Colorado gun law question.

dirtygrass

I would like to buy a long slide 9mm pistol, such as a glock 34 or 17L. However..they only come with 17 round magazines. I found some on armslist but I am pretty sure it can not be transferred to me. If I went to WY and purchased one would it be legal to bring it to Colorado, I am guessing not since I did not purchase it pre-ban.

I forgot to ask, would it be legal if I purchased to pistol in WY and installed Magazine limiter before coming home, would that make it legal?

Yep, you can. You can come to Texas and if you are a US citizen and pass a background check, you absolutely can buy a pistol. Doesn't matter what state you come from. The NRA would be all over that. Now about taking it back to Colorado if it is deemed "illegal" not so sure.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I know you can purchase pistols from private party in other states that do not require back ground checks. You can only purchase long guns for dealers in states that border your state of residence. I know I can go to Wyoming and purchase a pistol with 17 round capacity legal there but...I think when I cross the border back into Colorado I am breaking the law.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-17 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]pay cash to a private party out of state, then say prove I didn't own this gun prior to CO ban.
sheriffs stated in beginning they would not enforce this law, guessing many cops wouldn't either. It is a rather safe bet you'd never be checked. If you don't try to rob a bank or something similar to give them a reason to check you will be fine.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>Yep, you can. You can
>come to Texas and if
>you are a US citizen
>and pass a background check,
>you absolutely can buy a
>pistol. Doesn't matter what state
>you come from. The
>NRA would be all over
>that. Now about taking
>it back to Colorado if
>it is deemed "illegal" not
>so sure.
>
>txhunter58
>
>venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore
>I am)

Thanx TX! Tried to buy one at a Nebraska gunshow a few years back and when I pulled out my colorado DL you would have thought I pissed on his mommas grave! Didn't know it was illegal at the time.

As others have said, you can't cross State lines to purchase a handgun, and that includes Texas. Also includes private party sales. You can purchase a hand gun in Texas, pay for it there and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your state but you can't take possession of it in a State that you are not a resident.

Long guns, rifles and shotguns, can be purchased in any state where they will sell you one, doesn't have to be a contiguous state. FFL dealers are not supposed to sell you a rifle or shotgun if you reside in a state where that particular rifle or shotgun is illegal.

I've thought that Federal laws on private sales were a pretty gray area.

Law pretty much says that you can't knowingly or should reasonably know sell a firearm to someone that can't legally purchase one.

An example would be for me to go to the local gun show and lay a Glock on the table with a $500 price tag on it.

A gentleman comes to my table, he has gray hair so he's at least 21, he doesn't have any prison tattoos across his forehead and he isn't wearing a shirt that says Colorado across the front.

He hands me $500 and I hand him the gun and no matter who this person is or where he is from I haven't broken any laws.

Same situation, a different person walks over to my table. We start talking and he says he used to live in this state but he moved to Colorado and is just in visiting relatives.

Now I can't sell him the Glock, I know he doesn't reside in this state and this will be an illegal sale.

If I sell him the pistol and this turns out to be an ATF sting then I'm busted.

If that is true, it is news to me, but I have been wrong once before in my life. :) I will have to do some more checking and verify but you do sound like you know what you are talking about. If so, it is our great gun lobby law that does zero good for anyone. If I can buy one in Colorado and can pass a background check, why couldn't I be on vacation in Texas and see one I love and buy it?? Makes no sense.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>As others have said, you can't
>cross State lines to purchase
>a handgun, and that includes
>Texas. Also includes private party
>sales. You can purchase a
>hand gun in Texas, pay
>for it there and have
>it shipped to a FFL
>dealer in your state but
>you can't take possession of
>it in a State that
>you are not a resident.
>
>
>Long guns, rifles and shotguns, can
>be purchased in any state
>where they will sell you
>one, doesn't have to be
>a contiguous state. FFL dealers
>are not supposed to sell
>you a rifle or shotgun
>if you reside in a
>state where that particular rifle
>or shotgun is illegal.
>
>I've thought that Federal laws on
>private sales were a pretty
>gray area.
>
>Law pretty much says that you
>can't knowingly or should reasonably
>know sell a firearm to
>someone that can't legally purchase
>one.
>
>An example would be for me
>to go to the local
>gun show and lay a
>Glock on the table with
>a $500 price tag on
>it.
>
>A gentleman comes to my table,
>he has gray hair so
>he's at least 21, he
>doesn't have any prison tattoos
>across his forehead and he
>isn't wearing a shirt that
>says Colorado across the front.
>
>
>He hands me $500 and I
>hand him the gun and
>no matter who this person
>is or where he is
>from I haven't broken any
>laws.
>
>Same situation, a different person walks
>over to my table. We
>start talking and he says
>he used to live in
>this state but he moved
>to Colorado and is just
>in visiting relatives.
>
>Now I can't sell him the
>Glock, I know he doesn't
>reside in this state and
>this will be an illegal
>sale.
>
>If I sell him the pistol
>and this turns out to
>be an ATF sting then
>I'm busted.

That isn't always the case.

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-a...tate-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase

>I would like to buy a
>long slide 9mm pistol, such
>as a glock 34 or
>17L. However..they only come
>with 17 round magazines.
>I found some on armslist
>but I am pretty sure
>it can not be transferred
>to me. If I
>went to WY and purchased
>one would it be legal
>to bring it to Colorado,
>I am guessing not since
>I did not purchase it
>pre-ban.

The gun isn't illegal, the mags are, correct? Get some ten rounders at Cabelas. I bought another G17 late last year off GunBroker and had it shipped to my FFL in California. It came with two 17rd mags. Fortunately, my FFL has a hi cap mag permit and he traded me for two 10 rd mags. If that wasn't scenario wasn't possible, I would have had the seller keep the 17 rd mags and ship the gun without. GB and GA have some great deals. My gen3 G17 was $450 shipped. Of course, i had to pay DROS fees, FFL transfer fees and in CA, the ffl is required to collect sales tax. Even though the gun was purchased from an out of state source. Ridiculous!

Feddoc you bring up a good way to go out of state to purchase handguns legally.

I own a vacation property in another state but I never thought about trying to buy handguns there. I don't stay there long enough at one time to change my drivers license.

But from your post I could take my birth certificate and property tax receipt in to the DMV and get me a new drivers license and then go purchase a handgun legally.

I don't really have any need to do that. My primary state is pretty gun friendly, Open carry, permitless concealed carry and can buy anything you want.

But it looks like you could purchase a small lot in another state, pay the real estate taxes so you could get a drivers license. Camp out on your property for a night and then go buy you a gun.

Colorado Revised Statutes is easy online.
Your looking for CRS 18-12-302.
Unlawful to sell,transfer,or possess large-capacity ammunition magazines

The key numbers are more then 15 rounds.
The date that matters is July 1 2013.
The wording that matters "the prosecution has the burden of proof to refute the assertion" READ that as the state has to prove you acquired it after 07-01-2013

The Definitions are CRS 18-12-301.
CCW'S are 18-12-204
Reciprocity for non Colo CCW's is 18-12-213
Unlawful purchase is 18-12-111
Back Ground Checks 18-12-112

I wont state my opinion or give advise....
I Would love to know exactly how may times this has been charged since 2013. You wont see THAT # on CNN.

I know of....NONE.

I want to keep this purchase totally legal and this is what I found out. Federal laws do not allow me to purchase a handgun outside of my resident state, Colorado does not allow me purchase a handgun/magazine over 15 rounds. I will order a 10 round magazine, have the handgun owner meet me in Colorado do a background check and buy the gun. I think that makes me legal.

>I want to keep this purchase
>totally legal and this is
>what I found out.
>Federal laws do not allow
>me to purchase a handgun
>outside of my resident state,
>Colorado does not allow me
>purchase a handgun/magazine over 15
>rounds. I will order
>a 10 round magazine, have
>the handgun owner meet me
>in Colorado do a background
>check and buy the gun.
> I think that makes
>me legal.

Yep

TXhunter, it doesn't matter if it makes no sense...because that is the law.

Additionally, an out of state dealer has to comply w/state law for your state (possibly the mag-ban would apply, but waiting periods, and the approved CA-handgun list are just 2 examples)

You can buy a handgun out of your state, but as mentioned, it has to go through a dealer in your state.

In my non-legal expert opinion, it would be legal for you to buy a gun from him in your state (But, I wouldn't do it). But, I am a thinking that if he traveled out of his state to sell the gun (thereby introducing it in Interstate Commerce), that it would be illegal for a non-dealer to do that. But, then, on the other hand, if you knew that he was not a state resident, and you went to buy a gun, from a NON-DEALER, then you would be out of bounds (because you knew that he couldn't legally sell you the gun).

It is illegal for a non-dealer to sell a firearm (of any type), to a non-resident of their state (IN THEIR STATE, the above is gray area). There are dif-rules for a dealer selling a firearm. Therefore, I think he would be illegal...at the very least avoided.

You could travel to that state, give him a copy of your FFL, and a letter from your FFL authorizing you, as his Agent, to transport the firearm...not every FFL will go for this (mine won't)

Just buy the the dern gun, w/10 rounders, and buy 17 rd mags in another state...and keep your mouth shut about where you are from.
John 14:6

I think I'm in agreement with stinky on this.

A FFL dealer can't go out of state to sell firearms unless he has a business in that state.

Generally, a licensed manufacturer, importer or dealer may sell firearms temporarily at a qualifying gun show or event located within his or her State of licensure. Licensees may, however, sell curio or relic firearms to another licensee at any location.

Of course stores like Cabelas sell in many states but they have licenses in those states.

The FFL dealer can go to an out of state gun show, show the gun, take your money. But he will have to go back home and ship it to an FFL dealer in your state.

Usually a private individual can't knowingly make a sale that a FFL dealer couldn't make. There are a few exceptions to that and I don't pretend to know them but one is that a FFL dealer can only sell a handgun to someone that is 21 or older and a private individual can sell one to a person that is 18 or older.

Glad I own all the guns I want (types & calibers) already! Colorado's gun laws are ridiculous and discriminate against law-bidding purchasers.

Here's example for comparison: Make it mandatory to start doing background checks on people wanting to buy vehicles.

We already track vehicles by VIN numbers just like guns by serial number. And also mandate vehicles can ONLY be sold by a "licensed car dealer" with the buyer having to pass a background check.

That way, if a person's background check reveled anything questionable then they can't buy the vehicle. If a vehicle ever killed anyone, authorities can trace it back to all the previous owners...

What's the difference between a gun that killed someone in a robbery and a vehicle used to killed someone. I think there are millions of vehicle owners out there, some breaking the law by speeding everyday (couple of times a day) even!

2f350s: Hunt hard, hunt ethically.

It's already been mentioned but check gunbroker.com. they sell some CA, or MA legal Glock 17's on there. So they have 10 round mags. I believe you can even search by Glock 17 10 round mag.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom