for me and my son. Once it is in the system it should be there.

500 dollars for non resident deer now with license and habitat stamp. Getting too expensive for many.

I could be wrong since this is a new system, but I think you may have to put in your hunter safety card next year too.

The only way it stopped for me is I went by a DOW office and got them to verify the card. Never have to enter it again or even carry it with me ever again. You will have to have it along with your license in the field unless you get it verified in person

txhunter58

First, call CPW and get hunter ed # verified. That way you don't have to re enter every time.

Second, qualifying licenses are BS. Basically you are still buying a point or paying a fee in order to apply. It makes the bottom line look good and that way CPW can say hunter and fisherman participation is growing by making you buy a license you may never use.Had a youth hunter buy a small game and it still would not let them apply for big game.Had to buy a Turkey license and then it worked. Had a 78 year old man that has a lifetime fishing license and he had to buy a small game that he will never use in order for him to apply for his doe tag.For me and my Kids there were 11 less license apps sent in this year.Good for some but be careful when they say hunter participation is higher as it is skewed.

It was absolutely the worst process I've ever seen! Not sure it could have been anymore inconvenient or difficult. Had to make separate transactions for everyone i put in. It was so dumb.

"Had to make separate transactions for everyone i put in"

Huh? There is a state you apply to that allows you to apply for multiple people in a single transaction?

I applied for myself for 3 animals and because I knew about having to buy the "qualifying" license, it took me less than 10 minutes. And that includes triple checking everything before I hit submit because I don't want to make a mistake!

There is just a learning curve, which we now know. Next year it should be easier...?????.unless they change it again!!! LOL

txhunter58

I thought it was quite easy, may be every state should make the application process hard so we can see who is going to read proclamations and really put the effort in on studying draw odds.

>Took me 15 minutes to apply
>for 7 species at 9am
>April 2nd.
>
>
>#livelikezac

Yep. About the same for me but only 5 critters.

No Colorado system is terrible. The fact that so many had issues and some got through easy others had lots of difficulty tells you that the system really is complicated and inconsistent.

I personally didn't have issues but there were a few things that were definitely not self explanatory like you would have thought.

I had two buddies apply on a group app. Both had issues with the ?hour glass? not processing. So they realized that you had to click this box or something to get through to the next phase. It's little things like that that just are not necessary.

I too registered my Hunter Ed at a CDOW office which seems to have made the process more simple.

Agree Broomer. In the interest of saving some headache for someone next spring, this is what I did that may have been different from somebody that struggled with the process. I had already purchased a qualifying license a couple weeks earlier, 2 actually, a combo license and a spring Turkey license. I went to CP&W years ago and had my hunter ed card verified. I already had my account set up on the CP&W website from applying in years past. I had all my hunt codes for all 7 species written down on paper prior to logging into my account. I'm sure it was probably a struggle to get thru for a first timer but having gone thru it for several years now, and reading the reg book when it became available, especially the what's new section prior to applying, I personally didnt find it difficult to get thru. Now if I just knew the secret to pulling a tag for one of the big three.....

#livelikezac

>Agree Broomer. In the interest of
>saving some headache for someone
>next spring, this is what
>I did that may have
>been different from somebody that
>struggled with the process. I
>had already purchased a qualifying
>license a couple weeks earlier,
>2 actually, a combo license
>and a spring Turkey license.
>I went to CP&W years
>ago and had my hunter
>ed card verified. I already
>had my account set up
>on the CP&W website from
>applying in years past. I
>had all my hunt codes
>for all 7 species written
>down on paper prior to
>logging into my account. I'm
>sure it was probably a
>struggle to get thru for
>a first timer but having
>gone thru it for several
>years now, and reading the
>reg book when it became
>available, especially the what's new
>section prior to applying, I
>personally didnt find it difficult
>to get thru. Now if
>I just knew the secret
>to pulling a tag for
>one of the big three.....
>
>
>
>
>#livelikezac

If a person as to do all this.
Than the application process is VERY difficult.
I don't have to do ANY of these things in ANY of the other western states.

>"Had to make separate transactions for
>everyone i put in"
>
>Huh? There is a state
>you apply to that allows
>you to apply for multiple
>people in a single transaction?
>
>

Utah lets you add as many different people and applications as you want. Then you pay one time.

I did not know about verifying your hunter ed card, I going to get that done as it is a pain having to pull the card out all the time.

Jake H.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-19 AT 06:39AM (MST)[p]>>Agree Broomer. In the interest of
>>saving some headache for someone
>>next spring, this is what
>>I did that may have
>>been different from somebody that
>>struggled with the process. I
>>had already purchased a qualifying
>>license a couple weeks earlier,
>>2 actually, a combo license
>>and a spring Turkey license.
>>I went to CP&W years
>>ago and had my hunter
>>ed card verified. I already
>>had my account set up
>>on the CP&W website from
>>applying in years past. I
>>had all my hunt codes
>>for all 7 species written
>>down on paper prior to
>>logging into my account. I'm
>>sure it was probably a
>>struggle to get thru for
>>a first timer but having
>>gone thru it for several
>>years now, and reading the
>>reg book when it became
>>available, especially the what's new
>>section prior to applying, I
>>personally didnt find it difficult
>>to get thru. Now if
>>I just knew the secret
>>to pulling a tag for
>>one of the big three.....
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>#livelikezac
>
>If a person as to do
>all this.
>Than the application process is VERY
>difficult.
>I don't have to do ANY
>of these things in ANY
>of the other western states.
>

Lol! Most of these things I've done progressively over the years. Couldn't tell you how many years ago I had my hunter ed card verified, at least 10, maybe 20? Might have been 5yrs ago now that they required us to have an account on their site. I've read hundreds of people say all western states require a qualifying license and Colorado has finally caught up to them in that regard. The reg book came out a couple months prior to apps being due so reading it and deciding which units I would apply for was done a month ahead of applying. If someone simply woke up April 2nd and decided I think I'll apply for big game in Colorado this year, no doubt they were overwhelmed, but procrastination usually is overwhelming.

#livelikezac

Other states don't verify hunter ed.
Other states don't send out reg. books because
you don't need them to apply.
Other states sites automaticly prompt you to buy
their required lic.
Maybe takes five min.
No info need to be gathered before applying.
Very difficult user unfriendly system.

>Other states don't verify hunter ed.
>

Do they require hunter education? Just not to apply?

>Other states don't send out reg.
>books because
>you don't need them to apply.
>

How can you apply without a unit number or applicable tag number?

>Other states sites automaticly prompt you
>to buy
>their required lic.

First year they required a qualifying license. Probably have a prompt next year.

>Maybe takes five min.
>No info need to be gathered
>before applying.

I applied for seven species some with four choices, took 15 minutes.

>Very difficult user unfriendly system.

Agree it could be better, but those that have been thru it several years running aren't having much trouble. Was this the first year you applied in Colorado newhunter?

#livelikezac

Fact: if you spend a little time reading, it is a simple process regardless of verifying anything. I am not tech savvy but took me just a few minutes to apply because I took the time to read and understand what was required.

Gosh, I had to spend a little time reading.........To quote the movie My cousin Vinnie: ?Oh my God, what a f#%\ing nightmare?

txhunter58

>Fact: if you spend a
>little time reading, it is
>a simple process regardless of
>verifying anything. I am not
>tech savvy but took me
>just a few minutes to
>apply because I took the
>time to read and understand
>what was required.
>
>Gosh, I had to spend a
>little time reading.........To quote the
>movie My cousin Vinnie:
>?Oh my God, what a
>f#%\ing nightmare?
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

You should go on the I hunt Colorado facebook page tx. I've basically posted the entire brochure 1 paragraph at a time. Nobody reads the regs, it's a wonder the wardens dont get writers cramp and go on disability out here!

#livelikezac

Come on for decades I filled it all out by hand and mailed separate checks and envelopes for all species and was always afraid I had missed a box or a number might not be just right and blow my points on a doe tag...

this is easy peasy....

>Come on for decades I filled
>it all out by hand
>and mailed separate checks and
>envelopes for all species and
>was always afraid I had
>missed a box or a
>number might not be just
>right and blow my points
>on a doe tag...
>
>this is easy peasy....

Lol! Those were the days! That sweaty sick to your stomach feeling as you lick the envelope to seal it wondering if you should look it over one more time! Yes sir, those were the days!

#livelikezac

One year with manual apps a friend of mine wrote the check for $235 instead of $253. They cashed her check, kept the money 2 months and then sent her money back with a note that her app was rejected. So no tag and no point for that year. I triple checked and still worried.

txhunter58

>>Other states don't verify hunter ed.
>>
>
>Do they require hunter education? Just
>not to apply?
>
>
>
>>Other states don't send out reg.
>>books because
>>you don't need them to apply.
>>
>
>How can you apply without a
>unit number or applicable tag
>number?
>
>
>
>>Other states sites automaticly prompt you
>>to buy
>>their required lic.
>
>First year they required a qualifying
>license. Probably have a prompt
>next year.
>
>>Maybe takes five min.
>>No info need to be gathered
>>before applying.
>
>I applied for seven species some
>with four choices, took 15
>minutes.
>
>
>>Very difficult user unfriendly system.
>
>Agree it could be better, but
>those that have been thru
>it several years running aren't
>having much trouble. Was this
>the first year you applied
>in Colorado newhunter?
>
>
>#livelikezac

I have been applying for decades.
I will continue to apply. Even if it is a bad process.
This is a better process than in the past. (I.E. paper,black ink,capitals etc.)
It is not a good process!!
The original post was about the process being difficult.

"other states don't verify hunter id."

You simple type in hunter id once. Than other states systems remember it from that point forward. No verification required. Up to you to carry it on your person.

"How can you apply without a
unit number or applicable tag
number?"

Other states use drop down list of all units when applying. You simply click on unit/units you want and info is filled in. Simple. No need to look at reg. book for unit #. Or long numbers to input.

"First year they required a qualifying
license. Probably have a prompt
next year."

Qualifying lic. required every year.
Screen pops up with lic. you are required to buy. Click on it. It shows up in your cart. Easy.

Just saying Colorado system:
Not easy.
Not simple.
Not fast.
Not user friendly.

I will continue to use and FUND.

"You should go on the I hunt Colorado facebook page tx. I've basically posted the entire brochure 1 paragraph at a time. Nobody reads the regs, it's a wonder the wardens dont get writers cramp and go on disability out here!"

If I know the units and seasons I want to apply for there is no need to read all the regs. Until I have a tag in hand. Than read, study, ask questions, understand and follow the laws.

That would be like reading an owners manual of a truck I'm might not buy.
Or reading the reservation policy of a hotel I'm not going to stay at.

I remember when Colorado apps were all done on paper and we had to use blue ink.If we used black we were rejected.
They were making darn sure that all of us were serious about applying in Colorado.
Who else remembers that?

>Other states don't verify hunter ed.
>
>Other states don't send out reg.
>books because
>you don't need them to apply.
>
>Other states sites automaticly prompt you
>to buy
>their required lic.
>Maybe takes five min.
>No info need to be gathered
>before applying.
>Very difficult user unfriendly system.

Actually all states require a Hunter Ed cars to be on your person in the field. Colorado allows you to take your card into an office and get it verified. Then any license or tag you buy will be printed with you Hunter Ed info and it tells the game wardens that this process was verified. That way you don't have to have your hunter Ed on you if checked.

Other states don't really have a solution for this other than stating in their regulations that any person must have Hunter Ed verification in the field.

This process of registering it at the CDOW has nothing to do with the application process but it obviously helps the system know who you are and makes it a little easier to get through their complicated process.

Nevada requires you to call in person and scan in your card to verify your Hunter Ed and then after the lady receives it she updates your profile. Then and only then can you apply using the online system. If you didn't know this and woke up the day of you are going to be super panicked.

Last month when I used NM system it was super user friendly, I enjoyed going through that unfortunately I did it to no avail and I'm out $65 because I didn't draw. But the system was simple.

>"You should go on the I
>hunt Colorado facebook page tx.
>I've basically posted the entire
>brochure 1 paragraph at a
>time. Nobody reads the regs,
>it's a wonder the wardens
>dont get writers cramp and
>go on disability out here!"
>
>
>If I know the units and
>seasons I want to apply
>for there is no need
>to read all the regs.
>Until I have a tag
>in hand. Than read, study,
>ask questions, understand and follow
>the laws.
>
>That would be like reading an
>owners manual of a truck
>I'm might not buy.
>Or reading the reservation policy of
>a hotel I'm not going
>to stay at.

Lol! Maybe if you'd spent a couple hours and read the regs applying wouldn't have been such a struggle to you? Or don't and continue to tell us how difficult the app process is. Suit yerself, no skin off my nose.

#livelikezac

Lol! Maybe if you'd spent a couple hours and read the regs applying wouldn't have been such a struggle to you? Or don't and continue to tell us how difficult the app process is. Suit yerself, no skin off my nose.

Never said it was a struggle for me.
Said it was user unfriendly,not easy, not simple.
And again if I have to spend a couple of hour reading regs. It proves my point.

I should have one more Colorado deer point than I have because back when it was paper applications only with a postmark deadline I missed it by five minutes. I walked into the Mccammon Idaho post office at 5:05 with my envelope all filled out but I was passed that dates postmark time and I tried very hard to convince the postmaster to pre-date a postmark but he wouldn't go for it. That's how tough it was back then.

I thought it was a piece of cake. I enjoy taking 15-20 minutes to read the regs BEFORE putting in to see if season dates have changed, new rules, etc. As a matter of fact I'm reading the regs in the commission meeting notes before they are even printed or approved every year just to see what's coming down the pipe.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom