COLORADO - AREA 54

B

bob (Guest)

I am new to elk hunting but have spent my whole life hunting whitetail in the flat land. I will be hunting area 54 next week end. How is the terrain in 54 and are there any general areas i should focus on? What is the best method to use to find a shootable elk? Any general info would be appreciated.

Bob

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-03 AT 12:24PM (MST)[p]I'm afraid you won't get many replies to such a post. Posting right before the hunt with what seems to be no knowledge of the area at all will not attract anyone to help. I don't have any personal knowledge of area 54, so couldn't help you if I wanted to. If you really want some replies, log on and go to the elk section. Do some research about where you will be hunting and get some names of places you may be hunting. In other words: "I will hunting XYZ mountain area in area 54 and have heard the Bear creek and Dry gulch are good areas for elk." will get you a better chance of a response. Also, if you register and give your email address, you are more likely to get info. People are more likely to send private messages than post on an open forum. Would you post a favorite hunting area on a public forum?

In general, I hope you have been in training, because to elk hunt you generally have to cover some country and the land definately ain't flat. Have you ever been to high altitudes? Some people like me have a problem with altitude. I have to take meds to keep the symptoms, but most people can get by without them. You do need something like advil for muscle soreness and possible headaches from the altitude. Also, I take 3 grams of vitamin C 2-3 times a day and it virtually eliminates sore muscles. Tired yes , but much less sore. Also, it does take several days to get adjusted to the altitude even if you don't have altitude sickness, so getting there several days early is preferable. Also, drink water, drink water, drink water. Even if you don't feel thirsty. It helps you get adjusted. Avoid caffeine and alcohol for at least the first 3-4 days.

Be sure you have a quality pair of longjohns. By that I don't mean thick, they can be thin, but they need to be a good wicker of water. I don't care how cold it is, when you walk in the mountains you sweat, and with good longjohns, the water is wicked to your outer layers to evaporate. With poor long johns, such as cotton, it will hold moisture against your skin and make you cold when you stop. I also use a very thin polypro liner sock under a thick wool sock. This liner reduces the rubs that cause blisters and also wicks the moisture into the outer sock.

General hunting info. Study maps of the area you will be hunting. Find places away from roads that offer water, meadows and cover. If it is warm, the elk will usually be in timber on the north and east side of ridges. All I got time for now. Good luck

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Txhunter58 offered some great advice. The terrain starts at 7500' and goes up from there. It's pretty rugged. It's been dipping below freezing every night, expect temps in the mid 20s. Unit 54 is in my backyard, but I don't hunt there. I would suggest trying Soap Creek or maybe something on the west side near Crawford.

thanks for the general advice, I have never been in the rockies so i do not know how i will adjust to the altitude. it will be an experince of a lifetime.

thanks

The portion of area 54 that I have hunted consisted of huge canyons and rolling hills covered in aspen and conifer trees. This area has a lot of elk and deer but if there is no snow to move them, walking the timber is a good bet. I generally try to find large open parks 1/2 mile to 2 miles away from any road and sit and wait and I mean all day. I've had shots at 6:00 am and at 5:30 pm and many more days were I didn't see a thing but patience would be my best advise.

Good luck,
Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom