Colorado area 61 for archery elk.

Grandslam

My son and I have 24 points for elk. Can anyone tell me about the trophy quality of unit 61 for archery elk? 24 years is a long time to wait for a hunt. Does anyone else have any suggestions for elk, other than area 2, 10 and 201?

That's a wide open question.
Quality is great but 99% of hunters won't put in the effort to go down and dirty and then try figure out how to get them out.
I know there is people calling BS to quality but I pretty much live up there from June to October.

Your question can only be answered by you.
Time.... effort....packing out of hell holes ...and what kind of hunter you are.

It's not easy but I glass big bulls every year but I'm to old to draw another tag up there...
Take it or leave it

Young and ambitious yes...
At 52 I couldn't do it anymore without a mule for a big bull

I hunted Unit 2 for deer second season this year and feel that I could give you some good direction for elk in the North end of that Unit if you decide to look there.

I will never live long enough to have the elk tag but saw several bulls with a couple that would make most anyone smile in the 340- 350ish range. I don't pretend to be a good judge of big bulls because I have not seen that many of them on the hoof but according to the Warden that I met my estimation of the size was very close.

63Badger

I hunted 61 archery this year, and in 6 days of hunting never saw a bull over 310". I am sure there are a few there, but where I was hunting, you could glass very little, and so we were chasing bugles all day, which is a blast, but wading through the small ones takes a lot of time. In all my preparation, it sounds like very few people get a chance at a 320" plus bull. Especially if you cannot spend most of the hunt there. You need to go into this hunt with the correct expectations, and it will be a lot of fun.

Hunting 61 for elk during the rut is a blast! You'll see lots of elk and hear bugling bulls about everywhere you go. If you're looking for an exciting hunt with a good chance to take a 300 bull, 61 is it. Coloradoman is right about bigger bulls. The big guys stay in the thickest brush and timber and deepest canyons. I've hunted that unit several times and always had a Great time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom