Colorado CVA Optima loads

I've shot three elk in three years with 100gr triple 7 and 295gr powerbelts. I have used the factory fiber optic sights. Each shot was between 55 to 80 yards. I

This year I actually have time to go to the range and work up a load that will extend my range, especially because I might have a deer tag.

So my question is what is the longest effective range one can get to with Colorado's rules regarding sights? Is there a better combination of power/bullet that I could be using?

Any advice to help narrow down my choices of loads would be much appreciated!

Not very experienced with many types of loads... bullets, powder... but i think an easy upgrade would be a front globe sight (with a crosshair insert) and rear peep (williams makes several varieties to fit different brands of mzzlloaders).

160 yards a deer is very small with open sights and fiber optics. I know my longest shot on deer was 148 but I felt very comfortable with that.

I don't know your eye sight, or experience so my best advice is to learn what your limits are, especially for off hand shooting.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

Thanks...
I talked to a few people, it sounds like I could bump up the powder 10g, but I'll keep everything else the same and just practice more.

Just remember if you use loose triple 7 powder ffg must be reduced by 15% and fffg must be reduced by 25%. I was measuring 100 grains fffg play in my brass measure and the manufacturer of triple seven told me that I was not shooting a hundred grains I was actually shooting 134 grains. They said multiply ffg by .85 and fffg by .75 and that will give you correct amount to use.

Just remember if you use loose triple 7 powder ffg must be reduced by 15% and fffg must be reduced by 25%. I was measuring 100 grains fffg play in my brass measure and the manufacturer of triple seven told me that I was not shooting a hundred grains I was actually shooting 134 grains. They said multiply ffg by .85 and fffg by .75 and that will give you correct amount to use.
I did not know this. Thank you!

They're comparing T7 to Goex black powder which is a pretty weak powder. Swiss black powder has the same power as T7. 100gr is more than enough.

I'm curious why you think you need to shoot farther for deer? You can get just as close to muley's as you can with elk.

Not very experienced with many types of loads... bullets, powder... but i think an easy upgrade would be a front globe sight (with a crosshair insert) and rear peep (williams makes several varieties to fit different brands of mzzlloaders).
exactly right. Colorado here, btw. I put a hooded crosshair front sight and an elevated rear peep sight on my Omega 2 years after I started hunting. Why? Because I had a nice 4x4 in my stock sights the year before, wide open broadside shot, but couldn't pull the trigger. The stock front sight was 1/8" wide and this deer was at approx. 125 yards...and the front sight covered his entire front quarter, so I couldn't ethically take a shot without knowing where the bullet would hit. The hooded crosshair sight has crosshairs that are .010" (beryillium copper) thick. The next year I pulled up on another 4x4 with the new sights and man, what a difference. at 80 yards too (that helps). I put the crosshairs right on the lungs and double lunged him easy as pie.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom