Colorado Early Mule Deer Options

WoodsD9

I was wondering if anyone had some experience with any of the early rifle tags in Colorado over the past few years that would be willing to share their experience with me? I'm sitting on a pile of points and wanting to burn them next year on an early season tag.

I know the early rifle tags are probably not what they used to be but so is the entire state in my opinion. My thoughts were i had a good chance to have a great summer in the high country trying to scout a big buck and have a chance to get him killed early. Minimize the need to depend on weather and rut activity in the 3rd and 4th season hunts.

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice from someone that has had one or been apart of an early hunt in the past few years.

I was wondering if anyone had some experience with any of the early rifle tags in Colorado over the past few years that would be willing to share their experience with me? I'm sitting on a pile of points and wanting to burn them next year on an early season tag.

I know the early rifle tags are probably not what they used to be but so is the entire state in my opinion. My thoughts were i had a good chance to have a great summer in the high country trying to scout a big buck and have a chance to get him killed early. Minimize the need to depend on weather and rut activity in the 3rd and 4th season hunts.

I'd appreciate any feedback or advice from someone that has had one or been apart of an early hunt in the past few years.
I like the idea of them. I’ve elk hunted during the rut quite a bit and I do like the idea of them being stationary. Not sure how many pts u have. But the muzzy tag would also be a consideration

If you have the time to scout, as it appears you do, I would definitely go for it. There's usually a ton of back country in those units and the bucks are only found in small pockets. If you have time to find them (which is half the fun), you're in for a good time.

Generally speaking there is a gob of country with low density of bucks. You'll have your work cut out for you! Put in the time and boot leather for success! It can be frustrating at times.

Keep in mind that if you hunt units with OTC elk you may be sharing it with them OTC archery elk hunters. Also, keep in mind that where high alpine bucks are all summer they generally move just prior to some of the early high country rifle season opener. Once alpine bucks shed their velvet they often head into the trees where they can be super tough to find.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom