Colorado has wolf pups

The good news is, the question now arrises about a reintroduction as being planned and voted on by the "whopperdicked" ballot box biologist. Can't reintroduce what's already here and as stated by our state wildlife agency they needed a breeding pair in the state to thwart the reintroduction. Be interesting to see where this goes now.

Last edited:
I can’t stand my neighbors dogs. I sure as heck ain’t gonna share my hunting opportunities with those land piranha’s.

The safest state for a wolf is Utah. Utah hunters would be too busy adding stickers on their back window to shoot a wolf. Or they can’t see them through their crappy bushnell wannabe vortex. And of course a wolf isn’t going to stand there long when the Utah hunter is looking at himself in the mirror to make sure he looks good for the ‘gram. And if my chance the utard hunter gets behind a riflescope at a wolf he will have to take time to adjust the turrets and the wolf will run away. But lightning does strike and there’s an off chance a utard would get a shot off….and wound it. It will be found dead the next spring by a utard shed hunter and be will post it on the internet calling it a “lionkill”

Utah hunters would be the Akili Smith of the wolf hunters

The safest state for a wolf is Utah. Utah hunters would be too busy adding stickers on their back window to shoot a wolf. Or they can’t see them through their crappy bushnell wannabe vortex. And of course a wolf isn’t going to stand there long when the Utah hunter is looking at himself in the mirror to make sure he looks good for the ‘gram. And if my chance the utard hunter gets behind a riflescope at a wolf he will have to take time to adjust the turrets and the wolf will run away. But lightning does strike and there’s an off chance a utard would get a shot off….and wound it. It will be found dead the next spring by a utard shed hunter and be will post it on the internet calling it a “lionkill”

Utah hunters would be the Akili Smith of the wolf hunters
?

It seems they are actively managing the few they have had.

”An 89-pound female gray wolf killed earlier this month in a strangulation snare intended for a coyote was the second wolf killed in Utah in less than a year and the third in the southern Rockies. The most recent killing occurred on or around Nov. 7 in northeastern Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The previous wolf killed in Utah was shot on Dec. 28, 2014 by a hunter who claimed he thought it was a coyote.” https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2015/wolf-11-30-2015.html

Maybe ss can Call BS!

He Ain't Got a F'N Clue!

”An 89-pound female gray wolf killed earlier this month in a strangulation snare intended for a coyote was the second wolf killed in Utah in less than a year and the third in the southern Rockies. The most recent killing occurred on or around Nov. 7 in northeastern Utah, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The previous wolf killed in Utah was shot on Dec. 28, 2014 by a hunter who claimed he thought it was a coyote.” https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/news/press_releases/2015/wolf-11-30-2015.html

Guarantee those stats are no where near total numbers of " oops,, lol,,, kick dirt on big coyote and walk away" ???

What's there to understand?
Understand you can't shoot your way out of wolves coming. Sounds good and makes guys feel like a badass. I live in Montana. Wolves were never reintroduced here. Not one single wolf. I remember the Montana badasses claiming just what Bess is bragging about. Gonna kill them all. Laffin. Now look at what we have as far as wolves here. See you in 10 years and how well you Utards kept them out. mtmuley

I Ain't BRAGGIN Bout Nothing!

I Told You They've been in this State For Decades!

The Population Just Doesn't Grow Much!

I Suppose there will come a Day They Will Expand by a Forced Move!

But Until Then.............................

Hey mt!

I Don't Think We've Ever Killed them all!

Let's Just Say:

They Seem to be Managed...................So Far!

It'll Change in the Future I'm Sure!

Question for You mt?

We've Got em!

We've Had em!

They Just Don't seem to get outa Hand here!

You Got any Rhyme Or Reason for that?

Sure is interesting that it is rare to kill a wolf in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming even when hunting them, but you guys in Utah manage to kill them all. Laffin. mtmuley

Hey mt!

I Don't Think We've Ever Killed them all!

Let's Just Say:

They Seem to be Managed...................So Far!

It'll Change in the Future I'm Sure!

Question for You mt?

We've Got em!

We've Had em!

They Just Don't seem to get outa Hand here!

You Got any Rhyme Or Reason for that?
Good luck. mtmuley

Poacher of What?

A Few Years ago A Guy Calling Coyotes Shot a Big Coyote!

Turned it in & Nothing Happened!

Been a Few Big Coyotes Caught in Snares & Traps!

Nothing Happened there!

Been a Few Shot!

Never Heard of anybody Being Fined on any of them?

POACHING?

Again. Good luck. I've never been a poacher. Have at it. mtmuley

EASY There mt!

Nobody is Accusing You of Being a Poacher!

We Know You Well enough that We know You're Obeying the Wolf Regulations!

When Average TARDS See a Wolf!

What's the 1st Thing that Comes to Mind?

"That SOB is Eating My Deer,Elk,Moose & Cattle"!

Not Sayin it's Legal mt!

But there are alot of TARDS in this State that Will Break the Law if they see a Wolf!

I'm Not Sayin Breakin the Law is Right Because it's Not!

Tell a TARD Not Too..........................and see what Happens!

Understand you can't shoot your way out of wolves coming. Sounds good and makes guys feel like a badass. I live in Montana. Wolves were never reintroduced here. Not one single wolf. I remember the Montana badasses claiming just what Bess is bragging about. Gonna kill them all. Laffin. Now look at what we have as far as wolves here. See you in 10 years and how well you Utards kept them out. mtmuley

The power of a tribe is limitless. Once they decide it has a direct impact on them, the wolf thing becomes a target for removal.

I've seen that "power" at work...

The power of a tribe is limitless. Once they decide it has a direct impact on them, the wolf thing becomes a target for removal.

I've seen that "power" at work...
Yeah. Worked great in Montana.I bet the Tribe here has been killing wolves in Montana before you even knew it was coming. I'll check back in 10 years. Hell, I've been here longer than that. mtmuley

You Gotta Keep Numbers in Check mt!:D

It'll Be Here Too in Time!

But You Gotta Admit!

Most Of What Migrated South Far Enough To Cross Our Border Never Made it Back across the Border When They Headed Back North!:D

I know bess, you guys are badasses and the rest of us just F-upped. Go kill them wolves. mtmuley

We don't have many wolves in Utah because the fish and game only manage to kill big game animals off. They kinda sorta can manage ducks oh wait never mind.

Say the Guy That SUCKS Everything Our Government Preaches To Heart!

Carry on with your BS!

Have to leave the keyboard to do that...ain't happening, leaving the keyboard.

Pretty funny to listen to people that cant find an elk to kill on a general tag, carry on about killing wolves.

Yeah. Worked great in Montana.I bet the Tribe here has been killing wolves in Montana before you even knew it was coming. I'll check back in 10 years. Hell, I've been here longer than that. mtmuley

You can check back yearly. Don't tell the couple dudes who have "been keeping them in check", but they seem to be missing a few, or ammo got to expensive.

I mean one might ask, where did those naturally occurring wolves in Colorado come from? Kansas? Or possibly the neighbor to the west

I wonder just how many truly pro-hunting and pro-fishing DNR's remain west of the Mississippi or are they all like CO's anti-hunting to at least some degree?

You can check back yearly. Don't tell the couple dudes who have "been keeping them in check", but they seem to be missing a few, or ammo got to expensive.

I mean one might ask, where did those naturally occurring wolves in Colorado come from? Kansas? Or possibly the neighbor to the west

Curious why the mexican gray's haven't had a surge in population like other species up north have had to where it decimated an elk herd?

Maybe the protein mix in Gila elk is substandard and causes them to occasionally go sterile, or, the locals just take care of business and don't talk about it...

From Pens to Dens: A Record Number of Mexican Wolf Pups Fostered into the Wild
Fostered Mexican wolf pups advance genetic recovery effort

PINETOP, Ariz. -- A record 22 captive-born Mexican wolf pups were placed in wild dens to be raised in the wild by their surrogate parents after another successful cross-foster season. For six years, wild Mexican wolves have been raising captive-born pups as their own, helping to boost the genetic diversity of this endangered subspecies and moving the wild population towards recovery.

During April and May, nine pups were fostered into three different packs in eastern Arizona and 13 were fostered into five packs in western New Mexico.

“Fostering is an outstanding example of a working private-public recovery program. Wolf recovery has to recognize the importance of meeting genetic criteria, which requires many private organizations maintaining captive wolves for release into the wild. Without this important partnership, genetic recovery would be essentially impossible,” said Jim deVos, AZGFD Mexican Wolf Coordinator. “Importantly, we are now seeing Mexican wolves that have been fostered producing litters themselves supporting the use of fostering as an effective conservation tool.”

Cross-fostering is a proven method used by the Mexican Wolf Interagency Field Team (IFT) to increase genetic diversity in the wild Mexican wolf population. It involves placing genetically diverse pups that are 14 days or younger from the captive breeding population into wild dens with similarly aged pups to be raised in the wild by experienced wolves. The IFT has documented that cross-fostered pups have the same survival rate as wild-born pups in their first year of life (about 50%).

“The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service remains committed to improving the health of the wild population of Mexican wolves, and cross-fostering is one of the many tools we are using to make progress in that direction,” said Allison Greenleaf, biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “To see this program continuing to have success is a true testament to the hard work of all our field staff and partners.”

Five different captive-born litters provided Mexican wolf pups for fostering into the wild population. The following facilities provided pups this year:​
  • Endangered Wolf Center in Eureka, Missouri: one litter provided two pups into the Owl Canyon Pack in New Mexico and three pups into the Elk Horn Pack in Arizona; a second litter provided three pups into the Lava Pack in New Mexico and three pups into the Hoodoo Pack in Arizona
  • El Paso Zoo in El Paso, Texas: one litter provided three pups into the Castle Rock Pack in Arizona and one pup into the Leon Pack in New Mexico;
  • Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in Socorro, New Mexico: one litter provided two pups into the San Mateo Pack in New Mexico and two pups into the Leon Pack in New Mexico; a second litter provided three pups into the Dark Canyon Pack in New Mexico.

Aerial support for this year’s operations was provided by three private organizations: LightHawk Conservation Flying and APLux and Aero Charter. In addition, Arizona Game and Fish Department provided air support to facilitate fostering efforts.

“The cooperation between Arizona Game and Fish Department, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and New Mexico Department of Game and Fish has allowed another record year, allowing us to improve the genetic diversity in the wild population and gaining on the goal for genetic recovery,” said Stewart Liley, Wildlife Management Division Chief at New Mexico Department of Game and Fish.

Since the beginning of the cross-fostering program, the IFT has documented a minimum of 12 cross-fostered wolves currently alive and surviving in the wild. Seven of these wolves have reached breeding age (two years old) and count toward the Mexican Wolf Recovery Plan criterion for genetic recovery of the population. Four of these cross-fostered wolves have subsequently produced pups in the wild. Pups are too young to mark when fostered, therefore only those that are recaptured can be confirmed as being alive. It is likely that other fostered pups are alive and contributing to improving the genetic diversity of the wild population and helping meet recovery criteria.

The IFT will continue to monitor the packs that pups were placed in through GPS and radio telemetry signals from collars on older wolves within the pack to avoid further disturbance. Later, through remote camera observations and efforts to capture the young of the year, the IFT plans to document additional survival of cross-fostered pups.

The end-of-year census for 2020 showed a minimum of 186 wild Mexican wolves in the Mexican Wolf Experimental Population Area (72 in Arizona and 114 in New Mexico). This marked a 14% increase in the population from a minimum of 163 wolves counted at the end of 2019. The IFT documented a 24% growth in the Mexican wolf population in 2019, which has nearly doubled in size over the last five years.

Cross-fostering is a coordinated effort of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Arizona Game and Fish Department, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, Bureau of Land Management, New Mexico State Lands Office, U.S. Forest Service, and the Mexican Wolf Species Survival Plan.

For more information on the Mexican Wolf Recovery Program, visit the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s website or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s website.

PINETOP, Ariz. -- A record 22 captive-born Mexican wolf pups were placed in wild dens to be raised in the wild by their surrogate parents after another successful cross-foster season. For six years, wild Mexican wolves have been raising captive-born pups as their own, helping to boost the genetic diversity of this endangered subspecies and moving the wild population towards recovery.

During April and May, nine pups were fostered into three different packs in eastern Arizona and 13 were fostered into five packs in western New Mexico.

“Fostering is an outstanding example of a working private-public recovery program. Wolf recovery has to recognize the importance of meeting genetic criteria, which requires many private organizations maintaining captive wolves for release into the wild. Without this important partnership, genetic recovery would be essentially impossible,” said Jim deVos, AZGFD Mexican Wolf Coordinator. “Importantly, we are now seeing Mexican wolves that have been fostered producing litters themselves supporting the use of fostering as an effective conservation tool.”

Cross-fostering is a proven method used by the Mexican Wolf Interagency Field Team (IFT) to increase genetic diversity in the wild Mexican wolf population. It involves placing genetically diverse pups that are 14 days or younger from the captive breeding population into wild dens with similarly aged pups to be raised in the wild by experienced wolves. The IFT has documented that cross-fostered pups have the same survival rate as wild-born pups in their first year of life (about 50%).

“The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service remains committed to improving the health of the wild population of Mexican wolves, and cross-fostering is one of the many tools we are using to make progress in that direction,” said Allison Greenleaf, biologist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. “To see this program continuing to have success is a true testament to the hard work of all our field staff and partners.”

Five different captive-born litters provided Mexican wolf pups for fostering into the wild population. The following facilities provided pups this year:​
  • Endangered Wolf Center in Eureka, Missouri: one litter provided two pups into the Owl Canyon Pack in New Mexico and three pups into the Elk Horn Pack in Arizona; a second litter provided three pups into the Lava Pack in New Mexico and three pups into the Hoodoo Pack in Arizona
  • El Paso Zoo in El Paso, Texas: one litter provided three pups into the Castle Rock Pack in Arizona and one pup into the Leon Pack in New Mexico;
  • Sevilleta National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, in Socorro, New Mexico: one litter provided two pups into the San Mateo Pack in New Mexico and two pups into the Leon Pack in New Mexico; a second litter provided three pups into the Dark Canyon Pack in New Mexico.

Aerial support for this year’s operations was provided by three private organizations: LightHawk Conservation Flying and APLux and Aero Charter. In addition, Arizona Game and Fish Department provided air support to facilitate fostering efforts.

“The cooperation between Arizona Game and Fish Department, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and New Mexico Department of Game and Fish has allowed another record year, allowing us to improve the genetic diversity in the wild population and gaining on the goal for genetic recovery,” said Stewart Liley, Wildlife Management Division Chief at New Mexico Department of Game and Fish.

Since the beginning of the cross-fostering program, the IFT has documented a minimum of 12 cross-fostered wolves currently alive and surviving in the wild. Seven of these wolves have reached breeding age (two years old) and count toward the Mexican Wolf Recovery Plan criterion for genetic recovery of the population. Four of these cross-fostered wolves have subsequently produced pups in the wild. Pups are too young to mark when fostered, therefore only those that are recaptured can be confirmed as being alive. It is likely that other fostered pups are alive and contributing to improving the genetic diversity of the wild population and helping meet recovery criteria.

The IFT will continue to monitor the packs that pups were placed in through GPS and radio telemetry signals from collars on older wolves within the pack to avoid further disturbance. Later, through remote camera observations and efforts to capture the young of the year, the IFT plans to document additional survival of cross-fostered pups.

The end-of-year census for 2020 showed a minimum of 186 wild Mexican wolves in the Mexican Wolf Experimental Population Area (72 in Arizona and 114 in New Mexico). This marked a 14% increase in the population from a minimum of 163 wolves counted at the end of 2019. The IFT documented a 24% growth in the Mexican wolf population in 2019, which has nearly doubled in size over the last five years.

Cross-fostering is a coordinated effort of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Arizona Game and Fish Department, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, Bureau of Land Management, New Mexico State Lands Office, U.S. Forest Service, and the Mexican Wolf Species Survival Plan.

For more information on the Mexican Wolf Recovery Program, visit the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s website or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s website.

Sounds quite a bit like the infectious disease work at the Wuhan Lab. The more the spread the better.

At least Wolves are native to CO.

Here in Nevada, we have wild horses eating up all the feed for the deer/elk an breeding faster. Then they are protected, even though not native.

Mexican woof’s had a pretty good year. Up 14% last year.

Insignificant though considering the size of the territory.

I don't think it requires landmines but hey, to each their own. I'm just saying obviously the wolf is killable and yes cyanide and a few other things were a little different but technology certainly has advanced. You have fun playing with your land mines...

Curious why the mexican gray's haven't had a surge in population like other species up north have had to where it decimated an elk herd?

Maybe the protein mix in Gila elk is substandard and causes them to occasionally go sterile, or, the locals just take care of business and don't talk about it...

Go shoot one.

I know one cement finisher who enjoyed the fed pen from shooting a red.

I don't think it requires landmines but hey, to each their own. I'm just saying obviously the wolf is killable and yes cyanide and a few other things were a little different but technology certainly has advanced. You have fun playing with your land mines...
There is ZERO chance of those methods being approved in Colorado. I suspect there will be a low tolerance for those who choose them, not to mention the public flogging you would get.

The ONLY way we could back this up is if the state was split in two (as has been discussed for decades). Then the west/south slope would have a say in the matter.

We need wolves killed in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. When are some of you Utah badasses that are so good at killing them going to come and help out? We have way more wolves than Utah. Should be easy for you. You can stay at my house, and I'll drive. Nearest wolf pack is about three miles away from my house. At least that's how far the only one I've managed to kill was. mtmuley

We need wolves killed in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. When are some of you Utah badasses that are so good at killing them going to come and help out? We have way more wolves than Utah. Should be easy for you. You can stay at my house, and I'll drive. Nearest wolf pack is about three miles away from my house. At least that's how far the only one I've managed to kill was. mtmuley
Everybody knows the best woof huntin is on the internet.

Take Your "WOLF LUVIN" Rhetoric Somewhere Else!

There Are Places For them!

The Western Middle States Ain't Any of Them!

Unless You Don't Care about Your Big Game Herds!

We've Still Got Utah General Bull Elk To Hunt!

It Wasn't Me that Shot This Wolf!

But You Get the Picture,Right?

Post up all the photo's of the general UT elk you've killed lately...oh, and the wolves you've shot...tuffie.

hh wolf.jpg

Take Your "WOLF LUVIN" Rhetoric Somewhere Else!

There Are Places For them!

The Western Middle States Ain't Any of Them!

Unless You Don't Care about Your Big Game Herds!

We've Still Got Utah General Bull Elk To Hunt!

It Wasn't Me that Shot This Wolf!

But You Get the Picture,Right?

View attachment 43442
You didnt have to tell me you didn't shoot that wolf...the only thing you "shoot" is your mouth, and yourself in the foot.

You didnt have to tell me you didn't shoot that wolf...the only thing you "shoot" is your mouth, and yourself in the foot.
I’ve seen bobcat at the expo, he’s wolf’d down some cheeseburgers in his day…

I have helped in Idaho. But I'm not from Utah nor a badass. It just strikes me as funny when someone refers to a wolf as unkillable. Given the history.... Now coyotes, there's your unstoppable mutt.

Utah is a much different beast than either Idaho or Montana or Wyoming. In those three states there are great expanses of untouchable country that wolves can die of old age or more likely starvation in. Without having much dealings with man. In Utah there is a road for every tard. There is not enough country to roam without crossing roads, cabins and all other sorts of trash. So both sides, in my opinion, have valid points.

Wolves have to follow ungulates, just the way it works. When elk winter in Central Idaho, they are in much different country than any wintering elk in Utah. That I know of. That is the reason wolves will have a harder time taking hold there. Everything is too accessible for the 2 legged doushbags.

Utah is a much different beast than either Idaho or Montana or Wyoming. In those three states there are great expanses of untouchable country that wolves can die of old age or more likely starvation in. Without having much dealings with man. In Utah there is a road for every tard. There is not enough country to roam without crossing roads, cabins and all other sorts of trash. So both sides, in my opinion, have valid points.

Wolves have to follow ungulates, just the way it works. When elk winter in Central Idaho, they are in much different country than any wintering elk in Utah. That I know of. That is the reason wolves will have a harder time taking hold there. Everything is too accessible for the 2 legged doushbags.
Valid points. Not to mention every utard is a bragger and has to share everything they kill…

This explains the howling I heard in gmu 27 during muzzleloader season last year and why the elk weren't talking.

When I got back to the truck I told my hunting partner that I had heard one but being a flatlander who never saw or heard a wolf before I couldn't tell for sure.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom