Colorado Back Door - Deer

TerynItUp

For those of you who apply for deer in Colorado, the backdoor is open. Looks like I will be chasing 4th season deer in 77, 78, 771 as that is the only hunt I applied for.

Log in as if you were wanting to purchase a habitat stamp, under the different options to purchase there is a field that lists which products you already have on file. 500 series codes indicate a deer license on file.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Thanks for the heads up, looks like I struck out. I'm guessing my first choice was in the 20% range, but my 2nd choice has been 100% for the last few years, looks like something changed and I didn't get it.

491 for me, which is what I expected anyway after I submitted my app. I am trying to learn the Colorado draw system. Maybe you guys can help me.
So i put 1st choice for deer PP,
2nd for 80/81, and the areas around Pagosa Springs, and Durango.
I looked at the hunt summary and this is what I came up with. Deer archery unit 80/81: 170 tags, 308 1st choice apps,
110 of those are PP, so the remaining 200ish tags are divided up amongst the remaining 60 1st choice apps. And it appears that really nobody drew that tag on a 2nd or 3rd choice.
So am I understanding correctly if I assume that the only hunts that go beyond 1st choice apps has to be a bottom of the bucket type hunt? I assume that because every hunt I put in for did not require a PP to draw last year. And if those tags don't make it to the 2nd choice than which hunts do?
I never really expected to draw this year, I just wanted my PP for next year. So by no means am I whining, I am just trying to learn the system cause I have gotten conflicting info from Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
Thank you

LAST EDITED ON May-19-15 AT 11:12PM (MST)[p]Nmhtr yes u drew congrats! 82nd I'm lookin at last year's stats archery deer 80/81 there were 200 tags and 306 applicants. Anyone with a preference point drew and some with 0 pp's drew. There were no tags left for someone to draw it as a 2nd or 3rd choice. If all the same people applied for that tag again this year 106 of them would have 1 pp. But because there are more applicants than tags no one would draw it this year as a 2nd or 3rd choice. Drawing a unit as a 2nd or 3rd choice means they are less desirable units. But that doesn't mean there won't be a good deer or two in there for someone that works it and gets a little lucky.

Only applied for antelope in Colo this yr, pp on deer /elk . Still had a 400# next to my antelope. Hopefully only deer info updated so far

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom