Colorado deer 23 pp/elk 26..muzzy?

JC

Hi you smokepolers..posting here to see if I can get some shares on what to do with my amassed pp,s..23 deer-26 elk..couldn't hunt for many years..Life got in way..my fault some..love muzzy ..have taken some elk in older days..great season..I am reaching out to smokepolers for insight on best unit for DIY hunt in muzzleloader season considering points I have..any input apreciated..just me hunting..thanks

image1.JPG

JC
I am assuming you are a non-resident but either way I’m sure you know you have way more points then it will take to draw a good Muzzy Deer Hunt. I am a non-resident of Colorado and I won’t share information on a specific unit because truthfully it will reduce my odds of drawing if someone else applies for the same hunt as me. If you’re looking for the most bang for your buck for the amount of points you have maybe you should look at a private ranch or a guided hunt. Not sure what else to suggest to you but I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for advice buckhorn..hope you get tag your looking for..I know it's pretty much 1 then done for most of us..yes I'm non resident..

The draw stats show which muzzy tags are toughest to draw for both deer and elk. Muzzy elk is great timing with the rut but deer may be super tough. 10, 2, and 201 are reknown as the best elk units in Colo. There are also some great elk RFW ranches available in the draw if you are a Colo res.

Once muley bucks start shedding their velvet they head into the timber and are a lot tougher to find until they suddenly re-appear during the rut. This usually happens around the time muzzy season opens. Also, Colo deer are scattered over large areas in Western Colo during muzzy season. You better have lots of time and boot leather to find the scattered bucks that exist in small pockets. Your points are also overkill for almost every muzzy deer hunt in Colo.

If it were me and I was open to hunting the rifle season I would use your deer pts to my advantage by using them for a late rifle hunt during the rut. If you are set on hunting with your muzzy you can always use your muzzy during rifle season...and put a scope on it and use sabots for extended ranges! Your chance for a true whopper would likely be better with a muzzy/scope during a late rifle season than muzzy with no scope and no sabots during early muzzy season.

If you are a Colo res it also opens up RFW deer ranches. There are a bunch of fantastic late rifle units scattered across the state. Although the same bucks are available during muzzy season...you will definitely have your work cut out finding them!

Last edited:
Thanks so much Jim's for that well thought out reply..I do not have to do muzzy for deer.i totally understand now what you are talking about..to look at it clearer then I will do research to find a good deer unit during rifle..late or! Looking for unit that will lend itself well for me..old guy..good shape though..might be bringing wife for packer..DIY hunt prefered..dont need state record(big fatty) would be super cool though..score not necessary..pretty buck!! I dont have the biggest of anything now..why change..lmao..thanks in advance for any tips on units..JC

Also..I do have preference pts. Issue coming from colorado outdoors to due some due dilligence..nothing like guys that have Been There Done That...saw what they saw...

If you aren't too picky on deer and want a lot better experience you may want to choose a unit that isn't OTC elk. There are obviously gobs of elk hunters to contend with in those units. Nothing more frustrating than to be stalking deer and have OTC elk hunters running up and down roads spooking bucks!

That's the stuff I dont know..that's why I'm reaching out to guys in the know..especially to guys that have hunted it somewhat recently or just know the places from the past or that live near..for me it will be 1 tag and then pretty much done ..dont want anybody's private spot...saying that from what you are saying I think you may have a feeling for what I might be looking for..just a good quality deer hunt..that's where my excitement is..(again I wouldnt not stalk a big one it it popped up in my fieldglasses)..

If you’re OK with hunting deer with a rifle look at unit 44 unit 66. Check out the draw stats and see if you have enough points for a third season. I think those two units may take more points than you have to draw the fourth season.

Thanks for that..I actually put in for 44 this last year..knowing I probably wouldnt draw..I dont know any of the areas..so it's a crap shoot..what's 66 look like for the deer hunting opportunities?..I also got scared about the no weather issue as I've been reading a little talk about that.. whoasme what a fellow to do..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom