Colorado Elk Drop Camp

M

maddmuley

Hi All,
I've been seaching the internet looking up infomation on a archery elk drop camp. Does anyone have any recomendations for outfitters in the Gunnison National Forest? I'm looking for a remote camp site that isn't overrun with other hunters and vehicles. THanks..........

Did you try http://www.tenderfoot-outfitters.com. I don't have any personal experience with them but, you might want to check into them. I see them every year out there, and was thinking about trying one of thier drop camps one of these days when I get older and can pay someone to haul me into the backountry. Not sure how much pressure the area gets during archery season, and they get back in the wilderness, so there won't be any vehicles.

Look at Samuelson outfitters. They are however in the Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest. Hunted with them in 2003 and am going back in 2004. The area is loaded with elk and they provide an excellent drop camp. www.samuelsonoutfitters.com

Hello there! My name is LeRoy and I live in Colorado. I use to live in Gunnison and was very into the elk hunting. If you'd like some information about the area, I would be happy to share with you. You can either email me or call me at home. I love these animals and enjoy helping others who share this interest with me. Listed below are my email address and home phone number. I work during the day, so please leave a message or call in the evening. No later than 8:30 p.m. MST please!

Thanks and happy hunting!

LeRoy

[email protected]

(970)-242-1239

Thanks for the offer SobeLizard. I just emialed you with some questions. Hope to hear from you soon.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-04 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p] I've always been gun shy of drop camps in the lower 48,I figure if the country was that good,the outfitter would be guiding there himself!
Good luck anyway!

LM - NRA, NAHC, RMEF
Depending on cost of the drop camp an outfitter can make more money on them than having to provide everything for an outfitted hunt. There are only so many dependable people willing to go the extra mile and do a good job guideing. A day to set up a camp, a day to take down, two days to pack a group in and out, and five or six groups paying -- you figure it out.
2 days each for $1500 - $2000 return on 5 to 6 groups. Who wants to baby sit all these people?? If you can make $500 per head on 20 to 24 hunters and not have to deal with them - why not. An outfitter in Idaho usually has a million plus acres to hunt in. He cannot hunt it all!! Some drop camps can help pay the bills!
Just food for thought about drop camps.

If you hunt in Unit 53 or 54, you shouldn't have to worry about vehicles around or very many hunters. It is some very rugged country with lots of room to get away from everyone else. I second the vote for Tenderfoot Outfitters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom