Colorado Deer 23 PP...... would like to use this year

Kwelp45

I have been stockpiling points for some time obviously on Colorado deer. It was not my intent to build up such a pile. Life and other hunts have not allowed me to use them up. I put in last year for unit 66 4th season and did not draw with 22pp. I know the change in seasons has the whole draw a guessing game. I really want to hunt CO this year for Mule Deer. Any thoughts as to a great unit and season that I would likely draw this year?

How many non res have 23 or more points?
I would think a lot of them will be wanting to draw out this year.
I would also think a high percentage of them will be applying for 3rd season.
Might be better odds to draw 4th season this year.

How many non res have 23 or more points?
I would think a lot of them will be wanting to draw out this year.
I would also think a high percentage of them will be applying for 3rd season.
Might be better odds to draw 4th season this year.
I was thinking this same thing. It’s possible. Not real likely, but possible.

There were only 4 NR tags issued in 66th 4th season last year and only 25% of those NR applicants with 24 points drew. That leaves a minimum of 3 NR going into the draw with 25 points not to mention the 2 NR applicants who applied last year with 23 points which implies all things being equal as to applicants/tags it will be 50% with 24 points this year. With only 4 NR tags and the best season dates in years, all bets are off this year as you mentioned. IMO it would be quite the gamble betting that no new applicants with higher points will apply for that hunt this year. If you apply for 4th and don’t draw this year, what mature bucks will be left for the 2022 season with the late dates this year? If you are set on hunting this year and you like 66, why not hunt the 3rd season with the great Nov 13-19 dates this year?

Good luck on drawing a tag on whatever hunt/season you decide to apply for This year...

Horniac

Another thing to consider is all the people with that many points that have been applying for points only. I suspect a lot of those high point holders will be trying to draw tags this year.

So just asking. Why the rush on drawing this year. Are there major changes coming that will affect the future of hunting the state.
Thanks

The dates this year during the 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons are later than normal. The 2nd season is even in November. So, many expect more older age class bucks to be killed than typical, which would leave the next few years with fewer older bucks.

There is the concerns of the date changes and consequent reduction in mature bucks. Another factor is that I am 52 years old and I lost my Father and Brother (53) in the last year and a half. More than ever I realize this isn't a dress rehearsal. I have been building preference points in Wyoming and Colorado for multiple species and it is time to use up some points.
I used 13pp in Wyoming to draw 62 (elk) and was lucky enough to take a 351" Bull with my Dads old Remington 700 BDL 300 Win Mag. I will use the same gun on this trip. I took my first whitetail buck with the same rifle 35 years ago and my first elk with it 32 years ago. That rifle needs to see some country! I hope to take it to British Columbia Moose hunting in the next few years. My Dad took it there and brought back an awesome Moose, a Black Bear and some Wolves. All taken with that rifle over 45 years ago.
Colorado looks to be a great option for this year. I have backups if I don't draw it. But I want to try to get a late season CO buck this year.

So just asking. Why the rush on drawing this year. Are there major changes coming that will affect the future of hunting the state.
Thanks
yep, later season dates, tag increases, the introduction of wolves etc. mean more mature bucks harvested These changes are all predictors that hunting in Colorado will take a turn for the worse. Not written in stone but not looking good for what was once the greatest state for trophy mule deer.

I like founders suggestion, 66 3rd season you get great dates and two extra days of hunting than you would in 4th season.

I am 15 years older and have 20 NR points. Was hoping to draw 3rd 66 but I thought that last year. I may actually go second season 66.

I like founders suggestion, 66 3rd season you get great dates and two extra days of hunting than you would in 4th season.
I really like that idea - 66 3rd- best chance all around . 2 extra days can be critical . Go early , pre scout. Hope for cold /snow !
Jerry Gold - Windsor, Colorado ???

Much appreciated advice! It makes sense. There are a lot of moving parts and possibilities. 23 years of applying is a surreal within itself. In todays world, for those starting out that feat (unfortunately) would be very costly. Hope to make the most of it and make some memories.

Much appreciated advice! It makes sense. There are a lot of moving parts and possibilities. 23 years of applying is a surreal within itself. In todays world, for those starting out that feat (unfortunately) would be very costly. Hope to make the most of it and make some memories.
Best of Luck ?!! You’ve got a quest to fulfill - OIL. I’ve got same thing in 13 B -Az Strip deer. Been applying for 19 years & hope to draw before I get too old. I’m 74 already- Ugh. I ‘m actually thinking I might draw in next 3 years. Seems that at 20 points you have a chance !
Again best of Luck & hope you find & take
a monster buck ! Jerry Gold in Windsor, Co ?????? Post photos too please !!

Going in with 24 NR this year... still trying to figure it out. Would have drawn 66 2 years ago. Those building points are surely going to put in for the late dates this year.

Most of those giant governors tag bucks killed in the past were in late November and December. I would say if you could draw a 4th season you may get access to bucks that aren’t available at any other time.
Those Giants seem to come out of the woodwork very late in the year.
44 or 66 4th season
May even be better odds this year than 3rd season hunts.

There are over 170 NR‘s with 25 or more deer points. Another 120 NR‘s at the 24 point level.

With only 4 NR tags for 66 4th and 3 NR tags for 44 4th it would be a big gamble IMO thinking these two units aren‘t going to creep several points this year. All things being equal in 44 with tags and previous applicants it is going to be 50% with 25 points this year.

There were only 13 NR tags for 66 3rd season and 6 tags for 44 3rd last year so it won‘t take much to make those seasons jump as well if new high point applicants apply for those hunts this year.

A tough but enviable position for you guys to be in this year. Apply for the best 4th season hunts and potentially be left holding the bag with potentially a worthless pile of preference points if you don’t draw or leave a few points on the table and go hunt? Decisions, decisions...

Horniac

Holy crap. Had no idea there was that many people hoarding points. It's actually depressing knowing how many are ahead of me.

why are people saying you should dump points...is there a new law that points that will disappear..just asking as i have alot of points too...thanks in advance

why are people saying you should dump points...is there a new law that points that will disappear..just asking as i have alot of points too...thanks in advance
Everyone in the points game should take a look at where they stand with their preference points and how many others there are in the same pool and above. Then take a hard look at the reality of the situation if you’re chasing the high demand hunts.
Colorado is a preferential system where applicants with the most points draw first.
With mule deer herds and quality declining throughout the west and Colorado in particular the outlook is not too positive. If people want any kind of a quality they should do it sooner than later in my opinion. Hunters will just keep waiting longer and longer for less and less quality.
If folks are accumulating points they should read and research to become as well informed as possible of the prospects and conditions of where they are hoping too hunt.
Like horniac posted above very few of the non res high point holders are drawing out because there just aren’t that many tags offered for the high demand hunts.
Get on the CPW website and studied the draw statistics. It takes a bit of work to learn to navigate but I think it’s better than go hunt. You see every hunter that applies for each hunt and how many points each applicant has.

No, the only thing disappearing are the giant bucks that CO is known for. Poor management with no relief on the horizon.

no reason to accumulate points if your chances of a trophy continue to decline because of poor management, increased tag numbers etc. that's why most people are throwing their hat into the ring this year while there are still some quality hunts out there.

Last edited:
There are over 170 NR‘s with 25 or more deer points. Another 120 NR‘s at the 24 point level.

With only 4 NR tags for 66 4th and 3 NR tags for 44 4th it would be a big gamble IMO thinking these two units aren‘t going to creep several points this year. All things being equal in 44 with tags and previous applicants it is going to be 50% with 25 points this year.

There were only 13 NR tags for 66 3rd season and 6 tags for 44 3rd last year so it won‘t take much to make those seasons jump as well if new high point applicants apply for those hunts this year.

A tough but enviable position for you guys to be in this year. Apply for the best 4th season hunts and potentially be left holding the bag with potentially a worthless pile of preference points if you don’t draw or leave a few points on the table and go hunt? Decisions, decisions...

Horniac
Not sure where you are getting the NR numbers from? From looking at Stats page on CPW site, it shows predraw with 25+ was 85 and 8 drew so it seems that'd leave 77 coming into the draw this year. Still a huge amount of high point people. For 24 pts it looks to me like there's 104. I'm a resident with 20 and it's kinda discouraging to see how many others have more than that! I'm a bit worried about drawing this year as I really haven't been waiting for the late dates this year but likely the serious deer hunters have been waiting. Hoping some of those will be looking at RFW hunts to burn their points since there are several of those needing more than 20 pts.

You keep telling all the high point guys to put in, there won’t be enough tags for the rest of you. Most high point guys no where they sit and how we got there. Yes the quality of Mule Deer has gone down in all states. Yes Colorado is going to take out older age class Deer, yes there going to introduce Wolves.

Kwelp45- with all the talk about Colorado- your odds for 66 4th or 66 3rd or 44 4th or 44 3rd are very slim to none, maybe a second season in either unit. I saw one nice buck come out of 66 last year and one out of 44, there could more but not many. There were better Deer killed out of regular units through out the state. You might give a look at the Eastern plains with your points.

Kwelp45- with all the talk about Colorado- your odds for 66 4th or 66 3rd or 44 4th or 44 3rd are very slim to none, maybe a second season in either unit. I saw one nice buck come out of 66 last year and one out of 44, there could more but not many. There were better Deer killed out of regular units through out the state. You might give a look at the Eastern plains with your points.
66 actually produced a fair number of 190 plus inch deer last year... my uncle had the tag last year and turned it back to focus on his unit 10 elk tag. My good buddy was fortunate to actually get his tag and was able to kill a low 200s type deer the third day of the season.

Not sure where you are getting the NR numbers from? From looking at Stats page on CPW site, it shows predraw with 25+ was 85 and 8 drew so it seems that'd leave 77 coming into the draw this year. Still a huge amount of high point people. For 24 pts it looks to me like there's 104. I'm a resident with 20 and it's kinda discouraging to see how many others have more than that! I'm a bit worried about drawing this year as I really haven't been waiting for the late dates this year but likely the serious deer hunters have been waiting. Hoping some of those will be looking at RFW hunts to burn their points since there are several of those needing more than 20 pts.
I got the points data from the Huntin’ Fool so I am assuming it is accurate.

From looking at the CPW data you referenced it shows 134 NR applicants entered the draw with 23 points last year and 14 were successful leaving those 120 NR‘s going into the draw this year with another point (now 24) which matches the data provided by Huntin’ Fool.

There were 210 NR’s that entered the draw last year with 22 points and 15 drew out leaving 195 NR’s going into the draw this year now with 23 points and so on and so on.

I would assume point creep will be not so bad on the resident side for you COLOelkman given the resident quotas except for those hunts with extremely limited tags.

Good luck to everyone it will be interesting to see how this shakes out this year!

Horniac

I got the points data from the Huntin’ Fool so I am assuming it is accurate.

From looking at the CPW data you referenced it shows 134 NR applicants entered the draw with 23 points last year and 14 were successful leaving those 120 NR‘s going into the draw this year with another point (now 24) which matches the data provided by Huntin’ Fool.

There were 210 NR’s that entered the draw last year with 22 points and 15 drew out leaving 195 NR’s going into the draw this year now with 23 points and so on and so on.

I would assume point creep will be not so bad on the resident side for you COLOelkman given the resident quotas except for those hunts with extremely limited tags.

Good luck to everyone it will be interesting to see how this shakes out this year!

Horniac
The numbers shown in your post above do agree with the CPW data but the original post referred to the 24 and 25 pt category which those do not seem to match the CPW data. Thought I could screen shoot to illustrate those but not luck.

At any rate, I've sure read quite a lot of posts that are speculating some significant point creep for residents for the premium units. For me with 20 points, that seems like a lot however there are 565 residents with more points than me which is kinda discouraging after waiting 20 years but as they say, it is what it is. I think people are speculating that many have looked and planned ahead and saw that 2021 will have the latest dates ever for deer and speculating that many will try to burn them this year. I guess time will tell. The hunts that have "extremely limited tags" I'm guessing will be the units that could experience the worst point creep as there's just a boatload of people with 20 or more points. I have 2 friends with more than me and they do not plan to use them this year so I can only hope many others will be likeminded!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom