Colorado Governors tag Mule deer story (raffle Tag)

yeff2

Hi guys so I finally got a chance today to play around with uploading some pictures. I made a few changes from the Facebook story as I remembered a few more things.

Here is the story from Facebook I wrote the story on November 26th and had shot the buck on November 25th earlier this week. Also prior to this story, I had hit 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons in the Gunnison Basin looking for big bucks before moving into Eagle county to hunt from Nov 18th until I filled the tag.

So I just tagged my buck yesterday. I had a Colorado Governors deer tag I won in a raffle. What a blast I had! Getting to hunt deer late into November was pretty amazing. I will say nice bucks still aren't stupid. I had ample opportunity to pay or gift somebody something to access some private land but I still did it on public land and I'm much happier about it. I spent 7 days in the unit and actually passed on the buck I ended up taking on my 3rd day as I'm not good at judging mule deer. I actually called my brother and sent him pictures right then and I also spoke with Cole Ullom and he asked me why I hadn't shot it? So now I was like "dang it". I watched the deer bed before I drove off and so after talking with Cole I went back to see if I could find him an hour or so later but scouts for one of the other Governor tags had driven through there and the buck was gone.

Over the next few days by myself, I learned the terrain as best I could and by the time my brother showed up (Nov 21st) we started to hustle the unit. We were in the 3 or 4 major areas of the unit and seeing plenty of 160-180 bucks. Passing on these bucks was hard for me because they were all sweet bucks. The terrain has all kinds of country that the deer like to hang in. Areas where they are in private and you're hoping they come into public and areas where they are really high hoping they'll come down and one area that just looks like the terrain I hunted as a kid full of sage, cedars, and juniper. (Uncompahgre plateau)

So yesterday morning after days of hunting I was pretty beat and forgot to set the alarm. I woke at 5:30 and was like ?crap we gotta go? my brother and I were ready in 15 minutes and jumped in the truck. We showed up where we wanted to go and a good thing it was overcast so we weren't actually late. We started working side roads all over looking for rutting deer. After 45 minutes we were worried because you could tell the weekenders had been in there Sunday tearing up the ATV trails and so it was like the deer we had seen the morning before were gone. We kept going into some steeper terrain away from the ATV trails and found some does. Next thing we see one buck and then just below us the buck I passed on showed up. We glassed him but within a few minutes while sizing him up another smaller buck pushed him over the ridge. I was annoyed as I hadn't been able to find him in 4 days and after a few minutes, he was gone again. We sat watching and just like that 10 minutes later he came back over the ridge looking to spar. He and the other buck (about 180") were getting ready to spar when I put one right behind his shoulder at 300 yards. My brother was watching through binoculars and said? dude you smoked him? he ran 20 yards and face planted. And just like that, the tag of lifetime hunt was over. I had a great hunt and to share it with my brother was special and over the weekend I had my other brother and another best friend with us. I wouldn't have wanted to do it alone. I'm just so happy we did DIY on Public land. I want thanks Cole Ullom and Nikki Haynes for their help in showing me places on the map to work for a buck. This is my best buck and a sweet one at that!

I urge you guys to support your local SCI chapters and Mule Deer Foundation. They do a lot whether it be on the ground or raising money to preserve and help mule deer habitat. I would like to thank Safari Club Colorado as their raffle is where I won my tag. Best $200 of my life.

He had a rough gross of 207. Sweet buck tons of character.

654572019112508.59.20copy.jpg

252922019112509.02.45copy.jpg

Awesome. Nice job!

So glad to see a trophy photo without TEAM MOSSBACK or HORSETOOTH JACKASS in it. Where's your team of scouters, spotters and packers? LOL.

Good job man! Love it!

Good job doing it yourself. Far more worth it than somebody calling you up and telling you they are sitting on a shooter and all you have to do is show up and pull the trigger.

Yeff2, congrats on a hammer! Just curious how many raffle tickets did you buy? I usually buy $100-200 bucks worth. Thanks

>Yeff2, congrats on a hammer! Just
>curious how many raffle tickets
>did you buy? I usually
>buy $100-200 bucks worth. Thanks
>

Wow that's a amazing buck, congratulations. Always cool to see that people do really win those raffle tickets. I put in for a number of them around the US and barely hear or see someone post about them winning.

https://www.sagemuleys.com

>Yeff2, congrats on a hammer! Just
>curious how many raffle tickets
>did you buy? I usually
>buy $100-200 bucks worth. Thanks
>

I bought $200 worth.

Congratulations on a stud of a buck. Very cool buck, and the fact you did it yourself on public land is something you should really be proud of. Great job and congrats.

Awesome buck and great job telling the story behind the buck! I put in for those raffles as much as I can in hopes of one day drawing. Its cool to see someone drawing that tag and making it happen. Great job!

Congratulations to you, that's a fantastic buck. The extra stuff is really cool. What a fun tag to have. It had to be so hard deciding what size of buck to hold out for.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Awesome DIY public land buck!!! Congrats! That second pic really shows off how big the rack is!

Now, you said you saw this buck before and passed? What were you thinking?? :D :D

Congratulations on a great Colorado deer, what a great tag to win. It's nice to see a few good deer get killed in Colorado

>Awesome DIY public land buck!!!
>Congrats! That second pic
>really shows off how big
>the rack is!
>
>Now, you said you saw this
>buck before and passed?
>What were you thinking??
>:D :D

The day I saw him the first time it was snowing and I just couldn't tell, plus I had never seen a buck with extra points his frame as he didn't look as big as a typical 4x4 frame does. So I passed and made some calls to friends and then it was said I should have shot him. Glad we crossed paths again.

>>Awesome DIY public land buck!!!
>>Congrats! That second pic
>>really shows off how big
>>the rack is!
>>
>>Now, you said you saw this
>>buck before and passed?
>>What were you thinking??
>>:D :D
>
>
>The day I saw him the
>first time it was snowing
>and I just couldn't tell,
>plus I had never seen
>a buck with extra points
>his frame as he didn't
>look as big as a
>typical 4x4 frame does.
>So I passed and made
>some calls to friends and
>then it was said I
>should have shot him.
>Glad we crossed paths again.
>

That makes more sense. Glad you got a second chance!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom