Colorado deer Help!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I'm down to three choices, with just a flip of a coin away, on which one to take, but would like any info on these areas. I'm mainly concerned about public access problems and snow levels during the 3rd rifle season. I have two calls in to Bioligists but they haven't returned the calls as of yet. I have 0 P/P's so my choices to hunt deer are: 41/42 3rd rifle, 62 3rd rifle and 70 3rd rifle. Last year 70 required 2 p/p's but I believe with the economy being what it is I may get lucky and it may go lower. I've hunted 35/36 3rd rifle and 36 early rifle twice. I'll trade what I know for any info on these units. Kerry

Even with the slow economy, I don't think you will pick up any of those 3rd season tags for 0 points. The winter kill of 07-08 became a stark reality last year and I think you will have alot of people switch regions.

Looks to me that your only real shot at a tag point wise is 41/42. There are lots of deer in those units.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I have hunted Colorado for over a decade. I've hunted lots of northern CO and have had some quality hunts and killed good deer. I can honestly say the WORST hunt I have ever been on was in 41/42/421. I went down twice to scout, and hunted hard for 4 days. It's the only hunt I have ever been on where I never saw a single buck; not one. The deer were almost entirely on private ground and the country I hunted had some good habitat; just not hardly any deer. I'll avoid that area from now on. Even most of the locals I talked with questioned my sanity for huting there.

You might have to look at a voucher for those areas because as mentioned, it is very unlikley that you'll draw.

I called again today and left a message for the biologist. I was hoping 41/42/421 was the place to try due to only having 0 p/p's. I'll have to start researching a little more into other areas, thanks for the responses thus far!

I would look at the 2nd season in units 52, 63, and 68. Should be able to draw with 0 points, but I did not check. All have enough public land for a good hunt.

Man, last year in 41/42/421 was some of the worst I've ever seen. We were really, really disapointed. In fact we didn't put in this year because it wasn't worth it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom